Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First time driver for a car sharing system. Need a little help clarifying Uber's calculations to see if I'm understanding correctly. I did my first drives yesterday, 5 in total. When I login in to my account today, all 5 show up (great!). When viewing the main page, it shows "summary" at top and "trips" below. All of the trips look correct. The "summary" at top indicates a 5-trip fare total of $28.97... all looks fine up to this point.

Next, I click on the link for the next pay statement. The first line item on the pay statement is "Fare", which is $23.97 (a $5 difference from the total on the main page). Underneath "fare" there is a rider fee that shows a $5 increase and then a $5 deduction (so a net of zero), and from there is subtracts my Uber partner fee.

Contrary to the fact that the homepage tells me my fares generated $28.97, the pay statement says they generated $23.97. It appears that Uber is deducting $1 per trip from my fare total and THEN afterwards also deducts their 25%. On the pay statement page, it gives the impression that the driver fee is an in-and-out that has no impact. However, they've in fact already deducted this $5 from the fare total that shows on the homepage.

Granted, the pay hasn't completed yet, so it's possible what I "think" is going to happen doesn't, but it sure looks like Uber has intentions of dinging me $1 per trip as a rider fee, and then also deducting their 25% afterwards.

For anyone who's not a new user, is how the math is supposed to work or is this some kind of glitch? Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
1. This is not "car sharing". Get that in your pipe and smoke it right now. You are an underpaid, underappreciated, underinsured taxi.

2. No glitch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was browsing the forum after posting and noticed this post after I posted mine (https://uberpeople.net/threads/does...n-gives-it-back-at-the-end-of-the-week.37060/). From this, it does look like others are experiencing the same thing, so apparently not a glitch. If this is accurate, I just really dislike the way in which "fare" is presented on the homepage vs. the pay statement page. If Uber really "adds in" the rider fee as it appears from the in-and-out calculation, this should be a net zero impact to driver. It doesn't appear that's the case; the driver eats the fee. Their math looks like a (not so-) clever attempt by Uber to disguise the fact that they're charging you a $1 for every rider prior to them taking their 25%. I hope there aren't people looking to actually make real money using Uber in Indianapolis... averaging $6 a ride gross, Uber takes a $1 + 25%... that math works out to Uber collecting 38% of my gross fare... YIKES!

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
On the summary page, it has the fare totaled with the rider fee. This is what the rider was charged. On the payment page, the fare from the Summary page is listed as separate entries under the "Payments" heading, with the rider fee also being listed under the "Deductions" heading, along with the Uber fee.

It could be presented clearer; but, my summaries and statements seem to be correct. Keep an eye on your trips, though. Nothing wrong with keeping a screen shot of all your trip when you first get the total, at least until you're paid and especially if there's a issue with the trip not starting or stopped correctly.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The dollar is the Safe Rider Fee. It is collected by Uber on your behalf and you pay it back to them. It is a wash, as you noticed. $5 in and $5 out. Your pay is fare minus SRF multiplied by 75% plus any tolls.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If this is accurate, I just really dislike the way in which "fare" is presented on the homepage vs. the pay statement page.

I hope there aren't people looking to actually make real money using Uber in Indianapolis... averaging $6 a ride gross, Uber takes a $1 + 25%... that math works out to Uber collecting 38% of my gross fare... YIKES!
We all dislike how Uber advertises what drivers can make in "fares" because it has nothing to do with what drivers actually take home in fares.

Hourly guarantees are calculated the same way.... on gross fares. It's B.S. marketing to bring in as many new drivers as possible.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Uber shows you the GROSS (total) FARE that the rider pays.
No differently than if you sold something/anything to a consumer on behalf of a store or service company.

Your PAY STATEMENT shows you the NET AMOUNT you earned and get paid.

Think of it this way:
You work in stationary store and sell a set of printed-custom invitations to a customer.
  • The price of the stationary is $90
  • The store charges a $5 printing set-up fee
  • And the sales tax is $5
The total bill to the costumer comes to $100.00.
THAT is what the cash register shows - that's what the receipt shows.

But that is NOT the amount YOU get paid.
If (for the sake of example) you were paid strictly on a commission basis at the rate of 50% on the price of goods sold,
your EARNINGS would be 50% of $90 (not 50% of $100).

THAT is how your pay is calculated.
(with one difference: Uber reports the $1/ride SRF to the IRS as income to you -
and you have to claim that as an expense deduction on your tax return so you don't pay taxes on it)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
While some of the claims of misleading marketing regarding pay are 100% true, the use of SRF in calculation of guarantee is not. As you can seen from a pay statement I had back in August in which I only was online for a 7 hour guarantee shift (because I knew it was close to home and going to be a great profit margin) the SRF is calculated separately. I was entitled to $172.50 gross, I earned $52.16 so they owed me $120.34, take off commission ($120.34 x 80%) and they owe me $96.27, which is what they deposited.

http://instagr.am/p/8GekdvL6xA/

Reactions: Michael - Cleveland

·
Registered
501 Posts
While some of the claims of misleading marketing regarding pay are 100% true, the use of SRF in calculation of guarantee is not. As you can seen from a pay statement I had back in August in which I only was online for a 7 hour guarantee shift (because I knew it was close to home and going to be a great profit margin) the SRF is calculated separately. I was entitled to $172.50 gross, I earned $52.16 so they owed me $120.34, take off commission ($120.34 x 80%) and they owe me $96.27, which is what they deposited.

http://instagr.am/p/8GekdvL6xA/
You are right Barry! They made a small but positive change on this one. I checked a recent statement and they did remove SRFs from guarantee calculation.

Earlier this year in Dallas, they looked at total fares (with SRF), then paid the difference minus 20%. If you were guaranteed $20/hour, and did 4 gross minimum fares at $4 ($3.00 before commission X 4), they'd only pay you $4 in guarantees minus 20% because you "earned" $4 gross X 4 trips = $16. Now they are paying $8 in guarantees for the same scenario, minus 20%.

Must have had too many complaints about SRF's eating into the guarantee.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Uber shows you the GROSS (total) FARE that the rider pays.
No differently than if you sold something/anything to a consumer on behalf of a store or service company.

Your PAY STATEMENT shows you the NET AMOUNT you earned and get paid.

Think of it this way:
You work in stationary store and sell a set of printed-custom invitations to a customer.
  • The price of the stationary is $90
  • The store charges a $5 printing set-up fee
  • And the sales tax is $5
The total bill to the costumer comes to $100.00.
THAT is what the cash register shows - that's what the receipt shows.

But that is NOT the amount YOU get paid.
If (for the sake of example) you were paid strictly on a commission basis at the rate of 50% on the price of goods sold,
your EARNINGS would be 50% of $90 (not 50% of $100).

THAT is how your pay is calculated.
(with one difference: Uber reports the $1/ride SRF to the IRS as income to you -
and you have to claim that as an expense deduction on your tax return so you don't pay taxes on it)

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
This reminded me to count that SRF as a business expense for IRS. I'm using Quickbooks and treating this as my small business. Love it when I find a tip that really helps like that one just did. Thanks Michael.
srf fees, no tipping, underpaid, etc. thats why the strike has been called on Oct. 16th at 5 pm to Oct 18th at 10 pm.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
srf fees, no tipping, underpaid, etc. thats why the strike has been called on Oct. 16th at 5 pm to Oct 18th at 10 pm.
I know your heart is in the right place, 'but the fastest way to NOT bee taken seriously by a company you are trying to negotiate with is to make demands about something that doesn't effect you - and that you don't understand.

That's why we hire lawyers - and why lawyers are called our "mouthpiece".

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
there is no negotiating with uber. we've been complaining. it's time to take action. i'm tired of their threats of deactivation.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
do yo
I know your heart is in the right place, 'but the fastest way to NOT bee taken seriously by a company you are trying to negotiate with is to make demands about something that doesn't effect you - and that you don't understand.

That's why we hire lawyers - and why lawyers are called our "mouthpiece".
u really think they have ever taken us seriously? there was probably one point where they did...at start up. ever since then cuts.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have yet to see a guarantee that didn't include the srf. granted it has been a few months since I was given a decent guarantee that I didn't beat. Most guarantees are worthless. I always end up beating them at the last min. It's better to just drive.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
do yo
u really think they have ever taken us seriously? there was probably one point where they did...at start up. ever since then cuts.
So what?
Welcome to the world of reality and big business.
Uber doesn't need to care about drivers...
it NEEDS to care about riders, market share, market size, and market capitalization.
Drivers are a tool needed by the company short-term.
We are treated as mostly disposable, because we are.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
there is no negotiating with uber. we've been complaining. it's time to take action. i'm tired of their threats of deactivation.
Absolutely go take action.
But know what you're talking about or the people within the company who might affect changes will simply roll their eyes at you, knowing that you 'just don't get it'.

Look... the SRF is a NON-IMPACT fee.
It doesn't go into your pocket and it doesn't get taken out of your pocket.

Uber charts the SRF on paper (as part of the total fare that driver's charge riders) for just one reason:
it supports their base assertion that they are not a transportation company, but 'just a technology company'.

That's what it's all about.
Nothing more - and nothing less.

If Uber defined itself as a transportation company it would have no problem just charging the rider directly for the use of the app and the SRF... and charging drivers for the use of the app, background checks and any other fees. But to do so would prove that the company IS a transportation company and IS a direct employer of drivers.

It's stupid, but that's how the attorneys have told Uber to structure everything if Uber wants to have even a prayer of defending it's assertions.

Lawyers like Lis-Riordin are combing through everything Uber has ever said, done and put in writing - for use against Uber in court - to find even the smallest thing that points to Uber being more than just a 'technology company'.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have yet to see a guarantee that didn't include the srf. granted it has been a few months since I was given a decent guarantee that I didn't beat. Most guarantees are worthless. I always end up beating them at the last min. It's better to just drive.
Look to my above post with my pay statement, SRF isn't factored.

I now only use Uber when there is a guarantee close to home. Because 1) I know there will be no demand so my costs are low and 2) It saves me a trip into the city. Would rather make $20/hour sitting in car by beach reading than chasing fares to make $30/hour.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
I now only use Uber when there is a guarantee close to home. Because 1) I know there will be no demand so my costs are low and 2) It saves me a trip into the city. Would rather make $20/hour sitting in car by beach reading than chasing fares to make $30/hour.
Most guarantees require 2 to 3 trips/hr to qualify (at least here)...
isn't that the case in Boston?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts