Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a minor ding on my right front bumper that will require 3 lost days of wages at repair shop. Other car was at fault. Their insurance company adjuster is stating they will not pay for lost wages while in repair because Uber drivers do not have commercial vehicles. Is this accurate? I drive Uber X.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do you have commercial insurance or rideshare insurance?
I had my Uber app on with an Uber passenger in the car at the time of accident. So technically, Uber's insurance was in effect right?

Uber ( Progressive ) filed the claim on my behalf. I don't have separate commercial insurance. I only do Uber X.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Three days lost wages? You mean three days lost profits.

That's what Emergency Funds are for.

Three days profits is not likely worth hiring an attorney for, unless you already have one engaged for another purpose, and you can get them to write a demand letter on your behalf. Odds are, that letter will be ignored, though. Sometimes, you get lucky and the other party writes you a check out of fear, when they get a demand letter. That means they don't know much, and have an irrational fear of courts, collection agents, etc. A person of means will laugh at you.

A good lawyer is going to ask for a retainer to initiate a tort, and that can easily be north of $5,000. If they ask for less, they probably aren't any good (read: desperate, probably late on their own mortgage), and they expect to lose, so they just take your money and go through the motions. You will find they are slow to return your phone calls. Or they just don't return them at all. When they write you a letter to update you, you will pay for that letter out of your own retainer. Fun, fun.

You have alternatives to lawyers and nuisance insurance claims:

https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/filing-in-small-claims-court

https://www.dallascounty.org/government/jpcourts/3-1/smallclaims.php

I've been on both sides of this equation (getting sued is never fun, but always a learning experience). I've negotiated out of paying full boat, before anyone had a judgement against me, and I've collected from people who insisted they would never pay me what they most certainly owed.

This is where math matters. How much time are you willing to devote to force someone to reimburse you for three days lost profits?

·
Banned
422 Posts
Had a minor ding on my right front bumper that will require 3 lost days of wages at repair shop. Other car was at fault. Their insurance company adjuster is stating they will not pay for lost wages while in repair because Uber drivers do not have commercial vehicles. Is this accurate? I drive Uber X.
Your mistake was not getting out of the car clutching your neck, insisting on a ride in an ambulance, and calling a personal injury attorney. You could have been looking at a decent pay day. Now you're left holding your dick with 3 days lost profits.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The other guy's insurance should pay for a rental car. Happened to me last summer and I drove the rental car to do Uber. Of course I do Uber Eats, you probably have to let Uber know if you are driving a different car if you take PAXs.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Similar situation happened to me a year ago Christmas. I was rear ended by a woman without a pax in the car. The woman's insurance co. paid me for full repairs, a rental car and, and one weeks (the time my car was in the body shop) income based on an average daily income over one year.
I was very satisfied.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Similar situation happened to me a year ago Christmas. I was rear ended by a woman without a pax in the car. The woman's insurance co. paid me for full repairs, a rental car and, and one weeks (the time my car was in the body shop) income based on an average daily income over one year.
I was very satisfied.
libingbing I had my car totaled when a guy ran a red light a year ago. His insurance paid the same thing stated in the above reply. 3 days profits is not much but his insurance should compensate you for time and trouble along with lost wages. It's likely to be only a couple hundred dollars and that is well within an adjusters discretion to pay for medical or "misc" damages.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.