Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Everyone has a right to strike just as much not to strike. I've been seeing threats of violence associated with this protest towards other drivers not protesting. Please DO NOT threaten fellow drivers or their vehicles over different views. I can't agree with this protest more, but personally I feel this is a lost cause and will be driving that weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am not an advocate of violence or threatening behavior in any sense. Given that the message of this strike IMO is "less than clear", "less than ideal", and that how the message is delivered in the video is "rambling" and "less than one would have hoped for", it is nonetheless a cause that deserves attention and will get attention. I for one am not going to drive in support. I don't know how anyone can say that they agree 100% with the cause, but yet will not participate in the cause (baffling statement, really). Ultimately, this is a judgment call every driver can make on their own, knowing the risk/reward factor that goes along with crossing a picket line. Good luck wasting time and energy chasing around cancelled rides on that weekend...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am not an advocate of violence or threatening behavior in any sense. Given that the message of this strike IMO is "less than clear", "less than ideal", and that how the message is delivered in the video is "rambling" and "less than one would have hoped for", it is nonetheless a cause that deserves attention and will get attention. I for one am not going to drive in support. I don't how anyone can say that they agree 100% with the cause, but yet will not participate in the cause (baffling statement, really). Ultimately, this is a judgment call every driver can make on their own, knowing the risk/reward factor that goes along with crossing a line. Good luck wasting time and energy chasing around cancelled rides on that weekend...
Your statement alone should remove any confusion. I don't want to see violence. I don't agree with how Uber runs their dog and pony show, but here are some things to consider. The guy leading the cause is the last person that should be doing it. He doesn't represent me and if he had any concern for his fellow drivers, he wouldn't harm them physically or financially. It's one thing to ping a driver, then call them to let them know what's going on. It's another to take away from any earnings they're going to make. Just makes the protesters look like ********. You're an independent contractor, no one is forcing you to drive. Just quit if you don't like it. They dropped the rates in Hartford county, I stopped driving there. They do it state wide, I'll quit. It's better than screwing over the passengers who may get turned off by using the service. If the protest was more like what the Uber Black and SUV drivers did in Dallas, this protest would have more support. I would support it if there was no mention of harm and it had a leader with common sense. Some drivers don't have the luxury to take an entire weekend off because they have a family to feed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I hate to say it, but the same kind of disaster happened when Hartford county dropped the rates. I was one of the people there trying to talk sense into the protesters to avoid the media and just not drive Hartford county to play a numbers game with Uber's profit. No one listened to us, they made fools of themselves on tv and most of those guys were driving around Hartford county after the protest. If it happened like that, expect to see some of these protesters go online during that time to take advantage of surge prices.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Best thing you can do is quit. Let them water down the quality of drivers and cars at those low prices. If I was a passenger and saw a car roll up with duct tape on the body, I wouldn't get in the car. Uber has known about this strike for some time and I'm sure they're going to put more new drivers on the road, add guarantees, and start deactivating drivers. Get it more organized and show respect for other drivers. We're all independent contractors for Uber.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone has a right to strike just as much not to strike. I've been seeing threats of violence associated with this protest towards other drivers not protesting. Please DO NOT threaten fellow drivers or their vehicles over different views. I can't agree with this protest more, but personally I feel this is a lost cause and will be driving that weekend.
You Sir is a example of the reason why Uber is able to do whatever they want No one is advocating violence Just dont drive to send Uber a message.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You Sir is a example of the reason why Uber is able to do whatever they want No one is advocating violence Just dont drive to send Uber a message.
Do the research, I've seen protesting drivers threatening to throw rocks at working drivers. You're the problem why this protest holds no water to the real issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the research, I've seen protesting drivers threatening to throw rocks at working drivers. You're the problem why this protest holds no water to the real issue.
Your statement proves your Intelligence is lacking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not confused by your hypocrisy Crowboy. Cling to your disdain of the false idol of the movement if that is how you rationalize "driving anyway", despite being aware of the cause. I agree that the movement for a work-stoppage lacks a unified face and voice. The guy in the video is a buffoon; he doesn't represent Me, and he needn't represent anyone involved in a movement to improve wages. The facts are that UBER is taking $$$ out of drivers pocket and off of their table by cutting more and more rates nationwide in a "self serving" manner.
To cite that "Some drivers don't have the luxury to take an entire weekend off because they have a family to feed" is the ultimate reason to not drive. To drive in spite of this reason is missing the point, and giving up hope of effecting some positive change. All any driver needs to do to send a message that UBER will ultimately hear, is to not drive during October 16th-18th (not sure of the specific start time and end time...please advise if anyone knows more). No shenanigans are required. Each driver who choses not to drive adds a voice to the need for fairer wages. You know if you've ever had any correspondence with UBER directly that they don't listen to drivers, as their responses couldn't be any more condescending. UBER will only listen when their clientele complains about cars not being available in a timely fashion when they previously were. That clientele is not going to be "screwed over" in the long term, as they have many other transportation avenues available, and the clientele will gladly come back to a service they have overwhelmingly come to embrace when the work stoppage is completed.
I believe that the majority of drivers that take place in the work stoppage will simply not drive, and they will make a difference for the better of all drivers in the long term by doing so. My action (not driving) will be consistent with My belief that UBER can do better by its "partners", and this action is in the spirit of solidarity and fellowship of other UBER drivers, whether they participate in the work stoppage or not.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hypocrisy? I wasnt going to work that weekend until I came across the thug mentality of throwing rocks. You need to look at the bigger picture. I get where you're coming from. Some weekends I come home with a $4 profit. You can attack me all you want, but that's where you and this small movement fail. If I go online and see no drivers, I'll stay offline. But think of people who might be struggling and need the equity out of their car to put food on the table. For me and other drivers I have talked to, to join this cause it has to be intelligent and non violent. People who are seeking to destroy property need to be shamed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
These are the points that we would like to get from the National Strike Oct 16 to Oct 18.

*$7.00 minimum local ride,

*$1.75 per mile

*$0.45 per min.

*At least $2.25 to start the ride

*Eliminate Uber illegal Insurance called "Safe Ride" charge per ride, taken from drivers earnings.

* Add Tipping option - Tipping is not UBER's business.

*Uber commission/referral charge to be only 2% to UBER or others.

*Out of State ride to be charged as round trip.

*UberX - Maximum 3 pax per ride. Any other extra charge of 25% surcharge of the ride.

* Bags - maximum 2 bags. Any other bags or pieces a surcharge of 15% of the ride.

*Driver waiting time 5 mins. $7.00 after 5 mins.

*Cancellation fee $7.00

*Extra stops $7.00 each.

*Pet surcharge $15.00 per dog/cats/small pets. *No cows/pigs/snakes.

*Picture of pax should show on request.

Current rates are not acceptable at All. Otherwise NO drivers.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You can support the strike on Oct 16 to Oct 18 by Ordering rides and cancelling before the 5 mins grace period.

We need to call the attention all new drivers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These are the points that we would like to get from the National Strike Oct 16 to Oct 18.

*$7.00 minimum local ride,

*$1.75 per mile

*$0.45 per min.

*At least $2.25 to start the ride

*Eliminate Uber illegal Insurance called "Safe Ride" charge per ride, taken from drivers earnings.

* Add Tipping option - Tipping is not UBER's business.

*Uber commission/referral charge to be only 2% to UBER or others.

*Out of State ride to be charged as round trip.

*UberX - Maximum 3 pax per ride. Any other extra charge of 25% surcharge of the ride.

* Bags - maximum 2 bags. Any other bags or pieces a surcharge of 15% of the ride.

*Driver waiting time 5 mins. $7.00 after 5 mins.

*Cancellation fee $7.00

*Extra stops $7.00 each.

*Pet surcharge $15.00 per dog/cats/small pets. *No cows/pigs/snakes.

*Picture of pax should show on request.

Current rates are not acceptable at All. Otherwise NO drivers.
are you on crack???? then whats the difference between you and taxi or car service ???

·
Registered
952 Posts
only losers are participating in this strike. which is mostly former slimy cabbies. please go back to yellow cab or go back to your country

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The demands are too much, but I assume shoot for the moon and settle for the clouds.

The strategy of hurting Ubers that are not striking or dont know is flawed and illegal. That will only hurt the strike.

Im going to stay offline that weekend. But that is only because I can. I doubt this will yeild anything at all. But it doesnt hurt to go offline to prove a point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts