Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year anniversary with Uber is here. So how did it go?

My 2nd week out with Uber back in September of last year I made over $1000 and was feeling really good. It was so nice to have an extra grand on top of my real job deposited into my account. Each trip to JFK was over $100 gross fare and each trip to Newark was about $65. Then came the price drops which made it a bit miserable. Suddenly Newark Airport runs were $50 and JFK runs were under $100.

The best money-makers are:

1) 4am to 9am Weekdays- Lots of airport runs and people moving around in the morning.

2) Jersey Shore Summer Weekends- Nearly every fare is a long one. No short fares. I found its better to hit it earlier in the summer versus later. July seems like the very best time to be at the shore. Rates are close to NYC UberX rates.

3) Bad weather- Any time it rains or snows is an AWESOME time to Uber. It was dangerous for me Ubering around in the snow, but I made $1300 during one week which involved a lot of surges.

4) Hoboken- ALWAYS fares in Hoboken no matter the day or time. Hoboken is where you want to be during bad weather. Always lots of surges during bad weather. I have not experienced any harassment from the cops and lets say I did get a ticket in Hoboken its $200 for Uber. It involves going down to the courthouse, standing there in court and saying guilty. Than you pony up $200 and Uber reimburses you. I have heard the cops only harass you on Friday and Saturday nights and its just one cop and a few ticket agents. That should not scare you at all.

5) Under 30 degrees- Once it gets below 30 degrees everyone wants to jump in a car.

The worst money-makers are:

1) The Airport- There is so much competition at the airport and the cops have it locked down. People just get picked up by family and take the shuttle bus most of the time. You have to time the flights just right otherwise you find yourself orbiting around the airport when you could be making money elsewhere. After trying the airport out on several occasions, I got a few great fares, but than I had trouble with the cops and there was a lot of time I was just not getting a fare at all.

2) 9am to 3pm- Ive found this the worst time to make money as people usually sit somewhere to work each day or veg back at the home. Not much need for a car during this time.

In another day or so I will be turning in my completed package for the NYC TLC license. If you want to make money you need that license. Another thing is I am changing my vehicle to a Toyota Sienna which is capable of both UberX and UberXL. About a year ago when I first started I saw a LOT of Suburbans and Lincoln MKTS. The Lincoln MKTS I dont see anymore and I see but a few Suburbans cruising around. Most of the Uber cars I see in NYC are the Hybrid Toyota Camry. My strategy is to get a car which qualifies for more than one service to keep the back occupied at any given time.

I was in Atlantic City several months ago when I saw an Uber pull up which was a 6 year old Dodge Caravan. Caravans are cheap, practical but unreliable. This guy was smart. The van was probably not worth more than 10 grand, but it did qualify as both an UberX and an UberXL. Smart guy. Run the van into the ground toting people around Atlantic City and in any event the van can be sold for 3-5k one day as long as it runs.

So I think the minivan is the way to go in NYC. People are so incredibly cheap that they are not going to pull the handle on the BLACK or the SUV unless they really have to do it. I think its more likely they will pull the handle for UberX or UberXL. If they have a lot of people or stuff they wont just hit SUV, but more likely hit UBERXL. In any event most people just want a ride dont care how comfortable it is or what shows up in the long run.

The reason why Im here posting is not because I like Uber or enjoy driving people around. Actually, I absolutely hate it and would love to see people find something else to do. In fact, I would love to find something else to do. Im here to help people like myself out having had that year of experience. Uber tells you absolutely nothing. They just hand you a phone and thats it.

So feel free to ask questions. Send me a message. Ill help you the best I can...

·
Registered
484 Posts

My 2nd week out with Uber back in September of last year I made over $1000 and was feeling really good. It was so nice to have an extra grand on top of my real job deposited into my account. Each trip to JFK was over $100 gross fare and each trip to Newark was about $65. Then came the price drops which made it a bit miserable. Suddenly Newark Airport runs were $50 and JFK runs were under $100.

1) 4am to 9am Weekdays- Lots of airport runs and people moving around in the morning.

2) Jersey Shore Summer Weekends- Nearly every fare is a long one. No short fares. I found its better to hit it earlier in the summer versus later. July seems like the very best time to be at the shore. Rates are close to NYC UberX rates.

3) Bad weather- Any time it rains or snows is an AWESOME time to Uber. It was dangerous for me Ubering around in the snow, but I made $1300 during one week which involved a lot of surges.

4) Hoboken- ALWAYS fares in Hoboken no matter the day or time. Hoboken is where you want to be during bad weather. Always lots of surges during bad weather. I have not experienced any harassment from the cops and lets say I did get a ticket in Hoboken its $200 for Uber. It involves going down to the courthouse, standing there in court and saying guilty. Than you pony up $200 and Uber reimburses you. I have heard the cops only harass you on Friday and Saturday nights and its just one cop and a few ticket agents. That should not scare you at all.

5) Under 30 degrees- Once it gets below 30 degrees everyone wants to jump in a car.

1) The Airport- There is so much competition at the airport and the cops have it locked down. People just get picked up by family and take the shuttle bus most of the time. You have to time the flights just right otherwise you find yourself orbiting around the airport when you could be making money elsewhere. After trying the airport out on several occasions, I got a few great fares, but than I had trouble with the cops and there was a lot of time I was just not getting a fare at all.

2) 9am to 3pm- Ive found this the worst time to make money as people usually sit somewhere to work each day or veg back at the home. Not much need for a car during this time.

In another day or so I will be turning in my completed package for the NYC TLC license. If you want to make money you need that license. Another thing is I am changing my vehicle to a Toyota Sienna which is capable of both UberX and UberXL. About a year ago when I first started I saw a LOT of Suburbans and Lincoln MKTS. The Lincoln MKTS I dont see anymore and I see but a few Suburbans cruising around. Most of the Uber cars I see in NYC are the Hybrid Toyota Camry. My strategy is to get a car which qualifies for more than one service to keep the back occupied at any given time.

I was in Atlantic City several months ago when I saw an Uber pull up which was a 6 year old Dodge Caravan. Caravans are cheap, practical but unreliable. This guy was smart. The van was probably not worth more than 10 grand, but it did qualify as both an UberX and an UberXL. Smart guy. Run the van into the ground toting people around Atlantic City and in any event the van can be sold for 3-5k one day as long as it runs.

So I think the minivan is the way to go in NYC. People are so incredibly cheap that they are not going to pull the handle on the BLACK or the SUV unless they really have to do it. I think its more likely they will pull the handle for UberX or UberXL. If they have a lot of people or stuff they wont just hit SUV, but more likely hit UBERXL. In any event most people just want a ride dont care how comfortable it is or what shows up in the long run.

The reason why Im here posting is not because I like Uber or enjoy driving people around. Actually, I absolutely hate it and would love to see people find something else to do. In fact, I would love to find something else to do. Im here to help people like myself out having had that year of experience. Uber tells you absolutely nothing. They just hand you a phone and thats it.

So feel free to ask questions. Send me a message. Ill help you the best I can...
Make sure you get a all wheel drive Siena for the snow

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mpg is 7% worse and reliability is worse with awd model. There were only 10 snow days last year. Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
971 Posts

So you start at 1.65/mile!!! I start in July last year and the first cut was right after Labor Day. From 1.90/mile to 1.65/mile. That was still ok. Hoboken to JFK was 80-85$ from around 100$ when I start. Then the worst cut came in for Halloween when they bring uber x at 1.10/mile. Did one LGA last week at 47$ from JC downtown. Crap

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
So you start at 1.65/mile!!! I start in July last year and the first cut was right after Labor Day. From 1.90/mile to 1.65/mile. That was still ok. Hoboken to JFK was 80-85$ from around 100$ when I start. Then the worst cut came in for Halloween when they bring uber x at 1.10/mile. Did one LGA last week at 47$ from JC downtown. Crap
Take out the tolls and you probably only made $35 on a 2 hour ride back and forth. Uber scam jackasses!

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do know NY EZ Pass holders get discounted tolls at the bridges. Like 5.50 for Throgs neck. I have both NY and NJ Ez Pass. NJ pass for NJ tolls and thats a discount. NY EZpass for NY tolls.

Ive thought it all out. The tolls are still tolls, but I dont pay full cash fare.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You do know NY EZ Pass holders get discounted tolls at the bridges. Like 5.50 for Throgs neck. I have both NY and NJ Ez Pass. NJ pass for NJ tolls and thats a discount. NY EZpass for NY tolls.

Ive thought it all out. The tolls are still tolls, but I dont pay full cash fare.
I just learned this the other day from you

Is it confirmed to work? I can just go online and order one correct? Is hiding your NJ ezpass in the glove box good enough so both don't get picked up?

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have two EZ Pass, one NJ and one NY. The NY EZpass comes with a special bag that doesnt let signal through. Just remember to switch them out as needed. Just apply on NY website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts