Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this popped up today... anyone have any experience with it yet? It looks eerily similar to Lyft's Scheduling system; I hope it doesn't function as poorly. Interested in hearing what others may have seen thus far... 🤷🏻

Font Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Brand
Font Multimedia Rectangle Software Screenshot

·
Premium Member
11,615 Posts
So this popped up today... anyone have any experience with it yet? It looks eerily similar to Lyft's Scheduling system; I hope it doesn't function as poorly. Interested in hearing what others may have seen thus far... 🤷🏻

View attachment 520019 View attachment 520020
It would make sense for Uber to implement this. I had a 3:40am ping a couple of days ago which came in at 3.5x for a long scheduled ride for which no other driver was evidently available or willing to take. It makes little sense for Uber to leave the driver scheduling to the last minute and then have to pay over the odds minutes before the ride is due to start.

But in terms of whether or not it will work better than Lyft's version.... I would say the odds are against it.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks like its exclusively in your market.
I haven't heard a mention from anyone else, and when at a airport this morning, nobody else (out of a whole three others with whom I talked) had seen anything of it yet either. Like many things, it may well be a phased rollout of sorts. Hmm.

It would make sense for Uber to implement this. I had a 3:40am ping a couple of days ago which came in at 3.5x for a long scheduled ride for which no other driver was evidently available or willing to take. It makes little sense for Uber to leave the driver scheduling to the last minute and then have to pay over the odds minutes before the ride is due to start.

But in terms of whether or not it will work better than Lyft's version.... I would say the odds are against it.
I agree. It definitely makes sense. The part which makes it stand out (to me) is that, for one, I'm not in CA- while occasionally I do see adjusted surge for scheduled pickups (though I always know what areas/times tend to produce them), on most instances they tend to be flung out as "pickup premium likely," and just as one hits a $1-3 sticky surge. I take them when it makes sense- in the past week, I've noticed the offer screen makes no mention of "scheduled." (IME, that was always up-front until a week ago).
I've also noticed that Uber has oftentimes "eaten" any surge, long pickup fee, etc. on these in the market where I drive. Not always, but often.
Perhaps they're looking to cease that monetary loss? Hmm. Makes sense, of course. What gets me is that they seem to get folks picked up right within the window here (according to my experience & as stated by pax I've asked when the time/location seemed... well, risky).

We shall see!

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts

View attachment 520019 View attachment 520020
Driver gets to pick up Covid 19 positive pax. 😛 Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas 🎄😛

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
To me, it looks like the equivalent of a scheduled trip.

My experience with scheduled trips is that they're the most likely ones to be no-shows.
Not only that.....you can't do any rides for an hour before the scheduled ride for fear of being taken out of town, or otherwise being late for the scheduled pick up. It's definitely not for me.....unless the scheduled ride is a long ride and the only ride you plan on giving that day.

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
Not only that.....you can't do any rides for an hour before the scheduled ride for fear of being taken out of town, or otherwise being late for the scheduled pick up. It's definitely not for me.....unless the scheduled ride is a long ride and the only ride you plan on giving that day.
And that my friends is exactly the reason ive never done a ride like that
(not even to mention they have
a habit of giving the ride away
to someone else for no reason)

·
25,709 Posts
I can only assume that a passenger can request you specifically
That would be a new twist and they could run up against a regulatory wall in some jurisdictions. Unless the customer tips well, I could see most of them disappointed.. I would not accept an advance reservation for Uber/Lyft garbage rates.

I have not seen this here.

Original Poster lives in Texas. It could be a test market for this.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Scheduled trips, or appointment-based car service (limo) is a different animal. The hour prior to any trip is generally blocked out. You are usually unavailable to do any work during that hour. It’s an appointment! Mustn’t be late...ever.

Occasionally there’s a possibility to “stack” trips so you could get three done in say 3 hours. This requires the stars to align. But for the most part, any airport job on an appointment takes approximately 1.5 hours start-to-finish; more if you live in a city with high levels of traffic congestion. Thus, you need to get paid. Well.

If a ride share company wants in on that part of the business, then they’d meet regulatory fights, and, they would need to charge prices similar to limo in order to find drivers willing to use their time that way. But, in order to charge limo rates, the cars and drivers would be need to compete with limo chauffeurs and limo cars. A Prius ain’t gonna work. Showing up in shorts and a T-shirt ain’t gonna cut it.

Taxis also are in the Prearranged World to a limited extent. But they generally avoid making appointments. It’s not profitable in terms of opportunity cost.

The other issue that‘s a key differentiator is that customers spending more for trips to the airport want privacy. They prefer to see the same driver each time, and they are not anxious to share gate codes with 20 different Lyft drivers they might use in a year.

These are natural market differences. Uber’s a good on-demand service (except for the odd murder or rape popping up from time to time.). That happens with taxi too. And limo chauffeurs are occasionally guilty. But, the short version: moving people is either on-demand, or by appointment. It’s tough to run both

What if rideshare was actually sharing of rides? As in: “I’m going to Target, is there anyone in my immediate area, right now, or say on Tuesday. that would like to share the cost of the trip to Target? Now the phrase ride share has come to mean something else.

Personally, I would see Uber Scheduled rides as a fit for UBER BLK, SUV. Those drivers are already working on appointment-based jobs outside of Uber or Lyft. Doesn’t work for regular Lyft or UBERX.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
This says that the pax can request you. At least that's the way I read it.
It also says "Read and agree to the reservations policy to receive requests." Kind of difficult to read and agree because there's no link etc. to the said document. Pretty sure that document would explain things, but since we are talking about Uber after all, it doesn't surprise me the document is nowhere to be found.

Until that document is found or other info given by Uber, I still maintain my earlier view.

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
I don’t have the “reservations” in my Uber app. As I understand it when a customer schedules a pick up, Uber just pings a driver that is available and relatively close at the scheduled pick up time. In my experience these are typically early morning airport rides and are often long pickups. I love these rides. The pay is decent tips are good and the long pick up fee is a bonus. And i can convert these customers to be my customer when they return home

As you know, Lyft is different. When a customer schedules a ride with Lyft, Lyft immediately offers that ride on the app. I subscribe to a service that watches the app on my behalf. When they see a ride in an area I have defined that meets my criteria (at least 15 miles and between 3 and 8 am) they accept it for me. i can drop the ride at any time. But I usually don’t. This is my first ride of the day. So no more getting up at 3:00 hoping for a good ride to start my day. I wake up knowing I have a good ride to start my day
And these customers are excellent prospects for my private ride business

I like scheduled rides down time and all

1 - 20 of 24 Posts