Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving now for 3 weeks. I signed up to drive for uber because I wanted the awesome U sticker to put in my window. I haven't received it yet, any ideas when?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i emailed them , they told me because i use my own phone i get no stickers mailed out ,they told me go to local office. 5 m onths now . no sticker , in fact its better i dont have it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just got response back from support...required by law?

Joseph (Uber)

Aug 11, 10:46

Hi Bart,

Thanks for checking in about trade dress.

Partners driving in DC & Virginia are required by law to display Uber "U" sign trade dress. You should place the U sign on the passenger side rear window. Don't have a "U" sign? You can order one here t.uber.com/dcusign or stop by our partner support center to pick one up.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You can get one at local office on Connecticut ave.

·
Registered
36 Posts
just got response back from support...required by law?

Joseph (Uber)

Aug 11, 10:46

Hi Bart,

Thanks for checking in about trade dress.

Partners driving in DC & Virginia are required by law to display Uber "U" sign trade dress. You should place the U sign on the passenger side rear window. Don't have a "U" sign? You can order one here t.uber.com/dcusign or stop by our partner support center to pick one up.
Yes, you can be cited anywhere in DMV for giving Uber rides without having that sign displayed properly, Uber says, and Uber won't reimburse you for it if you get caught. If you go to the UberDC office, go early. Door opens at 10:00, try to be there before that, because you're going to be in-and-out, and the line moves slow. If there is a big line, go up to the desk and say that you just need the sign, maybe they'll expedite it. Hopefully. Oh, and you have to bring your ID or they won't let you in the building.

In the meantime, you can probably just print one out from a pdf. I googled it, and the Uber San Diego site came up with a printable Uber trade dress. NB: the directions on where to put it are different here than in San Diego. Don't put it in the windshield, as they do everywhere else. In DMV it goes on the passenger side rear-most window.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You can request at uber support and they will send you one. I didn't get one when I signed up but I requested thru support and they mailed one pretty fast. Uber recommends you out on pax rear window but I believe the law says it can be anywhere as long as it be seen 50 feet away. Maybe ubertaxi can confirm this. Personally I don't like on rear door as I don't care to have everyone know I am an uber, especially when it's crowded out. I stick in drivers window or fro t windshield when I need to. Someone here mentioned they put in on their visor and put down when picking someone up.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
I don't use their phone and simply ordered at the link

Has anyone, or does anyone know of somebody getting a ticket for no U?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't use their phone and simply ordered at the link

Has anyone, or does anyone know of somebody getting a ticket for no U?
DC cops have other things to worry about than a "U" sign on someones car.

Besides, it could just be a friend or a co-worker giving rides to people and cops dont want to waste time on pulling over uber folks.

VA cops on other hand, they have nothing to do so they have to cite someone with something to remind them that they are cops after all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Uber recommends you out on pax rear window but I believe the law says it can be anywhere as long as it be seen 50 feet away.
The Virginia DMV has been actively discouraging drivers from putting it on the windshield as it is considered an obstruction. The advice to put it on the rear window, passenger side, is very acceptable. I believe the viewability is 50', as you noted, in daylight conditions. If law enforcement is being particularly picky, heavy tinting hides the trade dress and could result in unwanted attention.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
As stated, the law doesn't specifically say where to place the U. Only Uber just says put it in the rear pass window

·
25,803 Posts
I am not sure what the law states, but WTOP's website and Uber propaganda tell you that it goes in the right, back window. This m ight be the deal that Uber worked out with Virginia back before Gubberner McAuliffe signed the Virginia TNC bill into law. I put mine in the right, back window. The Ford Fusion has a little glass behind the door, so I put mine there.

Everyone who knows me in the cab business, and those are many, know that I do UberX from time-to-time. Some have made snide remarks, but most understand my motivations.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Md dc VA as of July 1st all state the same thing, trade dress visible up to some number of feet. No location on vehicle stated

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Yes, you can be cited anywhere in DMV for giving Uber rides without having that sign displayed properly, Uber says, and Uber won't reimburse you for it if you get caught. If you go to the UberDC office, go early. Door opens at 10:00, try to be there before that, because you're going to be in-and-out, and the line moves slow. If there is a big line, go up to the desk and say that you just need the sign, maybe they'll expedite it. Hopefully. Oh, and you have to bring your ID or they won't let you in the building.

In the meantime, you can probably just print one out from a pdf. I googled it, and the Uber San Diego site came up with a printable Uber trade dress. NB: the directions on where to put it are different here than in San Diego. Don't put it in the windshield, as they do everywhere else. In DMV it goes on the passenger side rear-most window.
In Houston I just ignored the line and started going through the boxes sitting in the corner. No one stopped me. Then everyone else started doing the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do any of you guys have those sign holders? I just put tape on mine and take it off every shift. I try my best to be down low with uber.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Just use a clear plastic CD sleeve or Ziplock sandwich bag.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just print one out using the images on Google. U can have mine, i never display it...shit's embarrassing and if my friends know i Uber i might just run my car into a pole

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just print one out using the images on Google. U can have mine, i never display it...shit's embarrassing and if my friends know i Uber i might just run my car into a pole
Why is driving for uber embarrassing? I make more doing this than being a contractor for the power company like I used to.. And I always have free time to hang with my friends when I want and then work when I want.. Pretty cool job if you ask me..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts