Uber Drivers Forum banner

Morning surge

715 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DriverX 
#1 ·
There seems to be a morning surge in pb/la jolla at around 7:30-7:45. I've started going to the Starbucks in bird rock then and wait for it to light up. It has been working although it said 3.6 surge when I would get a ping it would be for 1.7. I think they are ****ing with me. I let it run out 3 times and got a 4 minute penalty for delay of game before I eventually got a 2.3. It's nice to get a coffee and look at the ocean while waiting for surge though.

#4 ·
There seems to be a morning surge in pb/la jolla at around 7:30-7:45. I've started going to the Starbucks in bird rock then and wait for it to light up. It has been working although it said 3.6 surge when I would get a ping it would be for 1.7. I think they are &%$@!*ing with me. I let it run out 3 times and got a 4 minute penalty for delay of game before I eventually got a 2.3. It's nice to get a coffee and look at the ocean while waiting for surge though.
THe surges are fast nowadays, ubers got their fingers on the dial. You made the right move, wait it out for the better ride if its high or going up. You might not always score but that 2.3x is always the better option.

Sometimes the bar eats you, sometimes you eat the bar.

I dropped into a 2.5x last night got a couple sub 2x NOPE not gonna do it.
I probably should have taken the the 2.1x but it was 13 minutes away. meh

I've found morning passengers don't act all entitled like the evening party kids do. They actually are grateful for the rides.
Which is why it's usually so saturated with drones. UTC and UCSD are usually short rides. college kids late to class = cancel, they will give awful ratings. another driver claims its because Asians are terrible raters and UCSD is like 85% Asian so he might have a point. THey are also smart enough to wait out the surge usually so if they have to take a surge they are all pissy about it. I generally drive thru that area offline. unless its plus 3x surge. The cove is fine if you want to drive all the way back there, takes for ever, often traffic. only work if I drop there or I;m in the area and it hits 4x.

#5 ·
Thanks for the nice post OP.

THe surges are fast nowadays, ubers got their fingers on the dial. You made the right move, wait it out for the better ride if its high or going up. You might not always score but that 2.3x is always the better option.

Sometimes the bar eats you, sometimes you eat the bar.

I dropped into a 2.5x last night got a couple sub 2x NOPE not gonna do it.
I probably should have taken the the 2.1x but it was 13 minutes away. meh

Which is why it's usually so saturated with drones. UTC and UCSD are usually short rides. college kids late to class = cancel, they will give awful ratings. another driver claims its because Asians are terrible raters and UCSD is like 85% Asian so he might have a point. THey are also smart enough to wait out the surge usually so if they have to take a surge they are all pissy about it. I generally drive thru that area offline. unless its plus 3x surge. The cove is fine if you want to drive all the way back there, takes for ever, often traffic. only work if I drop there or I;m in the area and it hits 4x.
Your experience driving UCSD area is far different than mine, probably because of the time of day.

I usually work evenings/nights.

Sure, there are plenty of short campus trips, but there are also plenty of trips
down to the Chinese restaurants in Clairemont. The nice thing is, once you get down there,
there is usually a trip back to UCSD if you hang out for a bit.

There's been times when I've done 3-4 round trips.

I find the Chinese students/pax to be VERY good raters, and not at all opposed to a
surge as you say.

Some of my favorite pax - along with Indians. Chinese and Indian pax are ALWAYS 100%
respectful, and usually very friendly as well. I have over 3000 rides, so I have a pretty
good sample base to draw from, and I don't think I have ever had ONE Chinese or
Indian pax that acted snobby or entitled.

Not ONE.

#7 ·
After picking a GANG of tomatoes in the garden I noticed my hood was firing. I dropped in on a 3.2X so I was late for sure. Wipeout! about 4 other cars blinked on within a minute and it was on the down slide. I yelled "Don't make me back paddle you BRO" as I opted out at 1.8x, not worth the skips.

Sometimes you ride the wave, sometimes the wave rides you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.