·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok trying to make this short hence the fragmented sentences

picked him up from car place
Sat in front (doesn't bother me)
Instantly "hey guess what, I'm a driver too!" In a very obnoxious loud voice
So we exchange pleasantries. He's going 2 miles. Tells me he got his ride free. Then proceeds to tell me how great uber is, he's making great money, blah blah. So I asked how he's making such great money on x only. He drives 9-10 hours a day. He's very proud and loud ugh
So I said it took me 6 months to start making money but even now it's not "great"
He shows me his earnings from last week and very proudly shoved his phone in my face. It wasn't but $100 more than I made but he had 20 hours more online than I did.

I guess it just shows that "great money" means something different to each person.

Also, during random uber driver chat, I told him i don't pick up more than 9 minutes away. He was shocked and asked why. I told him why. Come to find out he thought he was paid for his time picking up his pax too. He's been driving for 7 months. He started trying to uber mansplain me and give me advice (hahaha) I went along with it knowing in my mind I knew way more than he did about this gig. Poor guy.

Finally... no tip.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On an average week, what do you average per hour? How many hours worked is that? Just curious.
I don't measure "per hour" because that's too vague. I can sit in a spot for 20 minutes and not get a ping. I'm not working, just sitting idle. Working is when my wheels are moving (just my opinion).

Depends on the week. This past week 30 hours online $735 gross plus $55 in tips. Week before wasn't great 35 hours online $714 and tips (forgot to track them) maybe $50. I didn't mention the tips to him. I already felt bad for him.

Had a "driver" over the weekend. He picked my brain a little, asked about destination filter, commented on my tip sign, and guess what? NO TIP!!!!!. If I could have given him ZERO stars, I would have.
This guy didn't see my tip sign because he sat up front. Need to find a tactful way to post one in he front too.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Ok trying to make this short hence the fragmented sentences

picked him up from car place
Sat in front (doesn't bother me)
Instantly "hey guess what, I'm a driver too!" In a very obnoxious loud voice
So we exchange pleasantries. He's going 2 miles. Tells me he got his ride free. Then proceeds to tell me how great uber is, he's making great money, blah blah. So I asked how he's making such great money on x only. He drives 9-10 hours a day. He's very proud and loud ugh
So I said it took me 6 months to start making money but even now it's not "great"
He shows me his earnings from last week and very proudly shoved his phone in my face. It wasn't but $100 more than I made but he had 20 hours more online than I did.

I guess it just shows that "great money" means something different to each person.

Also, during random uber driver chat, I told him i don't pick up more than 9 minutes away. He was shocked and asked why. I told him why. Come to find out he thought he was paid for his time picking up his pax too. He's been driving for 7 months. He started trying to uber mansplain me and give me advice (hahaha) I went along with it knowing in my mind I knew way more than he did about this gig. Poor guy.

Finally... no tip.
OMG this just made me laugh SO hard!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG this just made me laugh SO hard!!
I kind of felt bad for him but whenever I tried to give him advice and talk about what I do, he had to interrupt and tell me how he does things. Fine... I dealt with that at work with male coworkers and watched them burn too. God forbid the man take advice from the blonde chic

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't measure "per hour" because that's too vague. I can sit in a spot for 20 minutes and not get a ping. I'm not working, just sitting idle. Working is when my wheels are moving (just my opinion).

Depends on the week. This past week 30 hours online $735 gross plus $55 in tips. Week before wasn't great 35 hours online $714 and tips (forgot to track them) maybe $50. I didn't mention the tips to him. I already felt bad for him.

This guy didn't see my tip sign because he sat up front. Need to find a tactful way to post one in he front too.
If you are UberX, and you are getting the rates I get, then earning $735 for 30 hours online places some limits on your average surge rate and average speed. If you get no surge, you are essentially driving 60 MPH all the time and on fare 80% of your time online. That is impossible for me. If you drop your speed to 40 MPH and 60% of time on fare, then your average surge rate is 1.6 ( on all fares). Being on fare 60% of the time is impossible for me. And, as I have said, I can go 30 minutes in a giant red dot and never get a ping, which means I have no idea how you get 60% on surge out of that. Every fare a surge of at least 1.6, no stop lights, on freeway all the time. You are amazing! You must be getting huge surge rates and getting them essentially on every ride (on average). So, the key for newbies like me, is how do you get huge surge rates on essentially all rides in 30 hours? It seems those hours would have to be amazingly tailored to constantly changing conditions, and almost certain could not be anything predictable for me. Where do you find time to wait for these people to get in the car and to drive to the next pickup?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you are UberX, and you are getting the rates I get, then earning $735 for 30 hours online places some limits on your average surge rate and average speed. If you get no surge, you are essentially driving 60 MPH all the time and on fare 80% of your time online. That is impossible for me. If you drop your speed to 40 MPH and 60% of time on fare, then your average surge rate is 1.6 ( on all fares). Being on fare 60% of the time is impossible for me. And, as I have said, I can go 30 minutes in a giant red dot and never get a ping, which means I have no idea how you get 60% on surge out of that. Every fare a surge of at least 1.6, no stop lights, on freeway all the time. You are amazing! You must be getting huge surge rates and getting them essentially on every ride (on average). So, the key for newbies like me, is how do you get huge surge rates on essentially all rides in 30 hours? It seems those hours would have to be amazingly tailored to constantly changing conditions, and almost certain could not be anything predictable for me. Where do you find time to wait for these people to get in the car and to drive to the next pickup?
Dude no offense but what he hell did you just say? So much mathing. here's a screenshot (I know that's the next request). I got some really nice surge runs from the parade (4.6, 3.7, etc) with a few nice long rides and a few lucky boosts this last week. And I'm learning this game :) just a lucky week basically. And .89 in wait time bam! Haha and this still wasn't enough. I'm used to making nearly twice this in a week from my last job.

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, 64 rides were from St Paddy's for that contest. Exhausted? Yes. Lol.... but surprisingly during the 20 hours I was completely fine.

These are the stats from the last competition I won during the OU/TX weekend.
Nose Smile Head Eye Eyebrow

I took 2 rides last week. I didn't tell either I was a drIver and didn't annoy them with questions about uber.

I DID tip both and both were very appreciate.

Both were good drivers and personable.
Any females? Named Carrie? :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.