Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't intend to go downtown last night, but sure enough, that's where my first PAX from Skokie wanted to go. Go there at about 8pm, right when the rain began.

I've been around for some surges before, like 1.3 or 1.5%. But nothing like downtown last night. I made $70 between 8-10pm. The best was a group of five women, who wanted to go from the Chicago Yacht Club up to Lakeview. At a 2.9 surge, and the XL rate, I made $38 for a 16-minute, 6-mile trip.

I can see why those of you long-time Uber drivers long for the days before the market was flooded with new drivers, when surges were more common and higher.

For the first time in my life in Chicago, I have my fingers crossed for a bad winter.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The most fun I ever had delivering pizza was during a the snows of December 2000. 4x4 truck, $1.10 gas, 15% commission. Even college students tipped $5. Made $200 in 3 hours.
Not going to happen today. Drivers hourly wage (15 years ago) was above current state minimum wage (no tip credit), nobody comes close to paying that commission, gas prices make 4x4 vehicles money losers 345 days a year. Make extra sure you have proper insurance in the snow. Going 15 under the limit in a snowstorm I once waved to a cop as slid through a red light. That happens while picking up an Uber pax and somebody pulls out you are F'd without proper insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
These past two rainy nights were great.

Monday: 2 trips, net $85. Big trip was Loop to Ohare on a 4.7 surge. Also had a short trip on a 3.8

Tuesday: 2 trips, net $52. Two surged trips at 3x/normal, one to Wicker Park, the other to Hyde Park. Both from the Loop.

Imagine if it rained at just the right times every day for a week.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
We all have good days and bad days. Mine involved expensive potholes. I think someone is drinking more coolaid than soda today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts