Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just received a mail from Nassau County TLC with a ticket saying "TNC Vehicle with NO Trade Dress in violation of NYS VTL 1696(5). The ticket time was 05/14 in the afternoon. I am not giving the exact time here.

As I checked the trip record. I picked up a guy at Hicksville LIRR on Monday. When I received the ping he called me in about three minutes and told me to go to Dunkin Donut to pick him up. I pulled in to the parking with the front facing the wall, not the train track. The guy came from the back. It was weird he was going to Syosset LIRR Dunkin Donut. He didn't talk on that short trip. He must be that undercover.

Problem is he never got to the front of my vehicle to see the decal nor scan my registration. How is it even legal to give me a ticket? I didn't notice if the guy took photo during the ride but I am 100% sure he NEVER got to the front of my car to take a look.

I've read the ticket is $750 and Uber is no longer paying this for drivers. Should I get an attorney to fight for it? Is Uber helping driver for this? The hotline agent is as innocent as a baby he told me the specialize team will contact me via email or I can go to their Westbury office next week to talk about it. Does Uber help us drivers for this kind of crap?

So my questions are;
1. Really $750?
2. Get an attonery?
3. Will Uber help the drivers?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've just received a mail from Nassau County TLC with a ticket saying "TNC Vehicle with NO Trade Dress in violation of NYS VTL 1696(5). The ticket time was 05/14 in the afternoon. I am not giving the exact time here.

As I checked the trip record. I picked up a guy at Hicksville LIRR on Monday. When I received the ping he called me in about three minutes and told me to go to Dunkin Donut to pick him up. I pulled in to the parking with the front facing the wall, not the train track. The guy came from the back. It was weird he was going to Syosset LIRR Dunkin Donut. He didn't talk on that short trip. He must be that undercover.

Problem is he never got to the front of my vehicle to see the decal nor scan my registration. How is it even legal to give me a ticket? I didn't notice if the guy took photo during the ride but I am 100% sure he NEVER got to the front of my car to take a look.

I've read the ticket is $750 and Uber is no longer paying this for drivers. Should I get an attorney to fight for it? Is Uber helping driver for this? The hotline agent is as innocent as a baby he told me the specialize team will contact me via email or I can go to their Westbury office next week to talk about it. Does Uber help us drivers for this kind of crap?

So my questions are;
1. Really $750?
2. Get an attonery?
At $3.66 a trip, that's over 200 trips to break even. Minus gas, it's probably closer to 300.

·
Registered
782 Posts
No a attorney don’t help ,Uber will not help, and they will probably reduce fine to $300 you will waste half of day there make sure you feed the parking meter or you will get another ticket . THIS IS A BAD DEAL you work all week for nothing

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mike7777

It's creepy that they even have my DL number on the ticket. That undercover never talked to me in anyway except "how are you?" & "fine".

I am the owner of the car. But how could they be so sure I was the one driving but not my brother or cousin. They just put my DL number on the ticket and "assume" I was the driver.

How could it even be LEGAL in this country!?!?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don’t matter who was driving they ticket the owner of the car . You can’t win same crap happen to me last year you are better off not going to the train stations they are always looking for something to give you a ticket for get caught once you have to do 100 of those trips just to pay the ticket plus your time and aggravation

·
Registered
322 Posts
Damn, Ive been using the temporary print out trade dress, lost the sticker, didnt feel like visiting the hub. Hope the cop dont ticket me, I make too little to deal with bullshit fines.

GL to you and let us know if youve been able to fight the ticket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I rec'd No Trade Dress at Mineola Station. I appeared at Nassau TLC and was told fine lowered to $100.00. I went to Uber Gren Lifgt Hub in Westbury and told Rep. Dress provided was junk and does not adhere to windshield. She took copy of summons Ticket, Settlement form of $100.00 and Rec't I paid $100.00 and said funds would be directly deposited to my account in a week. I will follow up and let you know if rec $100.00.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I rec'd No Trade Dress at Mineola Station. I appeared at Nassau TLC and was told fine lowered to $100.00. I went to Uber Gren Lifgt Hub in Westbury and told Rep. Dress provided was junk and does not adhere to windshield. She took copy of summons Ticket, Settlement form of $100.00 and Rec't I paid $100.00 and said funds would be directly deposited to my account in a week. I will follow up and let you know if rec $100.00.
I had two tickets that Uber paid. One was for trade dress. It was on my window and fell off when the TLC stopped me. It had only been used about six or eight times. You're right, it's junk. The Lyft sticker stays on much better. Uber figures that most drivers quit after about about rides anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts

So my questions are;
1. Really $750?
2. Get an attonery?
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you, I can definitely relate to how you feel as I often drive around this area and I dread those Hicksville LIRR pings. I would have expected that an undercover would flag you down and issue the ticket on the spot, not ride undercover and issue the ticket by mail. It seems like a bizarre experience.
Please excuse me for asking but I couldn't get this from your post; Did you have the sticker decal on, the printout version or none at all?
Please excuse me for asking but I did not see this on your post; Where you displaying the Sticker decal, the printout version or none at all?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you, I can definitely relate to how you feel as I often drive around this area and I dread those Hicksville LIRR pings. I would have expected that an undercover would flag you down and issue the ticket on the spot, not ride undercover and issue the ticket by mail. It seems like a bizarre experience.
Please excuse me for asking but I couldn't get this from your post; Did you have the sticker decal on, the printout version or none at all?
Please excuse me for asking but I did not see this on your post; Where you displaying the Sticker decal, the printout version or none at all?
I've been communicating with Uber for the past few weeks, their answers are quite vague. Never a solid yes or no. Since the case is still pending, I'll update once it's cleared later on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The appeal date is today so I went to Nassau County's Treasury in the morning. There were several Uber drivers with me. They all were in a similar situation. Some of them got the ticket by Nassau TLC in Long Beach or LIRR train stations all around the county. Some got the ticket from the mail, some got it as the officer caught them on the spot. One of the driver told me he got two tickets from the mail for dropping off a pax at train station. Once ticket for the trade dress, one for impeding traffic he doesn't what it means. Another driver was dropping off his wife at LIRR with the trade dress sticker off but there was a sticker mark on the windshield so TLC thought he was online without a trade dress.

Basically a TLC "worker" would call you in. He sits in an office cubicle with two interns observing at the back. He said he's not a judge, it's a meeting for "settlement". They can arrange a court date if you don't want to settle with the county. (Actually it's illegal to issue such tickets in such manner, but nobody wants to waste another working day for that crap.) He said under TNC law when I am online for Uber, Lyft and the like I have to have a trade dress on the windshield, blah blah blah. The fine for violating this law is $200. But you can come to a settlement of $100. They throw driver with this crap and most of us would pay that $100 instead of another headache so they win.

He asked "Why you didn't have your trade dress on the windshield?"
I said, "I didn't know why I got the ticket."
He said, "I am not asking you that. I asked why didn't you have the trade dress?"
I said, "Yes, I did have it."

Then he went on telling me where to put the trade dress, all the BS. $100 fine can be paid by cash, check, credit, or by mail. No American Express!!!

Got the receipt then drove to greenlight hub later in the afternoon. They girl at the counter didn't ask what I was for but just told me to show her my citation like it's all routine. Gave her my number she could see my driver's profile. Took pics of the citation and receipt then uploaded to the system. She told me they will have a result latest on Tuesday.

That's all.

The County's game plan is if the settlement charge is $200 or more for the settlement, many driver would take another half day off to the court to fight off the ticket... which as many reckon the judge would rule to the favor of the driver. As I said before, the undercover never came to the front of my car to take a look. He came from the back to get in and went to the side when he got out. Nobody ever had my ID checked, nobody talked to me about violation. How could it be even legal in this country?

Nobody would waste half day to seek justice for $100 so Nassau County always wins.

·
Registered
106 Posts
nassau county cops and the likes are very nasty, not sure what their effin problem is. highest salaries in the country, highest property taxes in the country, what else are people supposed to do for these self proclaimed gods? public servant my ass...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got one today for not havig the decal, i explained to the a***ole tlc officer that I just dropped off a pax but I turned off the app immediately and that also my decal fell off. My question is... is it true the ticket or summon is $750?? Or is it $200 as Nasau1234 says?

·
Registered
782 Posts
It is $750 but you can go and plea bargain it down to $200-$250 just a waist of time for bull shi% violation I heard starting August 1 Nassau county is declining war on Uber drivers for everything you can think of be careful

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just got one today for not havig the decal, i explained to the a***ole tlc officer that I just dropped off a pax but I turned off the app immediately and that also my decal fell off. My question is... is it true the ticket or summon is $750?? Or is it $200 as uberli8905 says?
I dont remember saying TLC tickets are $200. I never got a TLC ticket. I got 6 tickets for passing a cop on Sunrise in Massapequa though while doing Uber.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts