Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my first time experience as a rideshare driver in Boston! I live about 20 minutes north of Boston and went in for my first time last night with Lyft. I hope this helps some of you looking to start here but not knowing what to expect.. because I sure didn't! I broke down my trips to give you an idea of how it went below.

I was pretty nervous but saw the primetime/surge bouncing between 200-350% so I had to get out as it was a Friday night.

Summary / TL;DR:

I was driving for about 1h 37m of drive time, and took about an hour to myself towards the end of the night for a Cumberland Farms bathroom and phone call break. In the end I made $111.73 (including $8 in tips), or $81.55/hr on average for my 1h 37m of drive time. This was TAKE HOME pay, after Lyft took their fees. Talk about a pretty nice first night!

Trip 1:

I got to Boston Common and parked on Charles St. between the Public Garden and the Common.. great staging area btw if you're waiting for calls.. plenty of open spots to sit and park even on a Friday night. I went into driver mode and surprisingly within literally 2 seconds had my first ping! The pax were just around the block-- a group of 3 girls going to a party in Cambridge. It was a pretty funny ride, just the group of 3 of them talking in the back about hookups, college life, etc.

Trip 2:

Immediately as I dropped the group of girls off I got a notice that another pax was waiting in the queue, a solo guy just going a few blocks back to his apartment. I got lucky since I wanted to get back into Boston for the surge rates and he happened to be going in that direction. Before I began for the night I picked up a case of 24 bottles of water at 7-11 for $3.99 so I could keep a few in the back seat at all times. He took two of them, thanked me, and tipped $3! The water already almost paid for itself :)

Trip 3:

Flustered, and not yet knowing that I could proactively disable Driver Mode after a current ride so I could just get myself back into the heart of Boston without interruption, yet ANOTHER rider entered my queue. It was another group of girls going to a restaurant in Chinatown in downtown Boston-- score! Just what I was looking for, a paid ride bringing me back into the heart of the surge area where I was going anyway.

Trip 4 (The only frustrating part of the night):

As I dropped the second group of girls off in Chinatown, I got my very first "Line" call. The primetime/surge was at 300% at this time in my area as clubs were getting out so I was hoping for gold. The call was from two pax leaving a club going to Dorchester. One of the pax was borderline black-out drunk and couldn't walk. His friend was holding him up stumbling to the car. They got in, we pulled away and hit a red light. Immediately the drunk passenger opened the door, leaned out and started puking into traffic! By some grace of God nothing got on-- or in-- the car. I handed them a roll of paper towels and a bag and we continued. The sober rider was overly apologetic and very polite while the other pax fell asleep for the ride. We didn't get a second Line call for the trip, so it was just them. After a 25-minute ride from Boston to Dorchester, my take for the trip was a measly $14.20! I was pretty upset since this guy knew no other Line trips would be likely, and instead of probably a $40 ride, he only paid $14.20. I was also 15mins from Boston now in a no-surge area, plus the pax who called (the sober guy) didn't tip at all. I can see how Line ride usage can suck in cases like this. I brushed it off, turned off Driver mode and floored it back into Boston to take advantage of the now-dropping 200% surge.

Trip 5:

The second I hit Boston from leaving Dorchester, I hit on Driver Mode to try and snag a surge trip while they were still lasting. Got a ping in about 1 second for a pax two blocks away. It was a solo girl going down to Canton, MA-- about 30mins away-- to see her boyfriend. I got to the address in about 30mins and netted $45.67 for the trip, including a $5 tip. Nice!

Trip 6:

I was about to call it a night so I headed home. I was now a little far south of Boston and getting tired, and had a 40-mile trip home. I figured I'd turn on Destination Mode to my home while driving back. After about 15mins, *boom*, got the best possible ping! A nice quiet couple going from the Quincy area to Medford.. a distance I had to drive anyway on my way home. They did call for a Line ride, so again I missed out on what would have been a very solid fare, and netted $16.69 for basically my commute home. Can't complain.

Overall I had a very good experience. Every single passenger was kind, nice, friendly and respectful. Aside from the one drunk passenger (whose sober friend made the ride better), I had no issues and no complaints. $111.73 take-home during a couple hours where I probably would've just been watching TV anyway.

My suggestions if you're new:

1. Line rides at primetime/surge time can burn you. If people know there is little likelihood of having to pickup a second Line call along their route, you will be doing a $40 trip for just over $10. I now know once I get more rides in my history that passing on these Line calls will probably end up benefiting me. Instead of getting $14 for a Line ride during peak surge from Boston to Dorchester, I could've made the same amount just bringing someone to South Station and still been in the surge area for another call.

2. Carry paper towels and bags in your car. Like most people I stash a bunch of plastic shopping bags from the supermarket in my house. So I just took a handful to use as barf bags and put them in my glove box with one in the backseat pocket for pax to use. These will be helpful if pax are sick, and for cleaning any unfortunate mess!

3. Use Destination Mode at the beginning and end of your trip if you live outside of the city! It will only match you with fares that bring you towards where you're going, so you can get paid while going into the city and going home at the end of the night when you otherwise would've gotten nothing.

4. People will suggest not buying water bottles, etc., but I would highly suggest it. You can get a case of 36 bottles for under $3 or $4, and you're more than likely to make more than that in tips for the water. Drunk passengers will also be appreciative of some water!

I'm now hooked. I had a great time, talked to some very cool people, and can't complain about making over $100 in a couple of spare hours. Can't wait to get out again, and there was virtually ZERO downtime. Immediately every time I put on Driver Mode, I got a ping within 3 seconds every time. If you're nervous like me to start, just go to an area you are semi-comfortable with. I promise after you are just one ride in, you'll have it down.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It's unreasonable to say you made $81/hour. You were out for (at least) 3 hours and made $111. Still good money, but lets not pretend you actually made that much. After your taxes and expenses you're looking at 25/hour.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
nj2bos that's some good earnings. Remember there are always ups and downs. Hopefully you'll see more ups rather than downs. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
And now his friends and neighbors will all believe that's common earnings even for newbies. No wonder they're jealous and won't tip.

Yes, I had that proverbial rider earlier in the month boasting about his last driver mentioning grossing/netting $100k. But admittedly, I don't hear that from other pax recently.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Here's my first time experience as a rideshare driver in Boston! I live about 20 minutes north of Boston and went in for my first time last night with Lyft. I hope this helps some of you looking to start here but not knowing what to expect.. because I sure didn't! I broke down my trips to give you an idea of how it went below.

I was pretty nervous but saw the primetime/surge bouncing between 200-350% so I had to get out as it was a Friday night.

Summary / TL;DR:

I was driving for about 1h 37m of drive time, and took about an hour to myself towards the end of the night for a Cumberland Farms bathroom and phone call break. In the end I made $111.73 (including $8 in tips), or $81.55/hr on average for my 1h 37m of drive time. This was TAKE HOME pay, after Lyft took their fees. Talk about a pretty nice first night!

Trip 1:

I got to Boston Common and parked on Charles St. between the Public Garden and the Common.. great staging area btw if you're waiting for calls.. plenty of open spots to sit and park even on a Friday night. I went into driver mode and surprisingly within literally 2 seconds had my first ping! The pax were just around the block-- a group of 3 girls going to a party in Cambridge. It was a pretty funny ride, just the group of 3 of them talking in the back about hookups, college life, etc.

Trip 2:

Immediately as I dropped the group of girls off I got a notice that another pax was waiting in the queue, a solo guy just going a few blocks back to his apartment. I got lucky since I wanted to get back into Boston for the surge rates and he happened to be going in that direction. Before I began for the night I picked up a case of 24 bottles of water at 7-11 for $3.99 so I could keep a few in the back seat at all times. He took two of them, thanked me, and tipped $3! The water already almost paid for itself :)

Trip 3:

Flustered, and not yet knowing that I could proactively disable Driver Mode after a current ride so I could just get myself back into the heart of Boston without interruption, yet ANOTHER rider entered my queue. It was another group of girls going to a restaurant in Chinatown in downtown Boston-- score! Just what I was looking for, a paid ride bringing me back into the heart of the surge area where I was going anyway.

Trip 4 (The only frustrating part of the night):

As I dropped the second group of girls off in Chinatown, I got my very first "Line" call. The primetime/surge was at 300% at this time in my area as clubs were getting out so I was hoping for gold. The call was from two pax leaving a club going to Dorchester. One of the pax was borderline black-out drunk and couldn't walk. His friend was holding him up stumbling to the car. They got in, we pulled away and hit a red light. Immediately the drunk passenger opened the door, leaned out and started puking into traffic! By some grace of God nothing got on-- or in-- the car. I handed them a roll of paper towels and a bag and we continued. The sober rider was overly apologetic and very polite while the other pax fell asleep for the ride. We didn't get a second Line call for the trip, so it was just them. After a 25-minute ride from Boston to Dorchester, my take for the trip was a measly $14.20! I was pretty upset since this guy knew no other Line trips would be likely, and instead of probably a $40 ride, he only paid $14.20. I was also 15mins from Boston now in a no-surge area, plus the pax who called (the sober guy) didn't tip at all. I can see how Line ride usage can suck in cases like this. I brushed it off, turned off Driver mode and floored it back into Boston to take advantage of the now-dropping 200% surge.

Trip 5:

The second I hit Boston from leaving Dorchester, I hit on Driver Mode to try and snag a surge trip while they were still lasting. Got a ping in about 1 second for a pax two blocks away. It was a solo girl going down to Canton, MA-- about 30mins away-- to see her boyfriend. I got to the address in about 30mins and netted $45.67 for the trip, including a $5 tip. Nice!

Trip 6:

I was about to call it a night so I headed home. I was now a little far south of Boston and getting tired, and had a 40-mile trip home. I figured I'd turn on Destination Mode to my home while driving back. After about 15mins, *boom*, got the best possible ping! A nice quiet couple going from the Quincy area to Medford.. a distance I had to drive anyway on my way home. They did call for a Line ride, so again I missed out on what would have been a very solid fare, and netted $16.69 for basically my commute home. Can't complain.

Overall I had a very good experience. Every single passenger was kind, nice, friendly and respectful. Aside from the one drunk passenger (whose sober friend made the ride better), I had no issues and no complaints. $111.73 take-home during a couple hours where I probably would've just been watching TV anyway.

My suggestions if you're new:

1. Line rides at primetime/surge time can burn you. If people know there is little likelihood of having to pickup a second Line call along their route, you will be doing a $40 trip for just over $10. I now know once I get more rides in my history that passing on these Line calls will probably end up benefiting me. Instead of getting $14 for a Line ride during peak surge from Boston to Dorchester, I could've made the same amount just bringing someone to South Station and still been in the surge area for another call.

2. Carry paper towels and bags in your car. Like most people I stash a bunch of plastic shopping bags from the supermarket in my house. So I just took a handful to use as barf bags and put them in my glove box with one in the backseat pocket for pax to use. These will be helpful if pax are sick, and for cleaning any unfortunate mess!

3. Use Destination Mode at the beginning and end of your trip if you live outside of the city! It will only match you with fares that bring you towards where you're going, so you can get paid while going into the city and going home at the end of the night when you otherwise would've gotten nothing.

4. People will suggest not buying water bottles, etc., but I would highly suggest it. You can get a case of 36 bottles for under $3 or $4, and you're more than likely to make more than that in tips for the water. Drunk passengers will also be appreciative of some water!

I'm now hooked. I had a great time, talked to some very cool people, and can't complain about making over $100 in a couple of spare hours. Can't wait to get out again, and there was virtually ZERO downtime. Immediately every time I put on Driver Mode, I got a ping within 3 seconds every time. If you're nervous like me to start, just go to an area you are semi-comfortable with. I promise after you are just one ride in, you'll have it down.
Your fervor for rideshare will not last.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Opening this post was like seeing a baby lamb accidentally walk in a den of wolves or witnessing an accident as a kid where you cover your eyes, yet spread your fingers apart to see what happens anyways. I almost could not get through the whole thing lmao.

Good job by the way on your first run!

And now his friends and neighbors will all believe that's common earnings even for newbies. No wonder they're jealous and won't tip.

Yes, I had that proverbial rider earlier in the month boasting about his last driver mentioning grossing/netting $100k. But admittedly, I don't hear that from other pax recently.
I gave a ride to a guy who said he was an accountant and did tax returns for several rideshare drivers who made $100k in 2017.

I don't. He worked at least 3 hours
Depends on your definition of "worked"

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Depends on your definition of "worked"
His first ride started at 12:48 and his last ended at 3:40.

It looks like he didn't take a break from the trip data. Possibly between the second to last to the last, but the break couldn't have been more then 20 mins and most likely at that time he was waiting for a ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts