Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I accepted a job in Sandy Springs and was wondering if there is high demand outside downtown. I have over 750 trips here in Pittsburgh on the Uber X platform and did most of my rides in Pittsburgh proper. Before I go online of course I will learn the roads etc of the Atlanta metro area. Looks like the 404 does uber pool so I'll stay away from that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are still in testing mode, for me it did not affect my business too much as it is offered to select PAX. However there is still concern but in the near term drivers in Pitt will not be obsolete

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've only done this for two days thus far, but the pax can send you just about anywhere in the metro area. On my second day I did a number in my area, but then in two trips I went from Lawrenceville to Sandy Springs, to north Marietta. From there to Midtown then to Decatur. As far as I can tell there's no way to stay in one area unless you cancel trips after you find out the destination.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it surge a lot or just for sporting events etc? Up here its usually for that and around 2am on Fri-Sat nights after the bars close.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Others may have observed differently, but I see surges pop up and go away all day long. However, I have a real day job so I don't watch as closely during the daytime. Seems starting around 3pm the surges really pick up.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Commuting hours tend to surge in various pockets around the perimeter.

If you have a full time job, you shouldn't care about those but it does usually surge in the Sandy Springs area in the afternoon. You may catch a ride or two from work on your way home if that's what you like to do.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Be prepared for sticker shock. Pittsburgh: $5.50 minimum fare (after booking fee), $1.30 base, 15 cents per minute and $1.05 per mile. Atlanta: $5.00 (after booking fee) $1 base, 12 cents per minute and 75 cents per mile. Meaning you will drive further to exceed the minimum and when you do it is for 30 cents less per mile. Also the minimum fare will pay you less. It is easy to make $4 an hour.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Be prepared for sticker shock. Pittsburgh: $5.50 minimum fare (after booking fee), $1.30 base, 15 cents per minute and $1.05 per mile. Atlanta: $5.00 (after booking fee) $1 base, 12 cents per minute and 75 cents per mile. Meaning you will drive further to exceed the minimum and when you do it is for 30 cents less per mile. Also the minimum fare will pay you less. It is easy to make $4 an hour.
Don't let negeorgia try to discourage you. You can make $5 an hour easy!

·
Registered
317 Posts
You said that you'll be working in Sandy Springs. This particular part of town often surges. Stay away from pool rides and only accept X rides. Most often, they will not leave the Sandy Springs area. Many times I've done 8 - 11 rides before leaving Sandy Springs/Dunwoody.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be working full time during the week however I'll definitely use the destination trips for my way home. Will be doing Fri-Sat nights Yikes that's a steep fare cut. After Uber takes their 25% I get $4.12 for minimum trip

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi All

I accepted a job in Sandy Springs and was wondering if there is high demand outside downtown. I have over 750 trips here in Pittsburgh on the Uber X platform and did most of my rides in Pittsburgh proper. Before I go online of course I will learn the roads etc of the Atlanta metro area. Looks like the 404 does uber pool so I'll stay away from that.
It seems as though the older Uber drivers have a lot more trouble making money in Atlanta. If you work at a good pace, know direction and learn fast you can make it work in sure.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Don't worry about learning the roads. They make no sense in metro Atlanta. The same road can change names 4 or 5 different times with no logic. There is no grid system and most roads are paved over wagon paths that lead to old ferry crossing on the river. Know how to use the GPS app. It will keep you put of trouble for the most part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts