Uber Drivers Forum banner

What's more dangerous?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
10,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Covid aside...

Is Delivery more dangerous then driving Uber 🤔?

Never done delivery service, however in the past did have a second job selling Comcast cable door to door. You can call me CableGalMkang 😋

We'd meet up in a suite and our "manager" would hand us a list of addresses to solicit. I wouldn't get through much of the list before the sun started to set. So I end up walking through neighborhoods when it got dark.

Now that was creepy. Especially homes with a lot of plants. I imagined critters or god forbid a snake popping out and biting me :eek:. Also dangers of being pulled in by a murderer :eek:. Its possible 🤷‍♀.

To me delivery seems much worse then driving a pax as you no longer have the security of your car.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Delivery by a long shot is more dangerous. When delivering it's easy to be lured into a secluded area and to be ambushed.

If customer answer the door with a shot gun. Tells you to step inside and close the door behind you, there is no recourse.

Art Building Window Thigh Human leg

·
Banned
10,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Delivery by a long shot is more dangerous. When delivering it's easy to be lured into a secluded area and to be ambushed.

If customer answer the door with a shot gun. Tells you to step inside and close the door behind you, there is no recourse.

View attachment 448924
Exactly. Apartments are the worst. Especially if you have to pass by several front doors.

I had a debate about this with someone before I joined UP. They did DD and said they would never uber because it's too dangerous. They didn't like someone sitting behind them. Which is valid.

But exiting to an unfamiliar neighborhood and the number of potential risks just went up.

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
Food delivery and taxi services have traditionally been some of the highest risk occupations.

But between the two, I vote driving. Maybe food delivery puts you more at risk of robbery or abduction, but when you're driving it is really common to have someone extremely drunk or high on some drug that will flip like a switch and get angry.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I started Instacart yesterday and I tell you what, I think you can change my name to Instabrah.

Walking around Publix for a few and then picking up $15 or 20 every time. So much easier than Uber, hardly any miles on your car, and virtually every delivery is to those giant bougie ass houses. I guess because the service is quite expensive. Nobody is telling me this is more dangerous than Uber, lol. Seems way more lucrative too.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I started Instacart yesterday and I tell you what, I think you can change my name to Instabrah.

Walking around Publix for a few and then picking up $15 or 20 every time. So much easier than Uber, hardly any miles on your car, and virtually every delivery is to those giant bougie ass houses. I guess because the service is quite expensive. Nobody is telling me this is more dangerous than Uber, lol. Seems way more lucrative too.
It's called the "Honeymoon", enjoy it while it lasts.

·
Premium Member
17,082 Posts
I took this to mean virus wise and that would be with passengers. Most deliveries have touch less option. As a customer I don't even see the person doing the delivery any more. Perfect. :coolio:

Reactions: TCar and Mkang14

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Neither , statistically your more likely to be killed by a spouse or boyfriend / girlfriend , look it up , that’s a fact of life .

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
1st it always depends in the area you drive in. Jackson TN about 36,000 nice town it has it bad location but just don't except or cancel when you know where your heading to. Am part time Uber/Lyft driver been off a month today going to try Uber eats maybe a ride or two see how the day goes. Not expecting a lot but out of the house will be great

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
More miles on the road means more risk of injury or death from a car crash. Driving passengers is way more risky because the risk from other drivers is even higher than risk from passengers/deliveries, and passenger drop-offs mean more miles and more variety and less choice in routes.

It depends where you drive, of course, but in most parts of the country you are more at risk from driving more miles than from bad actors.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Covid aside...
This is a rare occasion that I read the opening post before replying. Otherwise I'd have assumed the question was CV related.

Like many things driving related. I think It depends on the area .

I've mostly driven in low crime areas, during daytime hours, and felt reasonably safe doing both. If I had to choose though, I probably feel a bit safer with delivery. Because there's minimal interaction with the customer.

In high crime areas, I'd probably feel safer driving pax rather than exiting the car and entering apt buildings etc. But I try to avoid those areas either way.

All this is based on my guesswork and feelings, and has no statistical backup data.

·
Banned
10,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
People pointed out the dangers of being on the road longer with driving uber but my friend and I each averaged about $1.25 for every 1 mile. The biggest difference was his average $ per hour was about $8 less with DD.

If people are using the same amount of miles to earn their daily goal of $100, then driving is no more dangerous when it comes to car accidents.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Exactly. Apartments are the worst. Especially if you have to pass by several front doors.

I had a debate about this with someone before I joined UP. They did DD and said they would never uber because it's too dangerous. They didn't like someone sitting behind them. Which is valid.

But exiting to an unfamiliar neighborhood and the number of potential risks just went up.
Today . You show up to the restaurant call them have them bring the food outside or use the drive through.
The drop off put the food on the door step knock hard and walk away .
Apartment buildings. Sorry you cant go inside this building . Call the customer if no answer text them and snap a pic of the food leave it outside of the building .
DD and GH are letting me do this here in Detroit . Co19 is here and its bad ! For normal safety not the damn virus i still have to think food delivery is safer . I Just set the food on the porch and knock and walk away how can you get safer then that ?
I Never waited for the customer to come take the bags from my hands .

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
People pointed out the dangers of being on the road longer with driving uber but my friend and I each averaged about $1.25 for every 1 mile. The biggest difference was his average $ per hour was about $8 less with DD.

If people are using the same amount of miles to earn their daily goal of $100, then driving is no more dangerous when it comes to car accidents.
I think a lot of people may get more money per mile while delivering, even if they earn less money per hour compared to rideshare. Risk while driving increases per mile, on average. Risk while working with the public increases per hour (whether driving, delivering, retailing, serving, or policing).

It's hard to calculate risks except by aggregating average risk over time (for all work) and average risk over distance (for driving, specifically).

Many non-gig jobs also have risk from driving with a commute by car. There's risk in all work. Driving passengers just happens to log more miles in a car than most other jobs, and that is one of the main factors that makes private transportation one of the riskiest occupations.

I think almost any rideshare gig pattern necessitates logging more miles per hour and more miles per dollar than almost any delivery gig. Maybe Amazon home delivery contractors log even more miles, but I think that is pretty dangerous compared to food delivery - lots of doors and lots of miles. 🚚

1 - 20 of 57 Posts