Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I had my first trip yesterday. The result--disappointing.... I was shocked to see how low I got paid. But after I look around and read other people's comments, I know it was not a mistake. I drove 16 minutes to pick up a passenger in Conshohocken at afternoon 4pm, he needs a ride to Philly airport. As you can imagine, it's a lot of traffic during that hour. So It took me about 2.5 hours for the entire trip go and back. I did not try to do another pick up at airport, I read it in somewhere said it's not allowed... my earning is $30.86, deduct the toll and gas, my earning is $7.7 an hour. That is just not worth my time. I thought after 4pm should be a better price, I thought airport trip should be a better price, but anyway, What do I know? Any suggestion?? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can't pick up at the airport but you can go into the neighborhoods nearby and try to get a ping. I usually go to West Philly after an airport run and luck out there.

Yes the pay can be pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello all, I had my first trip yesterday. The result--disappointing.... I was shocked to see how low I got paid. But after I look around and read other people's comments, I know it was not a mistake. I drove 16 minutes to pick up a passenger in Conshohocken at afternoon 4pm, he needs a ride to Philly airport. As you can imagine, it's a lot of traffic during that hour. So It took me about 2.5 hours for the entire trip go and back. I did not try to do another pick up at airport, I read it in somewhere said it's not allowed... my earning is $30.86, deduct the toll and gas, my earning is $7.7 an hour. That is just not worth my time. I thought after 4pm should be a better price, I thought airport trip should be a better price, but anyway, What do I know? Any
suggestion?? Thanks everyone.
Your only paided for the mileage & minutes that your have the rider in the car. Your on your own time and expense for the return trip. They pay less than $1 for mileage and around .15 per minute. After you deduct your vehicle expenses your making around minimum wage. Uber is a total scam unless you don't mind working for peanuts and trashing your car as well!

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's you're not your.

Make sure to track all of the mileage since that is completely deductible.
Oh really! It's a typo. Although I'm on an Uber site I know the difference between your & you're BTW why are you wasting your time driving for Uber for minimum wage? Wouldn't "you" be putting your talent to better use being an English teacher or something correcting spelling errors? BTW English major. Yes the mileage is deductible at the IRS rate of 57.5 per mile. So let's see that's a net profit around ,3o a mile BEFORE Uber takes it's % 20 cut off the top. Looks like correcting spelling errors is a stronger suit than math is for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typo is not a big deal, Thanks Cathi for your suggestions. I am sure there is a lot of tricks to learn as a newbie.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Coco-Uber, you can make this work for you. U are new so stick for few weeks, try few rides. If it work for you great, if not you would be able to find something else. In general everybody agrees that the UberX is not a good career without any benefit and insurance. It might be ok for part time gig , but not full time. Everybody has different reason to be an Uber partner. Mine is flexibility. I drive about 10-15/wk usually on Fri/Sat nights to make extra money for my family. Rest of the week, I spend time with my family and kids. I do not even open Uber app during the week.
Once you have completed all requirement/paperwork, I advise U should try few days yourself then. Good luck out there. Stay away from Cops and Taxi. Don't be disappointed by few bad fare or people.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Absolutely do it part time and don't judge it off one day, when you first start you are still learning what to do and what not to do. Driving in Philly can be a bit challenging with construction and just real bad roads, pick an area you would enjoy being in and see how it works out for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hello all, I had my first trip yesterday. The result--disappointing.... I was shocked to see how low I got paid. But after I look around and read other people's comments, I know it was not a mistake. I drove 16 minutes to pick up a passenger in Conshohocken at afternoon 4pm, he needs a ride to Philly airport. As you can imagine, it's a lot of traffic during that hour. So It took me about 2.5 hours for the entire trip go and back. I did not try to do another pick up at airport, I read it in somewhere said it's not allowed... my earning is $30.86, deduct the toll and gas, my earning is $7.7 an hour. That is just not worth my time. I thought after 4pm should be a better price, I thought airport trip should be a better price, but anyway, What do I know? Any suggestion?? Thanks everyone.
It only gets worse. Don't accept pings from that far away. Also, you can add the toll to the fare by using the "need help" button

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Yes, It's good to set the right expectation. I am going to try for Friday night. Not exactly sure about the safety by driving at night as a young female. So I will do a little test drive tonight to see what's out there.....to be continue........

·
Registered
388 Posts
It takes time coco. Don't be disappointed. Find a area stick with it. Listen to tips from drivers on this site. Some people have very good info. The key is the surge. That's how you will make it. Three trips or thirteen. That's how you make it. As the day you had, I'd personally would never drive rush hours. That's just asking for a headache. Use your app and the partner app and compare.. See who's around you

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Oh really! It's a typo. Although I'm on an Uber site I know the difference between your & you're BTW why are you wasting your time driving for Uber for minimum wage? Wouldn't "you" be putting your talent to better use being an English teacher or something correcting spelling errors? BTW English major. Yes the mileage is deductible at the IRS rate of 57.5 per mile. So let's see that's a net profit around ,3o a mile BEFORE Uber takes it's % 20 cut off the top. Looks like correcting spelling errors is a stronger suit than math is for you.
You mean "Uber takes its" don't you?
BTW biology major.

G

·
DONT GIVE UP! It works if you work it. I make it a point to look at the weekly reports to give me an idea (not a hard fact) of when the busiest times so I can make a plan. I also pay attention to the texts they send me about events. So far they have paid off great. As far as accepting rides, there are times that you have to take the good with the bad. But I will not accept a ride that I think is too far (usually more than 10-15 min away (unless I know the location). Pick and choose wisely. But I always treat every rider with the same hospitality whether they are going 5 minutes or 15 miles. That's how I keep a high rating and make good money.

I knew exactly what I was getting into when I signed up. I watched, read and digested all of their training material and looked at forums etc. before I started. I agree. You can't base your opinion on such a short time span. Unlike others ( not in this forum) who may think that the company is against them just to make a profit; I don't think that Uber really wants a high attrition rate of drivers. It does not benefit them. I think that the less quality drivers will weed themselves out. Those who stay and "see the forest through the trees" will potentially see changes which benefit them. Remember, rideshare is in its infancy and and is still a work in progress. Technolgy is constantly changing and improving. If Uber is going to succeed; they will make changes to keep their workforce happy. No company makes perfect decisions in any industry. They constantly learn and evolve. But it's not an overnight process.

Ps- how is my grammar and spelling?

·
Registered
602 Posts
DONT GIVE UP! It works if you work it. I make it a point to look at the weekly reports to give me an idea (not a hard fact) of when the busiest times so I can make a plan. I also pay attention to the texts they send me about events. So far they have paid off great. As far as accepting rides, there are times that you have to take the good with the bad. But I will not accept a ride that I think is too far (usually more than 10-15 min away (unless I know the location). Pick and choose wisely. But I always treat every rider with the same hospitality whether they are going 5 minutes or 15 miles. That's how I keep a high rating and make good money.

I knew exactly what I was getting into when I signed up. I watched, read and digested all of their training material and looked at forums etc. before I started. I agree. You can't base your opinion on such a short time span. Unlike others ( not in this forum) who may think that the company is against them just to make a profit; I don't think that Uber really wants a high attrition rate of drivers. It does not benefit them. I think that the less quality drivers will weed themselves out. Those who stay and "see the forest through the trees" will potentially see changes which benefit them. Remember, rideshare is in its infancy and and is still a work in progress. Technolgy is constantly changing and improving. If Uber is going to succeed; they will make changes to keep their workforce happy. No company makes perfect decisions in any industry. They constantly learn and evolve. But it's not an overnight process.

Ps- how is my grammar and spelling?
If you are curious about your grammar and spelling in this post be patient Fuzzyelvis posts to this thread and her major talent and contribution to this site is CORRECTING grammar and spelling errors. She is a biology major, but seems to have acquired an out if major skill, just don't ask her anything involving math skills. It's obvious she is lacking in that area. After all she is still drunk on the Uber Coolaid.

G

·
If you are curious about your grammar and spelling in this post be patient Fuzzyelvis posts to this thread and her major talent and contribution to this site is CORRECTING grammar and spelling errors. She is a biology major, but seems to have acquired an out if major skill, just don't ask her anything involving math skills. It's obvious she is lacking in that area. After all she is still drunk on the Uber Coolaid.
I'm not sure I understand the "drank the Uber Kool-Aid" reference. Do you mean that she thinks that Uber can do no wrong or that she likes what she does? Then you probably think (with all due respect) that I drank it too? But the only thing I'm trying to do is give it a fair shot using the resources available to me and my own intuition. I am sure you do the same. And I despise Kool-Aid! I especially wouldn't like it if that stupid pitcher came crashing through my wall! Who's going to pay for all the damage? Certainly not my rideshare insurance! Maybe I drink a Diet Coke but definitely not Kool-Aid

Ps-Grammar or math were never my strong points in high school. So who am I to criticize either?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the "drank the Uber Kool-Aid" reference. Do you mean that she thinks that Uber can do no wrong or that she likes what she does? Then you probably think (with all due respect) that I drank it too? But the only thing I'm trying to do is give it a fair shot using the resources available to me and my own intuition. I am sure you do the same. And I despise Kool-Aid! I especially wouldn't like it if that stupid pitcher came crashing through my wall! Who's going to pay for all the damage? Certainly not my rideshare insurance! Maybe I drink a Diet Coke but definitely not Kool-Aid

Ps-Grammar or math were never my strong points in high school. So who am I to criticize either?
lol Uber Coolaid is a reference to all the crap Uber pours down your throat when you are considering driving and as a newbie once they get you swallow. I can't fault anybody giving something a shot that APPEARS to be a good deal. Uber is very good at sugar coating thier
scam, but come up way short in helping thier drivers to actually make enough money to justify allthe many risks you will face as a driver. They have a strong track record of reducing fares resulting in the drivers making less per ride, increasing thier commission cut off the top and showing total indifference to the drivers When it comes to thier absurd rating system and customer problems. Go to the "quit" forum on this site and read for yourself. Don't take my word for it if you already haven't done it and sit down and do the Uber math. I'm talking about all your vehicle expenses and not just your gross pay for week minus Uber's commission cut and gas. Things like insurance,tires,brakes, oil changes AND the wear & tear on your vehicle that you will have to pay for a replacement every couple of years. Hope that explains the Uber Coolaid and gives you something to think about if you already have

G

·
Yes. I definitely have thought about it and consider all of the pros and cons for me as well as my car. As far as what they present to new drivers as well as current drivers, I find them no different from any other company who wants to motivate people to join and maintain morale after. I've worked for several major corporations including Apple. If you think that Uber is good at it; Apple is the master. Promises promises promises and no delivery. I sold close to $1 million a year in hardware and services with no commission. They fed you cheerleading and morale stuff like Jim Jones. BUT I knew what I was getting into when I joined. Just like we did when we going to uber. No different Just the flavor of the Kool-Aid

·
Registered
388 Posts
Everyone's situation is different which makes it better for some and not others. In my case fit instance, in a wrench 9-5 Mon-Fri so for Mr, vehicle maintenance isn't a problem. Keeps my cost down. Frankly from a mechanic stand point, your vehicle is a machine, the worse thing you can do to a machine us leave it idle to long. Just because you are driving a lot dosnt mean you have to do it NASCAR style. Drive like a normal person. Easy on the GaS and brakes, after all, you have a passenger who is trusting you with there life in the back. Your rating will suffer if not. Drive like you need this car on Monday morning to get to work. Simple as that. Oil changes are cheap and basic car maintenance anyway, and find a good mechanic if you aren't inclined to cars. Safe insurance..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts