Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

What's more dangerous?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Covid aside...

Is Delivery more dangerous then driving Uber 🤔?

Never done delivery service, however in the past did have a second job selling Comcast cable door to door. You can call me CableGalMkang 😋

We'd meet up in a suite and our "manager" would hand us a list of addresses to solicit. I wouldn't get through much of the list before the sun started to set. So I end up walking through neighborhoods when it got dark.

Now that was creepy. Especially homes with a lot of plants. I imagined critters or god forbid a snake popping out and biting me :eek:. Also dangers of being pulled in by a murderer :eek:. Its possible 🤷‍♀.

To me delivery seems much worse then driving a pax as you no longer have the security of your car.

· Banned
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Delivery by a long shot is more dangerous. When delivering it's easy to be lured into a secluded area and to be ambushed.

If customer answer the door with a shot gun. Tells you to step inside and close the door behind you, there is no recourse.

View attachment 448924
Exactly. Apartments are the worst. Especially if you have to pass by several front doors.

I had a debate about this with someone before I joined UP. They did DD and said they would never uber because it's too dangerous. They didn't like someone sitting behind them. Which is valid.

But exiting to an unfamiliar neighborhood and the number of potential risks just went up.

· Banned
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
People pointed out the dangers of being on the road longer with driving uber but my friend and I each averaged about $1.25 for every 1 mile. The biggest difference was his average $ per hour was about $8 less with DD.

If people are using the same amount of miles to earn their daily goal of $100, then driving is no more dangerous when it comes to car accidents.

· Banned
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think a lot of people may get more money per mile while delivering, even if they earn less money per hour compared to rideshare. Risk while driving increases per mile, on average. Risk while working with the public increases per hour (whether driving, delivering, retailing, serving, or policing).

It's hard to calculate risks except by aggregating average risk over time (for all work) and average risk over distance (for driving, specifically).

Many non-gig jobs also have risk from driving with a commute by car. There's risk in all work. Driving passengers just happens to log more miles in a car than most other jobs, and that is one of the main factors that makes private transportation one of the riskiest occupations.

I think almost any rideshare gig pattern necessitates logging more miles per hour and more miles per dollar than almost any delivery gig. Maybe Amazon home delivery contractors log even more miles, but I think that is pretty dangerous compared to food delivery - lots of doors and lots of miles. 🚚
Have you ever come face to face with someone that's hangry 🧐.

You're right so many factors to consider.

I sold cable mainly in downtown San Jose. There is nothing as disturbing as walking up to a home when it's dark, without the protection, comfort of your car. It was a long time ago but still remember images of certain neighborhoods that got really dark and creepy.

I quit after a few months ✌🏳. I would imagine the same uncertainties doing deliver after 6pm.

· Banned
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I found dogs and there owners more so to be a clear and present danger while I was doing Flex.
Yes! I've also seen a momma racoon and some of her babies near a door step :eek: . Now instead of 1 pax you're dealing with animals, people on the street, house full of people, hannibal lecter 🤷‍♀

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.