Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to take ficken ages to type, but here goes for all you new guys out there. And don't get me wrong, rideshare is fun. No boss, no alarm clock anymore. Just don't quit your main job like i did. Shit just hits the fan by false promise you will be making $35 a hour. More like $14 most days.
Ok, two years ago. I'm at the green hub.
The people i was with there that day, we where so excited and all chatting together, patting each other on the back, all shaking hands and says, lets get out there and have some fun. 2 years ago, you could make good money and it was hell fun.
I brought myself a commodore, I'm an x bushman. So to be able to drive a car for a change comparred to a ute for the last 10 years was nice.
Cost 21k on finance for 5 years. 31k with interest etc all up. Easy to afford back then, rideshare was good, we where actually getting looked after.
How that changed. Since then. I'm still paying off the car $150 a week for another 3 years to go. My fuel bill is about 300 to 400 a week.
Avarage is about 500 a week before i start making profit.
I now only have 1 night off a week. Yep i now work 6 nights a week.
Since that day joining, my X has left, i lost my lease on my house, because i couldn't aford it anymore. $280 a week.
About the same time my X left and i got evicted from my rental, my timing chains went on my car.
So ontop of the $1800 for timing chains, i was taken to court for errors for un paid rent. $2000.
So, take out a loan. $156 a week to pay for rent overdue and timing chains.
So fuel is costing me $300 to $400 a week. Car finance etc. Then cost is about $600 a week before i make any profit.
60hrs driving at night, that's at night. Think about it before you think rideshare is an awsome idea.
Two years I've been doing it, well over 5000 trips, can't get a job anymore because out of the game to long I'm told.
No references anymore because they went into retirement.
If your a newbie, get out as fast as you got into it.
On a good week doing 80hrs, yep you could get close to $1600. But the nxt week, you'll burn out an be to tired.
Avarage week is about $1200

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
This is going to take ficken ages to type, but here goes for all you new guys out there. And don't get me wrong, rideshare is fun. No boss, no alarm clock anymore. Just don't quit your main job like i did. Shit just hits the fan by false promise you will be making $35 a hour. More like $14 most days.
The people i was with there that day, we where so excited and all chatting together, patting each other on the back, all shaking hands and says, lets get out there and have some fun. 2 years ago, you could make good money and it was hell fun.
I brought myself a commodore, I'm an x bushman. So to be able to drive a car for a change comparred to a ute for the last 10 years was nice.
Cost 21k on finance for 5 years. 31k with interest etc all up. Easy to afford back then, rideshare was good, we where actually getting looked after.
How that changed. Since then. I'm still paying off the car $150 a week for another 3 years to go. My fuel bill is about 300 to 400 a week.
Since that day joining, my X has left, i lost my lease on my house, because i couldn't aford it anymore. $280 a week.
About the same time my X left and i got evicted from my rental, my timing chains went on my car.
So ontop of the $1800 for timing chains, i was taken to court for errors for un paid rent. $2000.
So fuel is costing me $300 to $400 a week. Car finance etc. Then cost is about $600 a week before i make any profit.
60hrs driving at night, that's at night. Think about it before you think rideshare is an awsome idea.
Two years I've been doing it, well over 5000 trips, can't get a job anymore because out of the game to long I'm told.
On a good week doing 80hrs, yep you could get close to $1600. But the nxt week, you'll burn out an be to tired.
Going strong into the 3rd and another 2/3 years year at least before you can put ur hat up :D:oops:

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll most likely keep this thread going somehow, just to warn others.
Let them come and get everything and once i find another farm to manage, sue for damages and false advertising

Some of the 1st Uber drivers under the 1st Uber CEO here in Perth where workers from WA parliament house.
Why?, because the mining boom was at and end and the factor of tourists where thought about.
Rideshare would have never been considered if the taxis where awesome. What was going on, is the plate owners where sitting at home having a few drinks, sipping on there coffee. Putting a cheap under the table worker in there car while they sat at home.
Then us suckers come along and think, wow, $35 a hour.
We where used to clean it up. Thats all

·
Registered
397 Posts
One of my many errors I made was that I thought Uber was going to become more popular and there would be more drivers.

But then other companies would want in, Uber would see this as a chance to unload some drivers and customers, cause the new comer some problems if flooded with sh*t drivers and customers. Offer retraining for a fee a Month or so later. New company would advertise getting more people onto ride share. New company would sort out their problems, get rid of the bad drives they were flooded with at the start. Now there should be more passengers and not as many drivers as there would be if left unchecked. And the drivers would have a couple of booking agents to use. How wrong could I be the number of cars is still going through the roof, Uber have not off loaded any.
WTF I get a warning from the OLA about breaking T&Cs thanks partner do not worry I got your back:D.

Plan D time for a DOT audit of all charter vehicles it must be on the cards log books, hours worked, breaks and days off. I wonder how many phone calls I have to make to complain about tried drivers, should be able to get rid of the drivers not obeying part 3. I think 20% but I have been wrong. Nothing to lose better get my fatigue management log book up to date, I hate paperwork.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Many drivers are in a similar hole.

What year model was your $21k/$31k comode door ?

When do you think you will reach the stage where your car loan balance exceeds the real value of the vehicle, or are you already at that stage ?

Most drivers I know do not take into account the accelerated depreciation and increased running cost of their vehicle due to the humongous kilometers they are running up.

I paid $20k cash for my new diesel vehicle 18 months ago. Doing about 50k km per year and also in my business plan I allowed $5000 per year just for depreciation. That's nearly another $100 per week invisible "loss" to be considered.

After a year I reviewed my vehicle maintenance, service, fuel and running cost. My biggest cost was depreciation, the one most drivers are unaware of, or fail to allow for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You need to have a very cheap car to run Uber.

A 4-5 years Camry or Corolla with around 60000km on clock will probably do the job.

this type of car can run up to 300k km with not much troubles.

Say if you can get a car for $12000 from dealership. take the benefit of GST first. Then every year expect to run at least 50-60k. Keep this for 4 years then sell the car for 2k or 3k. If you do 100k a year then this car will only last 2 years.

If this is the case every year your car's real expense will probably around 3000-3500 for 50000-60000km per year

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
One of my many errors I made was that I thought Uber was going to become more popular and there would be more drivers.

But then other companies would want in, Uber would see this as a chance to unload some drivers and customers, cause the new comer some problems if flooded with sh*t drivers and customers. Offer retraining for a fee a Month or so later. New company would advertise getting more people onto ride share. New company would sort out their problems, get rid of the bad drives they were flooded with at the start. Now there should be more passengers and not as many drivers as there would be if left unchecked. And the drivers would have a couple of booking agents to use. How wrong could I be the number of cars is still going through the roof, Uber have not off loaded any.
WTF I get a warning from the OLA about breaking T&Cs thanks partner do not worry I got your back:D.

Plan D time for a DOT audit of all charter vehicles it must be on the cards log books, hours worked, breaks and days off. I wonder how many phone calls I have to make to complain about tried drivers, should be able to get rid of the drivers not obeying part 3. I think 20% but I have been wrong. Nothing to lose better get my fatigue management log book up to date, I hate paperwork.
Lol dat will never do it over will never get rid of the cars

·
Registered
121 Posts
You need to have a very cheap car to run Uber.

A 4-5 years Camry or Corolla with around 60000km on clock will probably do the job.

this type of car can run up to 300k km with not much troubles.

Say if you can get a car for $12000 from dealership. take the benefit of GST first. Then every year expect to run at least 50-60k. Keep this for 4 years then sell the car for 2k or 3k. If you do 100k a year then this car will only last 2 years.

If this is the case every year your car's real expense will probably around 3000-3500 for 50000-60000km per year
Uber or taxi it's going to be shit one way or the other in the end with no cap on plates, car numbers or drivers numbers this is game over for anyone who wants to make a decent living out of it ,cheap cars ,old cars it will make little difference, it's how much you can earn an hour already prices are rock bottom so little margin to move things around ,I've been in this game for 30 years tried every trick,l can service and repair my own I can get parts at trade prices ,any away like I said no future in this game anymore

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uber or taxi it's going to be shit one way or the other in the end with no cap on plates, car numbers or drivers numbers this is game over for anyone who wants to make a decent living out of it ,cheap cars ,old cars it will make little difference, it's how much you can earn an hour already prices are rock bottom so little margin to move things around ,I've been in this game for 30 years tried every trick,l can service and repair my own I can get parts at trade prices ,any away like I said no future in this game anymore
30 years is a long time and yeah, rideshare has been one big con job.
Harder to get out of it, than get into it that's for sure.
Fasle promices, certainly no money in it. My debt has gone upwards, certainly no super saved.
Ya just live on the bones of ya ass, hoping the cars don't let you down and also, putting your car in for services should be easy affordable to.

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
you are rich buddy i mean $5 dollar coffee :eek: eating out!
You are doing better than half the people in the country already :oops:

You are ahead of ten million people in Australia. you should be rejoicing how lucky you are right now.

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
L

Lol

I have $2 coffee + freebies from 7 eleven
i make my own... i can make so that works out at about 20 cents per cup... I really like to treat myself i can go for the 5 cents per cup but that taste like absolute crap. So pay 4 times more for the "good stuff" now i can't relate to buying 5 bucks for a coffee :eek:

His living the big baller life... while the rest of us living like peasants :oops: but you know what at least i'm saving $$.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maccas coffee, pure luxury on my big money we are all enjoying making.
Our customers love us idiots working f9r free some days.
Not all days are this bad of course, just 25% of the time.
I wonder if i become homeless, i can park my car and sleep outside the Uber green hub. I know they'd look after me.
I remember once when i was a new driver, they said they do.

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
Maccas coffee, pure luxury on my big money we are all enjoying making.
Our customers love us idiots working f9r free some days.
Not all days are this bad of course, just 25% of the time.
I wonder if i become homeless, i can park my car and sleep outside the Uber green hub. I know they'd look after me.
I remember once when i was a new driver, they said they do.
save a bit of money drive up to sydney and start working. give urself a promotion you deserved it. since you been asking for a pay rise... it about time you collect it :D

don't have enough gas to sydney? well adelaide a good stop over. work there for a couple of months until you got enough to go to sydney :p once that well dry up in 2020 migrate back to perth. any full time employee in any industry goes where the work is.

People from UK, NZ even South Africa fly to Perth for FIFO job :rolleyes: there not here because they want to be their here for the $$ and all you got to do is drive 3 days to Sydney.

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
wrong state to be in. if you don't want the job let someone else have it. You can rent that car out in a heart beat for the lease you pay on it and wipe ur hands off :p

everyone in perth doing it tough in any job. you want an easy life? don't we all :D i rather park my a$$ in front of a tv and watch than park my a$$ in my car seat and drive. the only difference between the two is one i get paid for and the other i dont get paid for :)

that car that i use to drive for uber sat five years in the garage with insurance and rego doing nothing. for me uber is supplemental income and occasionally a hobby. if i was serious i be in sydney in a heartbeat.

The city of perth doesn't owe anyone anything. we all make choices to live here and we all work hard for whatever $$ that can be made. The thing is everyone in the same boat... like it or not.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
What I don't understand is why do you still do it? You stated that you had a full time job that you quit to do rideshare. Ok fine. Don't you think you should start trying to find another job ? Imagine driving your vehicle 5-20 miles a day to a REAL job? One that maybe pays benefits? What did you do before rideshare? Damn, just saying.

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
it easier to blame uber for all the bad things in life :oops:
i had a friend he didn't blame uber but he blamed his ex wife for how his life is broken :oops:

that just life. sometimes people come out stronger and sometimes when challenges occur it just breaks them and they can't pick up the pieces anymore.

can see it with the homeless people pushing the shopping trolly around... all broken people with no more drive left. they all just waiting to die. it the same with some drivers on here. just waiting to die.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.