Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the IPhone through uber to become a driver between my full time job. Adding my trips was over $300, By the time the did all their taxes and fees I only received about $50 which only replaced my gas, so I feel like I drove for them for free. Its impossible to make out good unless you have an IPhone already or are working full time or within the times they want you to work. It is false advertisement to think this is a good part time make your own schedule gig. Also I drove 32 passengers and never got my bonus. It wasn't even acknowledged that I hit the 30 ride mark. I drove 32 people around for free basically. Never Again. I'm going back to lyft where I saw money coming into my account on a regular from the start. Maybe after I paid off the IPhone I would have saw some profit, but this is ridiculous and I want the world to know how they treat their part time drivers.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If you use the standard mileage deduction, it's likely that you will show a loss.

But, in reality, with a reasonable business plan, you should easily be able to beat 57.5 cents per mile in expenses.

BTW, I bought a $40 Moto Android phone with a $45 per month plan, and it works just fine. You don't have to get an expensive phone.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What is special about the 30 ride mark?

I think the Iphone thing is a rip off. They have apps for both iphone and android, and Uber uses a backend calling app to prevent your real phone number from being seen by customers.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I ordered the IPhone through uber to become a driver between my full time job. Adding my trips was over $300, By the time the did all their taxes and fees I only received about $50 which only replaced my gas, so I feel like I drove for them for free. Its impossible to make out good unless you have an IPhone already or are working full time or within the times they want you to work. It is false advertisement to think this is a good part time make your own schedule gig. Also I drove 32 passengers and never got my bonus. It wasn't even acknowledged that I hit the 30 ride mark. I drove 32 people around for free basically. Never Again. I'm going back to lyft where I saw money coming into my account on a regular from the start. Maybe after I paid off the IPhone I would have saw some profit, but this is ridiculous and I want the world to know how they treat their part time drivers.
For cheap UBER service, you need a cheap phone service. Try www.freedompop.com for $20 per month. - **Never order the Samsung Victory model.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fees are probably the safe ride fees. uber gets their 20% cut. if you only have short rides in the city you won't make much. They are also charging you a $50 deposit for your phone and the $10 weekly rental fee. return the phone, and get your deposit back. you can get it cheaper on your own. plus you can deduct the whole thing from your taxes. I labeled mine "Uber Phone" and is only used for uber (for now). Try to get out of the city to get longer rides and you will see your income increase. It is called drive smart, and it really helps. I average $25/hr.. I have been driving for 7 months

·
Registered
5 Posts
See I fail to see the sense in it much longer with the consistent drops in rates. Google 2015 Mileage damage to your Vehicle and you will find that on average you are doing a minimum of .58 of damage to your vehicle (if you drive a medium or smaller sedan). Uber takes a minimum 20% and I heard rates may increase to 25% for new drivers. so that's another .30 per mile reduction. So you are at roughly .90 cent reduction. Then average at the Maryland & Federal tax average of 20% (that's on the low end 30% on someone who has little to no exemptions) The Taxes are derived from your original take so 1.20 * 20%= .25 Per mile (at least)

So To Sum it Up:
Mile Start 1.50- Minus depreciation/gas =.90
Minus Ubers' Fees= .60
Minus Taxes= .45 per mile

.45 per mile is what most individuals (not everyone and obviously not during Surge) are bringing home... Good luck to anyone trying to do this fulltime.

At least for the actual cabbies they pay a "nut" at the beginning of the week gas their car and anything else they make they keep- no damage to their vehicle. If it wasn't only a part time gig- I would consider being a full time taxi cab not a full time uber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts