Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not keen on using these forums just for complaining, but this guy really took the cake.

In my four months' experience as a Lyft driver, 99.9% of the over 1500 passengers have been fine. Almost all are friendly or at least polite and respectful. Even those who are chilly or having a bad day -- that's fine with me. It's not their job to entertain me, it's my job to take them from here to there with safety and without hassle.

But last night I had the passenger who was the nadir of my experience. About 7:30 pm, three men got into the car from a bar south of Market; the destination was a Financial District skyscraper. The biggest, tallest man got into the front seat and proceeded to move his seat back in order to deliberately squeeze the guy -- his friend or co-worker -- who had climbed in behind him. They proceeded to have a loud, obscene discussion about various female acquaintances and whether or not "it's gay" to enjoy having your butthole touched even by a person of the opposite sex. When this topic of conversation ran out, the man in the front seat said that he had just freaked out a person in a car next to us by staring at them, and said he enjoyed harassing people by taking photos of them from his car. The whole ride was like this, with the tall, loud man leading the way, and the fellow behind him trying and failing to keep up with his level of obscenity and homophobia. The third man was silent.

I let out the two men in the back seat at the designated skyscraper, and the tall man asked me to take him three blocks farther to another bar. I let him out with a polite good night, drove one block, and gave the passenger who ordered the ride two stars, and typed a complaint.

Later I reflected on what I could have done in this situation. If the guy had really begun taking pictures from my car, or done anything else to harass people in other cars, I would have spoken up. But I should have told him to stop bullying his friend with the seat. I just didn't think fast enough, and the guy's volume and the force of his language scrambled my thinking a little. I didn't feel unsafe, just very uncomfortable spending any time next to this bully.

I have some compassion for him, and for the inner pain and conflict that must drive him to act like this (and to go from one bar to another at 7:30 pm on a Tuesday night when he was clearly already drunk). But I feel sorrier for his friends and victims. I hope that something brings his reign of terror to a close.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Guys that make butthole jokes are the least of your worries, now if they were aggressive. Obviously messing with the chair is a problem

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I drove the bar crowd every week. I got groups about this bad or worse usually once or twice a week. As long as their not directing it towards me they can have pretty much whatever vulgar conversation they want. Ding their rating and move on just like you did. You're not in this to be a social justice warrior. As long as their not disparaging you or rolling down the window and screaming at people and instigating crap that might result in you getting dragged into it just let it slide, IMO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
LOL are you seriously complaining about that ride WTF. If you're that much of a care bear you really shouldn't be doing ride share. DAMN, if that's your worst experience, Lyft has God moded all your pings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts