Uber Drivers Forum banner

My Time in Charlotte

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  MrMikeNC 
#1 ·
This is about a couple of months late, but...I spent most of July doing both Uber and Lyft in Charlotte. Some random thoughts:

*wtf is up with I-77?
*I really hated doing the Music Factory. Never got a chance to do the PNC arena but judging from some of the posts here that was a blessing in disguise.
*I like that Lyft is actually active in Charlotte. Not as much as Uber, but still WAAY more than it is here in Raleigh, NC
*I feel like Charlotte, perhaps because of the sheer size of it, is better to do rideshare for longer hours than in Raleigh. Even with the college kids away at the time I made pretty decent money.
*I like that Charlotte surges more times than just on the weekends when the bar closes.
*QuickTrips! *thumbsup* Pretty much Charlotte's answer to Sheetz? Love 'em.

All in all great experience. I hope to go back some time soon.

#2 ·
I just moved to Charlotte from Raleigh and the past two Saturday nights have been pretty solid. Last Saturday was a bit of an outlier because of the fight, but this past Saturday still managed $94 in less than 4 hours.

The surge is amazing, trips are farther.

As for QT, I do miss Sheetz.

#4 ·
I just moved to Charlotte from Raleigh and the past two Saturday nights have been pretty solid. Last Saturday was a bit of an outlier because of the fight, but this past Saturday still managed $94 in less than 4 hours.

The surge is amazing, trips are farther.

As for QT, I do miss Sheetz.
This Saturday was busier due to the USC/NC State. Still good Saturday overall - I made $230, 9 hours.

#5 ·
Charlotte needs higher rates. UberX drivers make 60 cents a mile and 11 cents a minute before expenses. We deserve better!!! Uber is not amazing. It sucks! They exploit drivers. Meanwhile Uber is taking in 40-50 percent or more of each ride. Why? Because they raised rates - upfront fare- it's just us sucker drivers don't get any of it. It's bull !!!

#7 ·
Had 3 riders in the last week complain about how HIGH Uber rates were. One said DRIVERS were "gouging us" and "riding a major gravy train".

Just bit my tongue and 1-starred them all.
Instead of 1 starring them, they gave you a golden opportunity to educate them and spread the word that UBER is the one getting all the money from the rate hikes, NOT the drivers.

#9 ·
I disagree. When the topic of my job comes up with pax, I have to bite my tongue and not tell them what's going on.

But if I was given an opening like that, I'd make SURE they knew that Uber was the one getting the money, not me, and I'd do it in such a way that they'd look at me as being on their side, and maybe get a nice tip as well.

#10 ·
Don't get me wrong.....I'm more than happy to educate the ignorant when I sense it's worth it. These weren't IMO.

For the record....I'm nearing 3000 total trips. I do believe most people are cool and fairly educable. Others....not so much. This week I ran into more "others" than usual.

#13 ·
I drive Thurs-Sat and under the old surge system I would clear anywhere from $300 on a bad week to $600 on a good week (the exception being the really big weeks like the PGA Tour [yay] or the CIAA [noooo]). My goal each week is a minimum of $300 and I can usually hit that with a decent Saturday. Usually about 10-20 hours a week. If I am making anything less than $11 an hr while driving I turn the app off and go home. I can usually do $300 a weekend without a surge at all. I call it "doing things the hard way".

#16 · (Edited)
Which part is crazy? That it is a $18.37 base rate trip for 22.39 miles? That someone is willing to pay $117.94 to go 22.39 miles in 35 minutes? That a driver drove 22.39 miles for an extra $3.50?

Know thy rates.

When a driver is serious about the money part. They know how much a trip pays when they learn a destination, because they know the rates of the market that they drive in. An $18.50 base rate trip with a $3.50 flat bonus is going to pay $22 before tip..... Everytime.
Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel
when the pax called me and told me where they wanted to go (it already had a 45+ banner); I told my wife it is a $100 trip. Subtract the new long pick up fee and the new higher wait time fee and I was close. I missed it by 31 cents.

I got a $10 cash tip and an 85/15 split with Uber. Uber payed me the long pick up fee and extra wait time out of their Service Fee.

#17 · (Edited)
BTW, Lyft does not pay me for long pick ups. Lyft would have paid me $68 for this same trip. So I was not online with Lyft. Know thy rates. Lyft would have charged pax $100, if anyone is interested. I find it interesting that Uber passed on 100% of the extra $30 to me by way of the long pickup fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.