Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a double post but it's incase you missed it on another thread.

All I did was ask a question, lol.

I am going into this eyes wide open and asking questions which any new person should do wether they act on the advice is another matter. I have advised others in a previous career and watched as they ignore it.

I know the frustration and anger from BC and PH drivers but I am sure all can get on together. Mind you the media do seem to be out to blast Uber at any given opportunity which in a few cases is brought on by the drivers themselves, the recent case of the £100 fare as the pax fell asleep so the **** drove him via the North and South circular instead of the £10 max journey. That is utterly unprofessional. BC also try it on as well and i have experience of that myself. Why on earth did the media have to mention that the PI/Fatal RTA at Hyde Park Corner driver was an Uber driver who was not at work? you don't mention an accountant who was off for the weekend or bus driver etc.

Uber needs to raise the bar a tad regarding driver standards and that is only my experience from the ignition session. I have to say I did cringe at the questions and lack of knowledge (Not just the route stuff) of how to read a map, English as a language to speak, read and simple instructions. I believe that should be their first point of rejection. I also feel their should be a dress code and they should have a system in place catch anyone how breaks the rules. We do with BC (The Met. Pol.) TO 25 (no idea what its called now) used to always try and find BC drivers bending the rules such as failure to take a passenger once engaging with customers and airport refusal jobs. Why don't Uber?

I have an other income and I want to do some thing with my day and also earn a little extra income. I like the idea of flexibility and self governance. I don't want to be tied down to certain shifts and working days etc, done that. I do however understand that certain times of the day are busier than others and other locations are busier. Uber also need to sort out the "alleged" scams being run at the airports and stations and deactivate those who are participating in this behaviour, allowing others a fair share of the "pie".

Just my thoughts. Awaiting the back lash now ;-)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My friend. Take it from me.

You will not earn any money (after expenses) working part time for uber.

You will need to work at least 70 hours per week (working through Thursday, Friday and Saturday night) to earn about £8/9 per hour (after expenses).

You may think I'm talking rubbish but you will give it a try and after doing the maths you will realise what I'm saying.

The outgoings eg, H/R insurance, car wash, petrol, uber fees, the odd parking ticket, car servicing/mot/rent/depretiation all adds up and ubers rates are too low with not nearly enough surge jobs these days.

Trust me mate, Many people can't earn any money with the 20% commission, you at 25% will definitely struggle.

All the best with it though.

Be lucky

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. I plan to start with Uber in the next next couple of weeks. There seems to be quite a few mixed reviews but I reckon its worth a go. I am being quoted over £3,500 for insurance, can anyone advise me if this is the going rate. Also. if there are any drivers from Watford or Hertfordshire, it would be good to chat.

·
Registered
186 Posts

You will need to work at least 70 hours per week (working through Thursday, Friday and Saturday night) to earn about £8/9 per hour (after expenses).

You may think I'm talking rubbish but you will give it a try and after doing the maths you will realise what I'm saying.

The outgoings eg, H/R insurance, car wash, petrol, uber fees, the odd parking ticket, car servicing/mot/rent/depretiation all adds up and ubers rates are too low with not nearly enough surge jobs these days.

Trust me mate, Many people can't earn any money with the 20% commission, you at 25% will definitely struggle.

Be lucky
This is the 1st time you've written something sensible....

70+ hour week has a toll on the body and in later life you shall see the fruits of that...! Working for uber is modern day slavery mate...! To get paid £8/9 p/HR you have to work really long hours...and deal with crappy cheapskates drunks....buses pay min £12 p/HR with holidays pension etc.....
Why work for a company that threatens you at every stage...low ratings you are done...make a compliant - you r done...pax complains you took too long - pay cut for no reason...!

PS: how's Jo doing these days? Say hi to everyone in the office!

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts

Be lucky
Yeeeeeeey, finaly came to senses...so no more ping, ping, ping?

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
This week a the last week in the easter holiday and most of the replies you got reflect how bad is the drivers income
These days everybody is moaning but if u come back next week you will see half of us as we will be all busy working
You can still join the club and register with an office that charge commotion not fixed rent

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
This week a the last week in the easter holiday and most of the replies you got reflect how bad is the drivers income
These days everybody is moaning but if u come back next week you will see half of us as we will be all busy working
You can still join the club and register with an office that charge commotion not fixed rent
Little Eva "Do the Locomotion with Me"

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts

Be lucky
Ping, ping, ping, ping, piiing.......

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Everyone's expectations are different. People on here saying you cant make a living are absolutely right, Uber is no longer viable as a full time job. However, if you just need something to supplement your income (like the OP) its worth trying out.

Yes there are negatives when working for Uber, but its the most flexible option with no set shifts, and no line manager with a huge ego treating you like crap.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Everyone's expectations are different. People on here saying you cant make a living are absolutely right, Uber is no longer viable as a full time job. However, if you just need something to supplement your income (like the OP) its worth trying out.

Yes there are negatives when working for Uber, but its the most flexible option with no set shifts, and no line manager with a huge ego treating you like crap.
Well said, but only problem is you still get a few pax with the huge ego treating you like crap.
But they forget you can always end the journey to deflate their big ego.:)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

It's not as easy as doing a few hours and earning some extra money to supplement your income.
The costs (as I've mentioned) are way too high.

Life would be great if we can just go out in our private cars for a few hours a day and just earn money for driving about.
But life is a ***** and we can't.

The op must know how cheap the rates are and that he would have to put in a lot of hours to earn any kind of money.

Unless he is from a third world country and doesn't mind working his arse off for very little reward.

Be lucky

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
It's not as easy as doing a few hours and earning some extra money to supplement your income.
The costs (as I've mentioned) are way too high.

Life would be great if we can just go out in our private cars for a few hours a day and just earn money for driving about.
But life is a ***** and we can't.

The op must know how cheap the rates are and that he would have to put in a lot of hours to earn any kind of money.

Unless he is from a third world country and doesn't mind working his arse off for very little reward.

Be lucky
Hey, what about ur pings only a month or so ago???
Remeber....ping, ping, ping....

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know it's a double post but it's incase you missed it on another thread.

All I did was ask a question, lol.

I am going into this eyes wide open and asking questions which any new person should do wether they act on the advice is another matter. I have advised others in a previous career and watched as they ignore it.

I know the frustration and anger from BC and PH drivers but I am sure all can get on together. Mind you the media do seem to be out to blast Uber at any given opportunity which in a few cases is brought on by the drivers themselves, the recent case of the £100 fare as the pax fell asleep so the **** drove him via the North and South circular instead of the £10 max journey. That is utterly unprofessional. BC also try it on as well and i have experience of that myself. Why on earth did the media have to mention that the PI/Fatal RTA at Hyde Park Corner driver was an Uber driver who was not at work? you don't mention an accountant who was off for the weekend or bus driver etc.

Uber needs to raise the bar a tad regarding driver standards and that is only my experience from the ignition session. I have to say I did cringe at the questions and lack of knowledge (Not just the route stuff) of how to read a map, English as a language to speak, read and simple instructions. I believe that should be their first point of rejection. I also feel their should be a dress code and they should have a system in place catch anyone how breaks the rules. We do with BC (The Met. Pol.) TO 25 (no idea what its called now) used to always try and find BC drivers bending the rules such as failure to take a passenger once engaging with customers and airport refusal jobs. Why don't Uber?

I have an other income and I want to do some thing with my day and also earn a little extra income. I like the idea of flexibility and self governance. I don't want to be tied down to certain shifts and working days etc, done that. I do however understand that certain times of the day are busier than others and other locations are busier. Uber also need to sort out the "alleged" scams being run at the airports and stations and deactivate those who are participating in this behaviour, allowing others a fair share of the "pie".

Just my thoughts. Awaiting the back lash now ;-)
I have an other income and I want to do some thing with my day and also earn a little extra income.
Well , if you want to do something and earn a little income.....

Brother , you've surely come to the right company.....

Stay Safe

CC

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Part time a driver can earn £30/£40 a day net. This is Fri -Sat, driving 10hrs each day. It requires a super human effort to gross £250 on a Saturday.
I'm not being negative, it's the London reality, expenses are high, fares are low, work is not constant and traffic is bad.
Some will say, I make £400 on those 2 days, yes so you should, but take into account all the little expenses you will see how much u keep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts