Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

What's more dangerous?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,867 Posts
More miles on the road means more risk of injury or death from a car crash. Driving passengers is way more risky because the risk from other drivers is even higher than risk from passengers/deliveries, and passenger drop-offs mean more miles and more variety and less choice in routes.

It depends where you drive, of course, but in most parts of the country you are more at risk from driving more miles than from bad actors.

· Registered
6,867 Posts
People pointed out the dangers of being on the road longer with driving uber but my friend and I each averaged about $1.25 for every 1 mile. The biggest difference was his average $ per hour was about $8 less with DD.

If people are using the same amount of miles to earn their daily goal of $100, then driving is no more dangerous when it comes to car accidents.
I think a lot of people may get more money per mile while delivering, even if they earn less money per hour compared to rideshare. Risk while driving increases per mile, on average. Risk while working with the public increases per hour (whether driving, delivering, retailing, serving, or policing).

It's hard to calculate risks except by aggregating average risk over time (for all work) and average risk over distance (for driving, specifically).

Many non-gig jobs also have risk from driving with a commute by car. There's risk in all work. Driving passengers just happens to log more miles in a car than most other jobs, and that is one of the main factors that makes private transportation one of the riskiest occupations.

I think almost any rideshare gig pattern necessitates logging more miles per hour and more miles per dollar than almost any delivery gig. Maybe Amazon home delivery contractors log even more miles, but I think that is pretty dangerous compared to food delivery - lots of doors and lots of miles. 🚚

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.