Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three separate times tonight I had to put my foot down when I roll up to a location and see a group of five 20-something YOLOs try to climb into the car. They seem to think that I'm willing to risk getting ticketed (not to mentioned sued into the stone age if we get in an accident) for a $20 ride. They know exactly what type of car they're requesting; if they need more room, that's what UberSUV is for.

If I see more people wanting a ride than I can hold in my car, they get two options:
1) Request a second UberX for the other riders, or
2) Client requested cancel. $5 charge.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I recently decided I will not accept a group if they have more than 4 passengers. I drive an SUV with a 3rd row (UberX) but I realized that God forbid if I were involved in an accident, even though there would be enough available seat belts, uber might blame me for having more passengers than the advertised maximum of 4 and decline any of their magical insurance coverage.

I think it will be best for me to decline the whole group and drive away vs get a guaranteed low rating by the cheapos for me enforcing the law / uber rules.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I recently decided I will not accept a group if they have more than 4 passengers. I drive an SUV with a 3rd row (UberX) but I realized that God forbid if I were involved in an accident, even though there would be enough available seat belts, uber might blame me for having more passengers than the advertised maximum of 4 and decline any of their magical insurance coverage.

I think it will be best for me to decline the whole group and drive away vs get a guaranteed low rating by the cheapos for me enforcing the law / uber rules.
I think you're ok as long as you stay within what the vehicle is rated for. But if they want more than that, you may hope to bail out of the ride entirely and avoid a nearly guaranteed low rating for following the law. Of course, that last part is likely not kosher official policy. I can seat 6 passengers, yet even still I get people wanting 7-8.

https://partners.uber.com/faq/questions/1001

What if I'm asked to take more passengers than I can fit?
You should never feel pressured to take more passengers than you can legally seat in your vehicle.

If this happens, politely let your clients know that someone else in the group will have to request another Uber for the extra passengers.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Three separate times tonight I had to put my foot down when I roll up to a location and see a group of five 20-something YOLOs try to climb into the car. They seem to think that I'm willing to risk getting ticketed (not to mentioned sued into the stone age if we get in an accident) for a $20 ride. They know exactly what type of car they're requesting; if they need more room, that's what UberSUV is for.

If I see more people wanting a ride than I can hold in my car, they get two options:
1) Request a second UberX for the other riders, or
2) Client requested cancel. $5 charge.
I rocked up to a pickup the other day.

4 passengers and a couple of stacks of pizzas at least 2 foot high. I asked them to put them in the boot and they said they'll carry them on their laps.

Technically they are unrestrained goods in a cabin and I should've insisted - the car stank for hours of Pizza.

·
Registered
723 Posts
the car stank for hours of Pizza.
I always carry a spray can of air freshener (apple cinnamon), and I'll usually spray the back after every trip. I get a lot of compliments on how good my car smells. I go through about a can a month, and they only cost $1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had this same problem twice now and I've only been on the road for two weeks. One guy had an open beer in his hand! I'm not going to risk getting ticketed for an overloaded car and open container AND beat the hell out of my car for these cheapskates.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I would ask that Uber put the four passenger limitation in their brief description of UberX on the uber.com page.

In addition to the safety and legal issues of having more riders than seat belts is the weight capacity of the car. Take a look at your owner's manual and you might be surprised that even with only four passengers you might be over the weight specifications on your car.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Uber have had plenty of feedback about this problem. I bet in EVERY City they operate in.

It just goes to show the cavalier attitude it has towards the safety of its drivers and riders.

Any rider who is reported trying this on SHOULD have their account deactivated immediately with a message to respond to an email stating they understand they can only put 4pax in a UBERX or sedan vehicle. Once they accept that condition they get put back online.

Uber continues to facilitate this dangerous practice with it policy of doing nothing

·
Banned
167 Posts
Every single rating of 3 or less that I have gotten on Uber was as a result of me politely telling passengers that I cannot accommodate more than 4 passengers. I even offer to give them a code to make the other ride free. I had one passenger tell me that I "seriously messed up" his plans by making his group of 6 split up and not pile into my Ford Edge. I have concluded that I will automatically cancel every ride where there are 5 or more people who don't tell me that they have ALREADY requested a second ride.

·
Banned
167 Posts
I went to a hotel on Church Street for a pick-up about a week ago, texted the passenger that I was there, waited 5 minutes, then 2 drunk girls come out and inform me that "we're waiting on 3 more", to which I inform her that, "I only have 4 seats available", and she rudely replied with, "Are you going to ****ing cry about it?". "GET THE **** OUT OF MY CAR *****!", and of course, the obligatory, "have a nice day" *cancel*

·
Banned
167 Posts
I would ask that Uber put the four passenger limitation in their brief description of UberX on the uber.com page.

In addition to the safety and legal issues of having more riders than seat belts is the weight capacity of the car. Take a look at your owner's manual and you might be surprised that even with only four passengers you might be over the weight specifications on your car.
It actually does say "4 people max" in a pop-up if you click on the "uberx" button on the app.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I think there should be another box where you enter and confirm the number of passengers riding, before a rider requests a car.

It can be done with surge pricing, where the passenger confirms this by entering the multiple before requesting a car.

It will also help the driver and make it quicker when approaching the pick upto see how many people they're expected. Eg. If 2 people are confirmed to ride then the driver can look for couples (or pull up next to a couple) when approaching pick up.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I have concluded that I will automatically cancel every ride where there are 5 or more people who don't tell me that they have ALREADY requested a second ride.
Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum. Looks like were in the same town.

That's about the only way I think you can avoid a pretty bad rating for the ride. If you have to deny someone anything, you're likely to take a ratings hit for it. This goes from open alcohol to smoking to # passengers to blasting out the radio.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I think there should be another box where you enter and confirm the number of passengers riding, before a rider requests a car.

It can be done with surge pricing, where the passenger confirms this by entering the multiple before requesting a car.

It will also help the driver and make it quicker when approaching the pick upto see how many people they're expected. Eg. If 2 people are confirmed to ride then the driver can look for couples (or pull up next to a couple) when approaching pick up.
Some passengers have said to me that they looked for a place to put the number of people and wish there were one.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Some passengers have said to me that they looked for a place to put the number of people and wish there were one.
It's interesting that Uber doesn't give them a way to indicate the number of passengers, yet the waybill on our end has a listing for it (it always says "Passengers: 1").o_O

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
That's true!

Although it may be a legal requirement to note the number of passengers when a trip is carried out in case an enforcement/licensing officer checks in certain countries/cities.

Whether it matters if its correct or not I don't know.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Why, why don't they require pax to give total # of riders, how many stops etc......I always see 1 rider and destination TBD....

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Why, why don't they require pax to give total # of riders, how many stops etc......I always see 1 rider and destination TBD....
Perhaps it's further pandering to the target demographic - the average youngster can't be bothered with detail, they just expect everything to mysteriously happen the way they desire.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts