Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving for about a 5 weeks and lurking on this forum. I've finally decided to stop being such a leech and contribute something.

I'm in between jobs and wanted to take a stab at this Uber thing. My first week was tough. I was grossing about 10/hour and putting my car through the ringer. I started going on this forum and picked up on a few subtle tips here and there and I found myself at around 15/hour.

I've seen all of the problems and complaints that drivers have. In my first few weeks somebody blew chunks in my car and I already got into a fender bender. I was also dealing with low ratings and evaluating what the hell I was doing wrong. Through this all I mindfully try to keep a few of my life philosophies in tact. I always try to stay positive and remind myself that I signed up for this bs and Uber can definitely be manipulated in our favor if done correctly. All we do is drive. It's not that hard of a job and doesn't require any education or skill other than having a drivers license.

This forum has been pretty helpful but the smell of bs is quite faint here. I'm learning to be wary of what advice to take and which to leave.

Now I'm currently doing about 22/hour but I'm still not satisfied knowing that some people are absolutely killing it on here. I currently drive mostly XL at base and I've been getting better at predicting the surge. I try to make as much money as possible while doing the fewest amount of rides that I possibly can.

There's so much more I want to say but this post is starting to get too long.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've been driving for about a 5 weeks and lurking on this forum. I've finally decided to stop being such a leech and contribute something.

I'm in between jobs and wanted to take a stab at this Uber thing. My first week was tough. I was grossing about 10/hour and putting my car through the ringer. I started going on this forum and picked up on a few subtle tips here and there and I found myself at around 15/hour.

I've seen all of the problems and complaints that drivers have. In my first few weeks somebody blew chunks in my car and I already got into a fender bender. I was also dealing with low ratings and evaluating what the hell I was doing wrong. Through this all I mindfully try to keep a few of my life philosophies in tact. I always try to stay positive and remind myself that I signed up for this bs and Uber can definitely be manipulated in our favor if done correctly. All we do is drive. It's not that hard of a job and doesn't require any education or skill other than having a drivers license.

This forum has been pretty helpful but the smell of bs is quite faint here. I'm learning to be wary of what advice to take and which to leave.

Now I'm currently doing about 22/hour but I'm still not satisfied knowing that some people are absolutely killing it on here. I currently drive mostly XL at base and I've been getting better at predicting the surge. I try to make as much money as possible while doing the fewest amount of rides that I possibly can.

There's so much more I want to say but this post is starting to get too long.
+1 for using paragraphs.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Pick an air freshener, if every pax you pick up gets punched in the face with fresh scent you won't even have to try and your rating will improve, as long as you at least sorta know what your doing behind the wheel your good

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Rolling down windows = BAD idea

If your car has a decent cabin air filter, CHILDLOCK YOUR WINDOWS FOREVER.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Don't get me wrong...and I'm fairly sure my time is coming...I've had a half dozen close calls in almost 5k trips, but it is a challenging gig if one does NOT want to have someone toss their cookies in his/her personal ride. Takes street smarts and some applying of life skills. You doing well on the increase of hourly...now focus on who does and doesn't get in your personal ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The main thing to remember is that any time spent driving without a pax is lost income.

That includes driving towards the pickup point.
Would you consider it lost income if you spent time driving a pax at a low rate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me wrong...and I'm fairly sure my time is coming...I've had a half dozen close calls in almost 5k trips, but it is a challenging gig if one does NOT want to have someone toss their cookies in his/her personal ride. Takes street smarts and some applying of life skills. You doing well on the increase of hourly...now focus on who does and doesn't get in your personal ride.
What/who would you consider not giving rides to? In my first week I made a mistake of a taking a pax who was being carried to my car. Are there any other obvious "red flags" that I should know of? I usually try not to discriminate but I'm leaning towards it.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
The main thing to remember is that any time spent driving without a pax is lost income.

That includes driving towards the pickup point.
XL actually gets 72 cents times surge pickup fee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts