Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...t-news-draft-order/126vy9tmuoux21jq6cc3uf9md6

Round 1:
23. New York Yankees: C Anthony Seigler, Cartersville (Ga.) High
25. Arizona Diamondbacks: SS Matt McClain, Beckman High (Tustin, Calif.) (mispelled MClain on the prospects list below)...
26. Boston Red Sox: 3B Tristan Casas, American Heritage School (Plantation, Fla.)
Competitive Balance Round A:
39. Arizona Diamondbacks:
OF Jake McCarthy, Virginia

Round 2:
61. New York Yankees: C Josh Breaux, McLennan CC (TX)
63. Arizona Diamondbacks: CF Alek Thomas, Mt. Carmel HS (Ill.)
64. Boston Red Sox: OF Nick Decker, Seneca HS (N.J.)

Round 3:
97. New York Yankees: OF Ryder Green, Karns HS (TN)
99. Arizona Diamondbacks: RHP Jackson Goddard, Kansas
100. Boston Red Sox: RHP Durbin Feltman, TCU

Round 4:
127. New York Yankees: RHS Franklin German, U North Florida
129. Arizona Diamondbacks: RHP Ryan Weiss, Wright State University
130. Boston Red Sox: C Kole Cottam, Kentucky

Round 5:
157. New York Yankees: CF Brandon Lockridge, Troy University
159. Arizona Diamondbacks: RHP Matt Mercer, Oregon
160. Boston Red Sox: RHP Thad Ward, Central Florida

Two observations:
1) All three teams went after the nationally ranked high school talent (or college committed talent) before the graduating college talent, especially in the first two rounds.

2) Both the Red Sox and the Yankees went after raw power (offense) with the H.S.; the Diamondbacks seemed to have gone after instinct (defense).

Promising picks by all three teams.

You can check out the HS talent reports here: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but what I've heard regarding the MLB draft is that HS players are selected based on potential, they are young enough that there is some expectation they will get better and develop by coming up through the minor leagues.

College players, on the other hand, are selected based on what they are now, the prevailing thought is that a college player is what he is and there is probably not going to be much more development. Also...some good college hitters struggle with the transition to wood bats.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't aware of HS players being drafted myself until this draft. What caught my eye was seeing 16 of the first 30 players this year being drafted straight out of high school instead of college. Apparently baseball's farm system is good enough these days that high school players will skip college and go directly to MLB if drafted, like Mookie Betts, Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Jon Lester, etc., did. Those high school players mentioned above seemed to have already committed to a college, when they got drafted.

There are specialized high schools that can prep a player for the draft, or a college scholarship. Here just a sample of names of baseball stars who were drafted straight out of high school: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/TWsOih...hool-mlb-draft-picks-who-became-all-stars.htm (Some impressive names on that list).

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
How you like that John Jay trade ST5?
Jay is a consistent 290 switch hitter that nearly always makes contact with the ball. I can't tell you how many scoring opportunities the D-Backs have blown with less than 2 outs because of striking out. An outfielder that can play all three positions and a min salary with bonuses based on performance. With Souza (not much anyway) and Pollock out this might help the worst hitting team in the majors. Jay should be a good fit for our depleted outfield.

I just have a sneaky feeling that all the D-Back hitters will snap out of the team slump at the same time. Thank the good Lord for some really good pitching or we would be much worse.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Jay is a consistent 290 switch hitter that nearly always makes contact with the ball. I can't tell you how many scoring opportunities the D-Backs have blown with less than 2 outs because of striking out. An outfielder that can play all three positions and a min salary with bonuses based on performance. With Souza (not much anyway) and Pollock out this might help the worst hitting team in the majors. Jay should be a good fit for our depleted outfield.

I just have a sneaky feeling that all the D-Back hitters will snap out of the team slump at the same time. Thank the good Lord for some really good pitching or we would be much worse.
I think he is definitely a good player. Time to step up and do some damage. Playoffs this year is looking promising!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts