Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure y'all ha e been following this back and forth with Uber and MIT after a working group at the University posted a study that stated Uber/Lyft drivers average $3.31/hour.

After vehement denials and attacks by various Uber Execs the MIT Professor in charge agreed to use the data that Uber said SHOULD have been used originally. And he came back with $approx $8-10/hour average. Which is still well under the $15 minimum wage

https://gizmodo.com/uber-and-lyft-have-a-hot-new-idea-for-screwing-over-cit-1822661060

·
Premium Member
23,282 Posts
Wrong link...you used the one from your SDC post. I wanna see the MIT one! lol

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm sure y'all ha e been following this back and forth with Uber and MIT after a working group at the University posted a study that stated Uber/Lyft drivers average $3.31/hour.

After vehement denials and attacks by various Uber Execs the MIT Professor in charge agreed to use the data that Uber said SHOULD have been used originally. And he came back with $approx $8-10/hour average. Which is still well under the $15 minimum wage
https://gizmodo.com/uber-and-lyft-have-a-hot-new-idea-for-screwing-over-cit-1822661060
Minimum wage is $7.25 (national) varies a lot by region.

$15 hour is rare (Seattle), Los Angeles it's 12.

·
Banned
4,495 Posts

They better hope MIT doesn't come here looking for a new data set. I have excellent records that would show in my case their original $3.37/Hour after expenses before taxes was very very accurate.

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Wow, nice uber gets mit math wizards to change a study they dont like using spoon fed data,

Breaking news, recent hiring ban on MIT grads suddenly lifted by Uber, or Uber Donates a kazillion dollars to MITs new technologies dept.
I think this is a spot-on assessment. Here you have A top technology company that feels there in a bargaining position of Power with a top technology educator. Publish what we want you to, or you won't get paying jobs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
New CEO of Uber is a smug character. Disputing initial findings with an insult is something that Trump would do.
A similar behavior by Kalanick, when he had insulted a driver who had smartly caught it on video, was one of the reasons that cost him the CEO seat. Here it is a very blunt insult, which is basically the same narrative that was coming from Kalanick. It is a shame that the MIT tolerated this!

Uber simply doesn't want to hear how badly they exploit drivers to sustain their unsustainable business. With the upcoming IPO, investors should be all over this.

Actually, this is great material for Michael Moore, Mark Achbar and Jennifer Abbott to shoot "The Corporation 2.0: How Gig Economy Giants Screw Ordinary People" documentary.

Seriously, we should pass to these influential advocates this information and stories about people who lost their jobs, savings, health and lives, after they had naively believed and drove for Uber and Lyft, without proper compensation, car, health, life insurance, sick days, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts