Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started driving yesterday and was using directions from the app ... I selected uber instead of google maps. Does it have sound once you start transporting the rider? The font is also tiny I could barely see the street names I was expected to turn at. If I use the google option do I have to manually enter the destination address or will it autopopulate?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
google maps is the android default and it's good enough but it will often take you through a zig-zag when trying to get from A-B..

I'm trying to get used to waze because it tells you about cops on the road, traffic, accidents, junk in the road.. but its so cartoony I am having trouble getting used to it.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Yeah I used Waze on ONE trip and it was horrible. It was taking me on all kinds of side streets and the pax got pissed. I immediately went back to Google Maps as soon as I dropped off the crybaby.

I use an Android so I can't speak on anything Apple other than it's over priced. lol

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Started driving yesterday and was using directions from the app ... I selected uber instead of google maps. Does it have sound once you start transporting the rider? The font is also tiny I could barely see the street names I was expected to turn at. If I use the google option do I have to manually enter the destination address or will it autopopulate?
POST # 1/Tixx: "Ahoy!" and Welcome
to UP.Net Forums from
Sunny, 90's, Blue-skied Marco Island on
Florida's Wild SSW Coast.

It looks like Your Plea has been heard!
I have a Plea FOR YOU:

☆ ☆ " Protect Your LEGAL RIGHTS !
☆ ☆ NEW DRIVERS have only 30 Days
to OPT-OUT of Binding Arbitration!"

https://uberpeople.net/posts/402925

This has been a Driver Service ALERT
from these Notables:

chi1cabby ... & ...
Casuale Haberdasher.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Yea. Google maps is good enough. When google maps messes up other people usually just shrug it off.. (having the google name ya know?)

If you're using some "other" app and it messes up , OH MY GOD!!!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I use Waze for Lyft and stay in the app for Uber. Lyft customers tend to like Waze and it's weirdness. Go to "settings" and under maps, choose whichever you like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Uber Nav has a speaker icon in the upper right corner of the map screen. Tap to turn on/off. For example, I turn on when en-route to pick up the pax and turn off while pax is in the car. Once you turn either one on or off, it will stay like that until you change it. Or just use earbuds so the pax can't hear anything. The turn by turn directions can annoy a pax and result in low ratings. That's why I turn off when they are in the car. Up to you.

I've also installed and used the Goggle Nav. In my opinion, it's a little better than Uber's but not much. Once installed you will need to change navigation to Google in Uber app settings. Then when you go online, the Uber app will probably update. Once update is done you have to go online again. After a ping is accepted, if you tap Nav it will open Google and navigate. But you don't have the option on the screen to turn speaker on/off. You would have to use earbud(s) if you don't want the pax to hear. Also, when using Google to Nav the Uber app runs in the background. Several times when using Google, the Uber app has taken me offline. Once it didn't record the trip, but most of the time if I went back online after the trip it was recorded and simply said 'Complete Trip'. I think Uber app will remind you it is running in the background after about 2 minutes. If you don't open within that time it may go offline. At least it does for me. To prevent this while using Google, I have to keep switching between Google and Uber every few minutes. This is my experience. Others may not have the same.

I'm not happy with either nav for many reasons. Uber especially. Sometimes while driving I can see my car icon turning 45-180 degrees while I'm going straight. Or tells me I have 500 or 1000 feet to go when I'm past the street or pickup/drop off location. Or turn wrong way down a 1-way street or turn onto a street when there isn't one there. And my favorite, constantly telling me to go far past the pickup/drop off points and make U-turns when I could have turned left at a street or driveway. Most of the time it's when there are double yellow lines on the road. I guess it doesn't want you to cross them so it directs you keep driving until you can cross them. But even then, many times I could have turned at a traffic light that was right there. Instead, it was "In .2 miles make a U-turn, then in .2 miles turn right onto (the same street I just passed up)." WTF is up with any of these?????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your responses!

The speaker thingie on the uber app doesn't work when I am driving the passenger to their destination. So far I have been lucky and the passengers has told me when I need to turn etc.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Personally prefer Waze as road closings and traffic are common in my area. Not a huge fan of the cartoon nature of it. In Google Maps I love the satellite imagery and being shown the lanes including the ones you want to use for upcoming turns and forks. Since Google bought Waze a while back they have integrated some features of Waze into their navigation. If Google just adopts the road closures and gets closer on the traffic estimates I will gladly switch back.

Be aware, when you select to auto-navigate in Lyft or Uber, the driver app sends the latitude and longitude coordinates to whichever navigation app you choose. Most of the time this works fine, however there are addresses where the coordinates were set too far back from the street the address is on. So the navigation app will try to get you closest by bringing you to the wrong side of the building (up an alley, around back to the loading docks, etc.) So when choosing to auto-navigate to a destination, check the turn-by-turn directions and make sure the last one is on the street you want to go to. If not, manually type in the address into your navigation and you it will land you right in front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts