Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
The minimum fare is $5.00. Before, Uber took out their $1.70 and then another 20% for some of us and 25% for others. I'm a 25%er so that left me $2.47 each time. Now they will take out $2.05 and then another 25% of what is left, leaving me $2.21. :-(

·
Registered
244 Posts
So that is assuming the minimum fare is still $5.00. I am wondering because the note we received said that the change would not affect the amount we receive, and we know Uber NEVER lies to us.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It says it won't impact the amount we will get for our fare, and it won't for any except the minimum fare rides, so I think they just forgot that exception. They haven't raised the minimum fares, yet, and I'm going to assume they won't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The notification I received in my app was that the BOOKING FEE increased from 1.70 to 2.05 (not the base rate). When you click Learn More on that notification, it explains that the Booking Fee is a flat fee that is added to every trip. It "is included in the rider's total fare and does not impact the amount you receive for each trip." If you're paying attention to your tax summary, you'll see it identified there and it does become a part of the total amount reported on your 1099-K (check with your tax professional to see if this is then deductible for you). However, you shouldn't see a difference in your minimum fare since it's a fee the rider pays on top of the fare. If you've ever been a passenger, take a look at the receipt you received and you'll see it listed as a separate item from your fare (Base Fare + Time + Distance = Subtotal/Fare. Then, Subtotal + Booking Fee = Rider's Total Charge).

Bottom line: the increased booking fee only affects riders; it doesn't affect a partner's take of the fare.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'd like to believerthat, but will have until I get a minimum fare before I do.

Just out of curiosity, what is your minimum fare and how is it arrived at? Mine in X is $5. Uber took $1.70 and 25% of the remaining $3.30, for a total of $2.53. I got $2.47, and have ever since I started driving last April 2nd.

I haven't driven a minimum fare since the 18th, but anticipate my cut will be $2.21 now instead of $2.47. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I got a minimum net fare of 2.47 as well. I've been driving about 2 weeks longer than you (started end of March 2016). I think we're looking at the same thing differently. The base fare of $5 is what the passenger used to pay and that included the 1.70 Booking Fee that Uber collects and we never see. Then they took their 25% service fee out of the remaining 3.30, leaving us with 2.47 as our minimum net fare. However, if you go a fare estimator for St. Louis on the Uber website today and enter a really short trip, you'll see the new minimum fare for a rider is now 5.35, instead of 5.00. If you take the new Booking Fee of 2.05 off that 5.35, it leaves the same base driver fare of 3.30, of which they'll take the 25% service fee, leaving you with 2.47 as your net fare.

For tax purposes on the 1099-K, they report the total fare (with split fees, booking fees, service fees, etc.) all included. Those fees are visible on our tax summaries. I was able to deduct all those fees. You should check with your tax professional to see what your eligible for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.