Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Most Frequent Lie

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Fuzzyelvis 
#1 ·
What's the most frequent lie you hear from a PAX? :eek:
For me, it's "There are only 4 people in the car!" while the 5th tries to hide on the floor.
The excessive giggling and whispering give it away every time. :D

#5 ·
Good one! Now I watch the clock closely. After 6 minutes (5 plus a one minute buffer), I cancel and I'm gone. Extra leeway given during a surge.
"I know how to drink"
LMAO, I can smell that 10 seconds after the PAX enters my car. It obvious the PAX has TOO much knowledge about drinking yet not enough about STOPPING.

#8 · (Edited)
... a group of five people have snuck into your car while you're sitting in the driver's seat and you didn't notice? More than once?
I almost always notice more than four people trying to get into the car. So I say something. Yet the group thinks that they are so cool (drunk or high) that they can convenience me that math and physics have suddenly been altered in the universe and that now 5=4. So I repeat myself. They whine, plead and continue to lie, but eventually they notice that we are not moving. The histrionics continue, sometimes intensify and a bribe is occasionally mentioned, although rarely does any money actually appear. I am told that I am not being "cool", which I already know, so this does not "wound" me especially deep. I politely, but firmly explain that until their altered reality matches mine that we will not be moving. Eventually, we have a "Vulcan mind meld" and one or more, perhaps all leave the car.

#10 ·
..."OTHER Uber drivers allow/do it!" :mad: ...
Ditto ... I politely explain that I'm not responsible for what other drivers do. This is how I do it.
..."I'm 18, born in [year] two thousand and..." :confused:
Unaccompanied under 18 is a violation of the rider TOS, but what can happen to a driver (knowing or unknowing)?
... "I'll tip you." :mad:
I politely inquire how much and/or to see the expected tip. Depending on the PAX and my mood, I may request that whatever amount the PAX has volunteered be handed over before we move. Knowing that otherwise the PAX will jump out at the destination and stiff me.

#17 ·
"I would tip you if I had cash"
I have done something close to this as a Pax on business in Vegas. All I had was $20 bills so I apologized to the driver and asked if he had any change as I wanted to tip him. He didn't have any and said it was fine. But I felt really guilty. On the way back to the airport the drive got the tip for the last driver plus the tip for himself which ended up being $10.oo on an $11.00 trip.

I know the first driver thought I was lying. It sometimes happens. I know that I seldom carry cash unless a Pax has tipped me. Funny thing is I had tips on 3 of my first 4 rides as a driver and have not had another in the last month.

#19 ·
Or
You wouldn't...
That is why I have a Square. I have got 3 tips off of it when people say this. Yes that is 3. Then there are the multiple time when I tell them I have a Square and they get the deer in the headlight look. I know there isn't going to be a tip but at least I get to see them sweat for a bit.

#20 ·
Love it! Nice play.
I have been known to accept a credit card for fees necessary when I return items found in my car. I take credit cards in one of my other businesses, so it's easy to run the card. Of course, their statement shows a charge for ********* TECHNICAL SERVICES, LLC but what do I care?

Reactions: Jt UberXL
#22 ·
Or
You wouldn't...
Has to be my current pick for the MOST BLATANT BS AWARD.
If they'd intended tipping, they would've made sure they'd brought the appropriate amount of cash.
Just a current variation of the age-old trip to a bar with someone who's conveniently "forgotten my wallet" once you get inside.

#23 ·
Biggest pax lie: "If you do this, I'll tip you for it." Once you get to their destination they jump out like you are diseased.
All favors must be paid for ahead of time, in cash. If it involves breaking the law, such as speeding or a u turn, it's $500 upfront, in my hand, to cover compensation, possible fines and an increase in my insurance premiums. No one has taken me up on this offer.

#25 ·
What's the most frequent lie you hear from a PAX? :eek:
For me, it's "There are only 4 people in the car!" while the 5th tries to hide on the floor.
The excessive giggling and whispering give it away every time. :D
I roll-up with my doors locked, and identify my account holder through the window by having them give me their name, then I further ask them if all their pax are present.

If they say 'yes', and I like the count - I unlock the doors letting them in. If they say 'no', I ask them the count and unlock the doors if I like what I hear, or work something out if I don't (before I unlock my doors).

I find that keeping my doors locked until I'm satisfied puts a great deal of onus on the pax, and puts a quick end to any hi-jinx. If they're carrying beverages late at night, I get that resolved before the doors get unlocked too.

By keeping the doors locked and not starting the ride on the app until I'm satisfied, I can easily pull away without giving them a chance to rate me if things goes poorly.

I like the job and I like my pax, but I'm blown away by drivers that just let the pax pull open a door and pile-in. It strikes me as a disrespectful way for the pax to start our mutual relationship for the duration of the trip, but many drivers must allow it because a fair amount of pax try to do it!

#26 ·
I've used Uber as a rider for a while and I don't understand how some riders act like they are hopping in the car with a buddy who doesn't care... In just 6 days I've gotten a hard time about not buckling up(my car doesn't stop dinging, so just do it) to one woman having me drive her all over short distances and even waiting for food to be cooked at a steak house... She made it a point to tell me that is "costs next to nothing to just wait"... And I couldn't argue... 13 cents....

Has to be my current pick for the MOST BLATANT BS AWARD.
If they'd intended tipping, they would've made sure they'd brought the appropriate amount of cash.
Just a current variation of the age-old trip to a bar with someone who's conveniently "forgotten my wallet" once you get inside.
I had a guy say that and then insisted that I drive to a store several miles away so he could buy me a bottle of water and get cash back. It was supposed to be a 4 mile trip haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.