Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm done with all my TLC crap so the last step is for me to get a car. What a pain. First off, every lot is loaded with cars. Secondly, when you talk to a rep, they all say they're out of cars. I have no idea what all the cars in the lot are for. Maybe they're fake. Like the cardboard TVs they used to put on entertainment centers they'd sell at a furniture store.

Anyway, here are my experiences so far:

Buggy: After I talked to an Uber rep, he mentioned that "Buggy is right here in the building". So I went and talked to their rep. His name is Aaron. Nice kid. Walked me through the process. They mainly only rent Hyundais, which I'm not a fan of, but I really don't care as long as the payment is right. The problem was, the payment wasn't right. Everything was in the $450 range unless you got something three years old with lots of miles, and if you opted for the older vehicle, there is like a two to three week wait. They also want a $60 application fee.

I didn't know it at the time, but Buggy has the worst terms. And it makes perfect sense. They're the only rental agency in the Uber building. So of course they're going to take advantage of that and charge an application fee (none of the others do) and higher rent, just based on the fact they'll get some lazy customers that won't bother to shop the competition outside of the building.

By the way, they have a minimum three week rental, and you have to give two weeks notice when you're going to return.

Tower Auto Mall: I got a young girl named Ashley. She seemed new at the job, because I quickly picked up the vibe that the reps here are supposed to be hard closers who don't let you walk without committing. She was sweet and kind of naive, though, so I felt comfortable asking pointed questions knowing I was going to get a pretty honest response.

Tower doesn't require an app fee. They also have a parking lot chocked full of cars, yet have no cars available. I suspect they de-prioritize Uber drivers compared to other livery and black car services. I completed an app, and she said she'd get back to me. She called later and said she had a brand new Nissan Altima for $459 a month, or a 2012 Camry with 120K miles for $359. I wasn't crazy about either, especially since the ad on the Uber site says a 2013 Camry is $359. Also, she said, "How does that sound?" It was almost as if she was starting a negotiation, like I should offer $309/week and see what she said. Instead, I told her I'd think about it. I haven't called back.

By the way, they have a minimum 30 days rental, and you have to give two weeks notice when you're going to return.

American Lease: No application fee. No minimum rental. No two weeks notice requirement. And so far, their pricing is the cheapest. The only problem? They have the smallest lot, and seemingly the smallest inventory. They're also out of cars. I forgot my rep's name, but she was a young Hispanic girl, and she wasn't "sales reppy" at all. She was more like a government worker, like she's not on commission. That said, she was very nice and helpful, and let me know when cars are supposed to be in.

And, their pricing is exactly what's on Uber's website! A brand new off the truck Camry is $415/week--more than $40/wk cheaper than Buggy and Tower for comparable models--and a 2014/2015 Camry is $400/week. I put myself on the waiting list for whatever they get next.

I went in wanting to get something around $350/week, but I learned that getting that means waiting at least a couple of weeks for one of the older cars to get turned in, and I just don't have that kind of time. OR, the $350 cars just don't exist, and it's a bait-and-switch. So it looks like I'm getting a Camry at American unless something else pops up first.

There is one other agency on Uber's website, but I drove past it right when they were about to close so I didn't bother stopping. If anyone has any information about Fast Track Leasing, please post it below.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I'm done with all my TLC crap so the last step is for me to get a car. What a pain. First off, every lot is loaded with cars. Secondly, when you talk to a rep, they all say they're out of cars. I have no idea what all the cars in the lot are for. Maybe they're fake. Like the cardboard TVs they used to put on entertainment centers they'd sell at a furniture store.

Anyway, here are my experiences so far:

Buggy: After I talked to an Uber rep, he mentioned that "Buggy is right here in the building". So I went and talked to their rep. His name is Aaron. Nice kid. Walked me through the process. They mainly only rent Hyundais, which I'm not a fan of, but I really don't care if the payment is right. The problem was, the payment wasn't right. Everything was in the $450 range unless you got something three years old with lots of miles, and if you opted for the older vehicle, there is like a two to three week wait. They also want a $60 application fee.

I didn't know it at the time, but Buggy has the worst terms. And it makes perfect sense. They're the only rental agency in the Uber building. So of course they're going to take advantage of that and charge an application fee (none of the others do) and higher rent, just based on the fact they'll get some lazy customers that won't bother to shop the competition outside of the building.

By the way, they have a minimum three week rental, and you have to give two weeks notice when you're going to return.

Tower Auto Mall: I got a young girl named Ashley. She seemed new at the job, because I quickly picked up the vibe that the reps here are supposed to be hard closers who don't let you walk without committing. She was sweet and kind of naive, though, so I felt comfortable asking pointed questions knowing I was going to get a pretty honest response.

Tower doesn't require an app fee. They also have a parking lot chocked full of cars, yet have no cars available. I suspect they de-prioritize Uber drivers compared to other livery and black car services. I completed an app, and she said she'd get back to me. She called later and said she had a brand new Nissan Altima for $459 a month, or a 2012 Camry with 120K miles for $359. I wasn't crazy about either, especially since the ad on the Uber site says a 2013 Camry is $359. Also, she said, "How does that sound?" It was almost as if she was starting a negotiation, like I should offer $309/week and see what she said. Instead, I told her I'd think about it. I haven't called back.

By the way, they have a minimum 30 days rental, and you have to give two weeks notice when you're going to return.

American Lease: No application fee. No minimum rental. No two weeks notice requirement. And so far, their pricing is the cheapest. The only problem? They have the smallest lot, and seemingly the smallest inventory. They're also out of cars. I forgot my rep's name, but she was a young Hispanic girl, and she wasn't "sales reppy" at all. She was more like a government worker, like she's not on commission. That said, she was very nice and helpful, and let me know when cars are supposed to be in.

And, their pricing is exactly what's on Uber's website! A brand new off the truck Camry is $415/week--more than $40/wk cheaper than Buggy and Tower for comparable models--and a 2014/2015 Camry is $400/week. I put myself on the waiting list for whatever they get next.

I went in wanting to get something around $350/week, but I learned that getting that means waiting at least a couple of weeks for one of the older cars to get turned in, and I just don't have that kind of time. OR, the $350 cars just don't exist, and it's a bait-and-switch. So it looks like I'm getting a Camry at American unless something else pops up first.

There is one other agency on Uber's website, but I drove past it right when they were about to close so I didn't bother stopping. If anyone has any information about Fast Track Leasing, please post it below.
Thanks for sharing ur experience.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Ok , I'm returning my car to private owner , rent 385 2014 camry , if you are interested Ill give you his number.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do any of these places offer SUVs
Yes, but not to Uber drivers apparently. Tower had a ton of gorgeous Yukons, Escalades, and Highlanders, but they never mentioned any of them to me. I think they consider brand new Uber drivers with brand new TLC licenses higher risk, and only want to rent the Camry/Altimas to them.

Ok , I'm returning my car to private owner , rent 385 2014 camry , if you are interested Ill give you his number.
Hell yeah. Well, actually, Uber is paying for my first two weeks of rent, so I definitely want to take advantage of that first, then possibly switch out of whatever the hell I get.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
American first tried to put me in a 2015 Nissan Altima, which I thought was okay when I rented one a couple months back, but my wife hated it. They let me sit inside one, and honestly, I thought the Altima front seat was more comfortable than the Camry's. But the Altima did look very cheap inside. And while the Camry interior has this fake-ish leather/cloth look, it looks better than the Altima. So I asked that they put me in a 2015 Camry instead. I'm picking one up at 9:30 am tomorrow.

And so it begins.

·
Registered
417 Posts
American first tried to put me in a 2015 Nissan Altima, which I thought was okay when I rented one a couple months back, but my wife hated it. They let me sit inside one, and honestly, I thought the Altima front seat was more comfortable than the Camry's. But the Altima did look very cheap inside. And while the Camry interior has this fake-ish leather/cloth look, it looks better than the Altima. So I asked that they put me in a 2015 Camry instead. I'm picking one up at 9:30 am tomorrow.

And so it begins.
Good for you man. Best of luck I hope you do well.

·
Registered
417 Posts

And so it begins.
Did you happen to check out any Hyundais? What were your thoughts on them if you did?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Once i get my TLC license (should be in the mail) i will start looking for cars but how was the pricing on the altima? And good luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you happen to check out any Hyundais? What were your thoughts on them if you did?
The 2015 and 16 Sonata are beautiful. Nicer looking than the Camry. I just didn't want to do business with Buggy, and the newer Sonata was $429/week while I'll be paying $400/week for the Camry. $29 x 4= $116/month less money I'll make.

Once i get my TLC license (should be in the mail) i will start looking for cars but how was the pricing on the altima? And good luck
Tower quoted me $459 for a 2016 Altima. American quoted me $400 for a 2015. American treats the Altima and Camry exactly the same as far as pricing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 2015 and 16 Sonata are beautiful. Nicer looking than the Camry. I just didn't want to do business with Buggy, and the newer Sonata was $429/week while I'll be paying $400/week for the Camry. $29 x 4= $116/month less money I'll make.

Tower quoted me $459 for a 2016 Altima. American quoted me $400 for a 2015. American treats the Altima and Camry exactly the same as far as pricing.
Would you suggest American? Over any other dealer? I plan to rent for now but after saving up the Elantra seems better looking and mpg is on par or even a bit better than Camry

·
Registered
417 Posts

That makes sense, I didnt like the vibe at Buggy when I went there at all. And treating the altima and camry the same is nuts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Would you suggest American? Over any other dealer? I plan to rent for now but after saving up the Elantra seems better looking and mpg is on par or even a bit better than Camry
I was/am thinking of the Elantra but Ive read more negative things about it compared to the Altima, Camry or Sonata.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep in mind, the Elantra is not mid-sized; it's Hyundai's economy car. That could hurt you with customers. I didn't even consider any of the economy cars (Corolla, Elantra, Chrysler 200) because comfort is important to me. Remember, you're going to be in your car all day. The last thing I want is a car with a cramped seat.

That makes sense, I didnt like the vibe at Buggy when I went there at all. And treating the altima and camry the same is nuts.
Well, the Altima and Camry are competitors in the marketplace and priced about the same, so I get it.

I was/am thinking of the Elantra but Ive read more negative things about it compared to the Altima, Camry or Sonata.
See what I wrote above. I didn't even consider it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Keep in mind, the Elantra is not mid-sized; it's Hyundai's economy car. That could hurt you with customers. I didn't even consider any of the economy cars (Corolla, Elantra, Chrysler 200) because comfort is important to me. Remember, you're going to be in car all day. The last thing I want is a car with a cramped seat.

Well, the Altima and Camry are competitors in the marketplace and priced about the same, so I get it.

See what I wrote above. I didn't even consider it.
for some reason I thought the Altima was on par with the Elantra and the Maxima was the car most like the Camry, clearly I was mistaken. Im glad I asked and didnt make the mistake of going Elantra for $359 at FTL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
not to hijack your thread but if anyone is interested on renting a 2015 Altima for a 12hr day shift a week hit me up, I'm located in the bronx

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats and tyvm for the write up, very helpful to figure where to go since none of the
information out there is accurate and a lot of it is just lies, can I ask you a couple of noob
questions about maintenance and whats included like oil changes and flat tires, also were
you able to get the 2 weeks free offer ? ($850 question lol) Do you need a promo code or
something TIA, Good Luck & May the $urge be with you ;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts