Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with the law office of Brian Mahany who is trying to get a class action together against Uber. Unfortunately, they need someone from Cook County to contact them and I live in Lake County.

http://fox6now.com/2016/06/24/class-action-lawsuit-wisconsin-uber-drivers-sue-uber/

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...owes-overtime-tips-b99750441z1-384339931.html

I have been unfairly deactivated for the 4th time and Uber is not responding to my emails. I'm sick of this.

If there is anyone in Cook County that is in the same situation or otherwise being unfairly treated by Uber....please contact the office of Brian Mahany @ 414-258-2375.

I spoke with a very nice lady from this office. I forgot to ask her name, but they seem very interested in getting a case started that can include us Chicago area drivers who have been treated unfairly.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Just think of all the wonderful places in Chicago Uber could require us to work in the middle of the night. Being an employee would be great!
On a serious side I don't think many of us want to be true employees. I do think most of us would like to be treated more like true independent contractors with a lot more transparency in many areas.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just think of all the wonderful places in Chicago Uber could require us to work in the middle of the night. Being an employee would be great!
On a serious side I don't think many of us want to be true employees. I do think most of us would like to be treated more like true independent contractors with a lot more transparency in many areas.
This is my complaint also! We are NOT being treated like INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS! They SAY one thing....but DO another.

If we are supposedly free to 'accept or cancel' any ride requests.....then why are we penalized for exercising this right? WHY?

Uber speaks out of both sides of their mouth. I'm sick of it.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mind telling us why you were deactivated four times and how, why you were reinstated?
The first 3 times? Supposedly 'too many cancellations'. Even though I was never given a 'number' that is supposedly considered 'too many'.

This time? A former passenger put in a complaint because I asked her to cancel. (This is my only recourse....since if "I" cancel....I get deactivated for "too many cancels") She threw a hissy fit and reported me to Uber for 'discrimination'. LOL

Now Uber will not answer my emails and they did not even have the DECENCY to INFORM me that they were deactivating me. Even NOW...I don't even know if this is permanent or temporary.

UBER is forcing us to take rides that are money losers! I would have driven 15 minutes to this pick up to bring her 2 minutes down the street.

NO. NO. NO. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

If there was a guarantee active.....then no problem....but there was NO GUARANTEE active for last weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah that's generally the goal. Most of us don't want to be employees, but it'd be nice to actually be able to, yknow, actually run my own business. Uber two faces the heck out of it

·
Registered
532 Posts
The first 3 times? Supposedly 'too many cancellations'. Even though I was never given a 'number' that is supposedly considered 'too many'.

This time? A former passenger put in a complaint because I asked her to cancel. (This is my only recourse....since if "I" cancel....I get deactivated for "too many cancels") She threw a hissy fit and reported me to Uber for 'discrimination'. LOL

Now Uber will not answer my emails and they did not even have the DECENCY to INFORM me that they were deactivating me. Even NOW...I don't even know if this is permanent or temporary.

UBER is forcing us to take rides that are money losers! I would have driven 15 minutes to this pick up to bring her 2 minutes down the street.

NO. NO. NO. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

If there was a guarantee active.....then no problem....but there was NO GUARANTEE active for last weekend.
When a rider cancels, they are given a dropdown menu asking the reason for canceling. One of the options is " the driver asked me to cancel". If the rider chooses this option, uber treats it the same as if the driver cancelled.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Don't accept the ride of its over 10 mins away, some people don't accept it if it's over 6-8 mins away. It's better to not accept, then to accept and cancel.

Go to the office and talk to a person. Be nice and sorry, and they should be able to help. I haven't had any problems like this, so I can't help, but I have read that people in the office are a little better then email.

Good luck and keep us updated. Do you drive for Lyft too?

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't accept the ride of its over 10 mins away, some people don't accept it if it's over 6-8 mins away. It's better to not accept, then to accept and cancel.

Go to the office and talk to a person. Be nice and sorry, and they should be able to help. I haven't had any problems like this, so I can't help, but I have read that people in the office are a little better then email.

Good luck and keep us updated. Do you drive for Lyft too?
I was reactivated. But I'm still fuming. Blaringly absen was an apology from Uber. I lose a day of guarantee pay.....because a random crazy pax wants her min $2 ride to the grocery store and would like ME to subsidize it for her....and then puts in a fraudulent report against me so that I cannot drive for the next 36 hrs. I lost probably a little over $100 due to not being able to drive yesterday.

Yet....no apologies from Uber.....and worse yet, the pax is still able to request an Uber.

Yes....I am also a Lyft driver....but I can't just turn on the app from home to get pings.....I have to drive 10 miles south to get pings....and even then, they are few and far between. :oops:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I was reactivated. But I'm still fuming. Blaringly absen was an apology from Uber. I lose a day of guarantee pay.....because a random crazy pax wants her min $2 ride to the grocery store and would like ME to subsidize it for her....and then puts in a fraudulent report against me so that I cannot drive for the next 36 hrs. I lost probably a little over $100 due to not being able to drive yesterday.

Yet....no apologies from Uber.....and worse yet, the pax is still able to request an Uber.

Yes....I am also a Lyft driver....but I can't just turn on the app from home to get pings.....I have to drive 10 miles south to get pings....and even then, they are few and far between. :oops:
Don't accept those rides, just let them time out and you should be good. Uber is not going to apologize, but I'm glad you got back on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just got off the phone with the law office of Brian Mahany who is trying to get a class action together against Uber. Unfortunately, they need someone from Cook County to contact them and I live in Lake County.

http://fox6now.com/2016/06/24/class-action-lawsuit-wisconsin-uber-drivers-sue-uber/

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...owes-overtime-tips-b99750441z1-384339931.html

I have been unfairly deactivated for the 4th time and Uber is not responding to my emails. I'm sick of this.

If there is anyone in Cook County that is in the same situation or otherwise being unfairly treated by Uber....please contact the office of Brian Mahany @ 414-258-2375.

I spoke with a very nice lady from this office. I forgot to ask her name, but they seem very interested in getting a case started that can include us Chicago area drivers who have been treated unfairly.
Contacted the office...nice people.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LEAFdriver, God protects us from dangers seen and unseen. You got the break that you probably wouldn't have taken your self.
I definitely believe that Ms.Doe ! Whenever it is that I am permanently deactivated will probably be at just the right time for me. From now on, I am only driving during guarantees....when I won't worry about driving 15 minutes for a 2 minute ride. I knew I shouldn't have signed on last Sunday without a guarantee in place. Live and learn! :oops:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don't accept pings over whatever your comfort zone, mine is 10 minutes in the city, 8 in the subs, unless its a select ride. And accepting and cancelling is just not a good idea

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts

According to this thread https://uberpeople.net/threads/class-action-lawsuit-wisconsin-uber-drivers-sue-uber.86372/ in the "NEWS" forum, the lawsuit was started last Friday, June 24, 2016 on behalf of Wisconsin drivers. Perhaps they want to add drivers who reside in Cook county to the group of Plaintiffs.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I don't understand why he would need someone from Cook County. The original suit seems to be specific to Wisconsin. I doubt a Wisconsin ruling would be binding in Illinois and if he wants to broaden the class, why would he skip over the county that borders Wisconsin instead of including the entire state? The California and Massachusetts litigations were specific to those states.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If Brian Mahany (website: http://www.brianmahany.com/ ) is willing to consider class-action, he's confident of winning. This guy is not a fly-by-night ambulance chaser.
idk but this is looks like another big case for Brian Mahany , few month ago in california was similar case uber pay 100 milion to drivers , idk how many drivers was but probably over 10 000 , just to easy calculate Brian make settlement ( most case like this finished ) for 100 milion he gonna take 30-40 % and if gonna be 10000 drivers , each driver will get like 6-7k , sorry but the guy not gonna fight to win this case , he just wanna make big money and in this case only attorney will made it , probably he need someone from cook county to made this case bigger and get more drivers from cook county ( more drivers , bigger case = more money )

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
She needs someone in Cook to file another one in Chicago.
That's what confuses me. The Journal Sentinel article says they filed in federal court in Wisconsin. If they intend to do the same in Illinois, that's the Northern District court which includes Cook, Lake and DuPage counties. It just makes me wonder why he needs someone specifically from Cook.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts