Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so when I accept a ride request, I am given graphical directions on Uber's partner app to get to the rider. It's in the form of a blue line that recommends travel directions to get to my rider (and will update itself if I take a different route). When I reach the end of the blue line, the Uber app notifies the rider of my arrival. However, it appears that the blue line takes me to the address that was entered by the rider, not the location of the rider. I already know about riders dropping pins at wrong locations. What I'm having difficulty with is when the address given me and the rider's physical location are off by a bit ... like say ... on the opposite side of a building. What I tend to do is follow the blue line as long as the route is reasonable and when I get to the end of the blue line, I drive around trying to position my vehicle as close to the little black rider symbol on the app as I can. I did that tonight and it took me to a parking lot. I slowly traveled toward the black rider symbol only after I got to the end of the blue line, looked around, and saw nobody who appeared to be waiting for a car to come pick them up.

Is this how I should be operating? Go to the end of the blue line, look around, if nobody's there, go to the black rider symbol?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If you're using Android, you should see the building they were in when they requested. It's off sometimes. Usually the pax fault for not correctly placing the pin, it happens.

Arrive, wait five(if you still have cancel fees), leave

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I use Google Maps until I am very close and then I switch back to the Uber app because it shows you in detail exactly where they dropped the pin (and sometimes it's actually exactly where the pax is located). That is the best way to find them. Also...Call them lol...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know my town very well so I don't need navigation to get to the location. I'm just wondering which location is more accurate, the end of the line or that rider icon? What does that black rider icon represent? is the blue line the location that the rider dropped the pin at? Is the black rider symbol the actual location of the rider regardless of where the pin was dropped?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just use the GPS, and if I can't find the person where the GPS says they should be, I call or text them.

GPS tends to get a little off when you get close to the location- many people seem to be aware of it and don't seem upset that it took me an extra 2 minutes to arrive because the GPS had me circle their block. They are usually happy that someone else is doing the driving, because they don't want to or can't.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Contact the pax. Use the phone or text them for either a specific business name or confirm address.
Jeez, this isn't that difficult.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Contact the pax. Use the phone or text them for either a specific business name or confirm address.
Jeez, this isn't that difficult.
What he said.
Get to the pin and stop, do not try and drive looking for the rider. Contact them on the phone or text, tell them you're in front (back, side) of their building. If they tell you they're on the other side, then you can go pick them up.
You will get low ratings if the rider gets notified you're there but you're actually somewhere else circling around looking for them.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I know my town very well so I don't need navigation to get to the location. I'm just wondering which location is more accurate, the end of the line or that rider icon? What does that black rider icon represent? is the blue line the location that the rider dropped the pin at? Is the black rider symbol the actual location of the rider regardless of where the pin was dropped?
Drive to the address you are given and not the middle of the parking lot because the blue line told you so.

Reactions: Uber Kraus

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Always send same text to allmost all your pax: "Please confirm address/location/landmark, thanks!" and you will be surprised how much trouble it will save you.
based on how they respond you determine where they really are
if they fail to respond and address is a pin drop in the middle of somewhere, you can cancel with reason = wrong address given
pax will learn fast that noone picks them up by only doing what TK tells them: "Just push the button!" and don't even use any brain to describe where they are.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
My message is similar:

Hello from your [Uber] driver. Please confirm the business/building you're at. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
For the record:

Uber would be as simple as 'pressing a button' for our pax...IF...Uber did a better job explaining how the app works. It would be so simple: you can zoom in here if you need to drop pin specifically; if you're at a business you can TYPE in the name of the business, etc.

The problem is, even if Uber did send out a quick mini tutorial on how to order Ubers I bet maybe 10% would actually read/watch it. But still, 10% is better than 0%

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Except when the address is something like '4000-5500 Main Street'
I hate that sh!t. Why not just say, "Your Uber pax is somewhere. Where? Hell, we don't know. That's why we pay you $2.20 minimum fare to find them."

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
I believe it varies depending on if the pax types in the address or sets the address to current location. If typed in pin may or not be at exact location. If address set it's the exact location at time of placing order. I think.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
The blue line is just navigation. It doesn't mean you need to screech to a halt once the map runs out of blue line. Use the blue line like you would a GPS system.
Once you're out of blue line/GPS prompts, use your surroundings to give you clues as to where these people are; look for the building numbers.
Sometimes, the Uber app also has the name of the business, like for a restaurant or hotel, if that's how they performed a search for their location.

You'll learn that the pin is sometimes right and sometimes waaaaay off. Just find somewhere out of the way to park and start your 5 minute countdown. Text them at the 2 minute mark. Put it in [D]rive at 5 minutes and cancel the ride.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
The first question is do you WANT to find them. Often the cancel after 5 minutes is more profitable. I don't do anything but sit by the pin unless I think it will be a decent trip (maybe I'm out of town hoping to get back) or a surge. Then I call asap. Otherwise I hope for a cancel.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Except when the address is something like '4000-5500 Main Street'
You arrive to pin on Main St and wait or call pax for address clarification.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So many times people are drinking and don't even notice a text coming in. I would normally call. The majority of the time they don't understand that the pin can be quite inaccurate. I usually advise them to put in an exact location for future reference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the responses. So is the "pin" the little black rider icon and not the end of the blue line? If so, I'll assume that I need to get to the icon from now on rather than the end of the blue line.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts