Uber Drivers Forum banner
601 - 620 of 670 Posts

· Premium Member
846 Posts
I see recommended replacement intervals as low as 50k miles and as high as 100k miles. It honestly depends heavily on where and how one drives. But even granny driving in the best of conditions will max out by 150k miles. Obviously it's an extremely gradual degradation so most people don't notice or feel it. It's not like they simply break one day and cause a breakdown.

Agreed!

My mother thinks her Corolla rides just fine as it did when she bout it new...

I think its terrible and needs new shockcks but she "likes it as is" lol

· Registered
4,117 Posts
Four. Two struts front and two shocks rear.
Aftermarket parts only price. Labor will easily be same cost added. I'd never do this job for less and I'm an amateur.

· Premium Member
846 Posts
Aftermarket parts only price. Labor will easily be same cost added. I'd never do this job for less and I'm an amateur.

I've done struts for like free for friends / fam.... just parts... Ive done both cartridge and quick strut........ quick strut is by far easier / worth the price as most of the cartridge only units Ive done end up costing more because other parts like the mounts etc.. are found to be worn out as well once you're "in there", and ordering the parts ala carte gets pricey. .

Air tools make quick work of these jobs... usually....Fronts are fast at maybe 20 min for most toyota quick struts but its all a pain in my butt cause im lazy......and I of course make more delivering someones tacos since i have't charged for these lucrative auto services.......

I need to start charging!!

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
I've done struts for like free for friends / fam.... just parts... Ive done both cartridge and quick strut........ quick strut is by far easier / worth the price as most of the cartridge only units Ive done end up costing more because other parts like the mounts etc.. are found to be worn out as well once you're "in there", and ordering the parts ala carte gets pricey. .

Air tools make quick work of these jobs... usually....Fronts are fast at maybe 20 min for most toyota quick struts but its all a pain in my butt cause im lazy......and I of course make more delivering someones tacos since i have't charged for these lucrative auto services.......

I need to start charging!!
Most drivers would be happy to pay a fair price.
You should do side work for say 40 dollars an hour.

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
Thank you
At abandoned Sears building 🏢🏫 at 5:52
30 degrees dry and no wind.
Took the Prius to Goodyear for oil change and total suspension inspection.
I signed up and was approved for Goodyear credit card which does have the 6 months no interest option.
Be safe out there

· Premium Member
846 Posts
Most drivers would be happy to pay a fair price.
You should do side work for say 40 dollars an hour.
youd be surprised.

Despite the fact mecahnics charge a good $125 per hour here......Around here people want free or nothing or will pay full price......... or are reluctant to pay. The only one who wants to pay is my mom... im not gonan charge her hahahaha

My co-worker wanted me to fix her ac.. i did it for parts only... she balked at a $30 part

"can;t you do it WITHOUT the new part??"
"I can't perform miracles"

. she complained the whole time...... that was 2 hours of time in the hot sun and i had to travel / bring all my stuff with me......i will refuse to do anything for her anymore.... youd think theyd put the car in the covered garage at least...

I thought $30 for a part for cold air was reasonable with free labor... Ok maybe it was a bit more but I recall also doing a r-12 to r-134a retrofit on the car. But I had extra retrofit parts so it probably didnt cost more than $40

Another guy up the road literally came to my house and said he saw me fixing cars and asked if i could look at his ac in his land rover..

Looked it over, determined the issue and came to a pretty reasonable "$20"......literally... $20.... one hour of my time..I figure I make $20 delivering tacos in an hour so......

thats a deal since a shop would probably charge $100 plus just to look at it never heard back. never heard from him again lol

Some other guy a long time ago asked me to paint his hood.... im no body person but i do paint vand he saw me paint at the time........ with my limited experience at the time and also cause i didn;t have any of the supplies on hand I estimated $100 for a base coat / clear coat supplies and $30 labor ...

he said the single stage Maaco was cheaper and he decided to live with the less than tasteful words some kid carved into his hood with a key lol

rant over haha

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
youd be surprised.

Despite the fact mecahnics charge a good $125 per hour here......Around here people want free or nothing or will pay full price......... or are reluctant to pay. The only one who wants to pay is my mom... im not gonan charge her hahahaha

My co-worker wanted me to fix her ac.. i did it for parts only... she balked at a $30 part

"can;t you do it WITHOUT the new part??"
"I can't perform miracles"

. she complained the whole time...... that was 2 hours of time in the hot sun and i had to travel / bring all my stuff with me......i will refuse to do anything for her anymore.... youd think theyd put the car in the covered garage at least...

I thought $30 for a part for cold air was reasonable with free labor... Ok maybe it was a bit more but I recall also doing a r-12 to r-134a retrofit on the car. But I had extra retrofit parts so it probably didnt cost more than $40

Another guy up the road literally came to my house and said he saw me fixing cars and asked if i could look at his ac in his land rover..

Looked it over, determined the issue and came to a pretty reasonable "$20"......literally... $20.... one hour of my time..I figure I make $20 delivering tacos in an hour so......

thats a deal since a shop would probably charge $100 plus just to look at it never heard back. never heard from him again lol

Some other guy a long time ago asked me to paint his hood.... im no body person but i do paint vand he saw me paint at the time........ with my limited experience at the time and also cause i didn;t have any of the supplies on hand I estimated $100 for a base coat / clear coat supplies and $30 labor ...

he said the single stage Maaco was cheaper and he decided to live with the less than tasteful words some kid carved into his hood with a key lol

rant over haha
Come to Connecticut and I would gladly pay you a fair going rate.
40 an hour seems fair because I know dealerships have overhead.
There is an old saying you can't make money with family and friends.
That's nice you don't charge your mom
what was the inspection result?
Needs new shocks and struts but I knew that going in.
Also new 12volt battery which did not surprise me as I'm only working on my second 12v battery.
I told them to check axles, cv joints , cv boots and uv joints all ok.

· Premium Member
846 Posts
Come to Connecticut and I would gladly pay you a fair going rate.
40 an hour seems fair because I know dealerships have overhead.
There is an old saying you can't make money with family and friends.
That's nice you don't charge your mom

Needs new shocks and struts but I knew that going in.
Also new 12volt battery which did not surprise me as I'm only working on my second 12v battery.
I told them to check axles, cv joints , cv boots and uv joints all ok.

If im ever in the area!!

Thats not bad... nearly 500K and you had to ask them to check. im guessing they're not that bad / leaking otherwise you would have felt something, or someone would have noticed the leaking during another service

its really bad when you hit a pothole and you can feel / hear the wheel "dribble" like a basketball.

Another good way to see how bad they are is to ask someone to drive the car and see if the tire bounces a lot when it hits a bump / pothole

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Wise call. Shocked they're all okay if they're all original.

Did they examine all wheel hubs? The fronts take a beating. Getting 300k+ miles on the front is epic.
My dealership replaced a broken lug last time I was in.
I'm sure they checked all four hubs as well.
Goodyear took off the wheels and examined the hubs when they examined the axles and cv joints and boots.

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
If im ever in the area!!

Thats not bad... nearly 500K and you had to ask them to check. im guessing they're not that bad / leaking otherwise you would have felt something, or someone would have noticed the leaking during another service

its really bad when you hit a pothole and you can feel / hear the wheel "dribble" like a basketball.

Another good way to see how bad they are is to ask someone to drive the car and see if the tire bounces a lot when it hits a bump / pothole
Yea I am going to replace struts and shocks Monday as well as the 12 V battery.
Pretty sure 2017 Prius has struts in front and shocks in back.

· Premium Member
846 Posts
Yea I am going to replace struts and shocks Monday as well as the 12 V battery.
Pretty sure 2017 Prius has struts in front and shocks in back.

yeah, toyotas been going to front strut / rear shock lately for all their cars,,,,.. im kinda shokled they moved away from the 4 wheel strut thing. struts normally provide better handling vs a shock and separate coil spring assembly.

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
yeah, toyotas been going to front strut / rear shock lately for all their cars,,,,.. im kinda shokled they moved away from the 4 wheel strut thing. struts normally provide better handling vs a shock and separate coil spring assembly.
I agree that struts are much better then shocks for the reasons you mentioned.
I am not an engineer so I can't explain why Toyota replaced rear struts with shocks.

· Premium Member
846 Posts
I agree that struts are much better then shocks for the reasons you mentioned.
I am not an engineer so I can't explain why Toyota replaced rear struts with shocks.

my guess is... cost lol

The last I saw, the design is an interesting cup design vs the old coil on axle / arm that holds the spring, and the shock is on the outside of the "cup". I saw rainman ray fixing a collision damaged 18 camry.

I think this basic architecture is on a lot more of their cars now...so they can do more parts sharing among internal models.....if im not mistakn I heard that theyre planning to make a bunch of "unrelated" cars on the same basic or modified platforms.... like the prius / camry??? Two totally different platforms in the past but now they are more similar than before...

So that probably cuts production costs a lot. That plus I think the mounting of the parts inside the car is much shorter than a strut so they can make more room interior wise with a smaller strut / mounting tower / point (all speculation).

this thread has some intense automotive theories and technological discussion!

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
my guess is... cost lol

The last I saw, the design is an interesting cup design vs the old coil on axle / arm that holds the spring, and the shock is on the outside of the "cup". I saw rainman ray fixing a collision damaged 18 camry.

I think this basic architecture is on a lot more of their cars now...so they can do more parts sharing among internal models.....if im not mistakn I heard that theyre planning to make a bunch of "unrelated" cars on the same basic or modified platforms.... like the prius / camry??? Two totally different platforms in the past but now they are more similar than before...

So that probably cuts production costs a lot. That plus I think the mounting of the parts inside the car is much shorter than a strut so they can make more room interior wise with a smaller strut / mounting tower / point (all speculation).

this thread has some intense automotive theories and technological discussion!
Yes I love the variety of theories and technological discussions this post has provided.
Including yours !!!

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
My Prius has 457,085 as of today.
I am due for my oil change in one thousand miles.
I will use Valvoline IOC for this one rather than the dealership.
If anyone else has a high mileage vehicle I'd love to hear from you and any tips you have to make 500 thousand.
Just jumping in here midday to announce that Uber has released tax information for 2022.

· Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
At abandoned Sears building 🏫 at 7:18 am.
39 degrees dry with no wind.
Business is average with college kids still on break.
Be safe out there
At abandoned Sears building 🏢🏫 5:45 am.
Friday the 13th.
55 degrees ( not a typo ) raining no wind.
Just vacuumed my car.
Hoping to have a profitable weekend.
NFL playoff games Saturday, Sunday and Monday night.
Giants play Sunday at 4:40 pm.
Be safe out there everyone.

601 - 620 of 670 Posts