Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, the worse Saturday night I've seen for a long time, averaging less than $30/hr. Did it come better after midnight? I knocked off, minimal surges at the usual times after 10:30pm didn't bode well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
very accurate prediction HD !
Yeah I made $500 on Sunday. Jeez, isn't Uber great? All you people reading this wondering if it's worthwhile to drive Uber come aboard! You'll make a fortune! But first of all, make sure you ask me for an "invite"!

Now, I'm wondering how many "likes" I get for this post.......anyone?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yeah I made $500 on Sunday. Jeez, isn't Uber great? All you people reading this wondering if it's worthwhile to drive Uber come aboard! You'll make a fortune! But first of all, make sure you ask me for an "invite"!

If you made $500 last Sunday it was because it was a long weekend and so you should. Everybody else is enjoying themselves with their friends and families and your out there working so you deserve to make a decent income.

T

To give you some perspective my wife is a humble nurse and over the recent long weekend she worked night shift which is a 10 hour shift and with penalty rates she was on $120/hour plus she gets an RDO thrown in as well. Some of her benefits seem pretty good but it's only because of a strong nursing union that have fought hard to be treated reasonably over the years.
Don't ever sell yourself short. You deserve to make a good liveable income for your efforts so don't ever allow someone such as uber to abuse the relationship. Any shifts where you are not getting paid fairly just say no, go home and only work the hours that you do get paid well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Would have made $40 an hour picking up glasses in a pub or club on that same night. More if you were barperson with tips.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you made $500 last Sunday it was because it was a long weekend and so you should. Everybody else is enjoying themselves with their friends and families and your out there working so you deserve to make a decent income.

T

To give you some perspective my wife is a humble nurse and over the recent long weekend she worked night shift which is a 10 hour shift and with penalty rates she was on $120/hour plus she gets an RDO thrown in as well. Some of her benefits seem pretty good but it's only because of a strong nursing union that have fought hard to be treated reasonably over the years.
Don't ever sell yourself short. You deserve to make a good liveable income for your efforts so don't ever allow someone such as uber to abuse the relationship. Any shifts where you are not getting paid fairly just say no, go home and only work the hours that you do get paid well.
Potsy you would make a good male nurse, Why don't you organize a stand against Uber. ISO being a back seat driver. I can help you if needed

Always like that on a long weekend. The real action will be tonight.
Charge of the Uber Brigade. Here we come

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
Yeah I made $500 on Sunday. Jeez, isn't Uber great?
Half the problem is that Uber, and people like you. keep perpetuating the Uber scam to suck in new naive victims. You always like to quote gross earnings to mislead others into thinking how good it is. You are well aware that there are significant costs involved reducing your net (but before income tax) to about 40-50% of the gross earnings. SO WHY DO YOU INSIST ON FOOLING PEOPLE ? I can understand Uber doing it, but not drivers who have driven for a while.

It's been posted before ad nauseum, and I apologise for that, but let's refresh the newbies about this (the figures from are from USA, but the same principles are involved here in Oz because Uber is carrying out the same Scam everywhere).

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
There are no money in base rates
1 - referrals are the only way in making money (providing you are on the verge of quitting)
2 - Reject base fares and do surge only.

I don't drive much these days, but I woke up 4AM to check on surge and must of been like 50 cars outside the club ready to take those pax home on base.

What a disgrace

·
Registered
238 Posts

T

Look, sorry, I didn't really make $500 on the Sunday. I just wanted to get a reaction. But I must say I DID make far more than $14 an hour but not the $40 an hour bartenders would have made.

Half the problem is that Uber, and people like you. keep perpetuating the Uber scam to suck in new naive victims. You always like to quote gross earnings to mislead others into thinking how good it is. You are well aware that there are significant costs involved reducing your net (but before income tax) to about 40-50% of the gross earnings. SO WHY DO YOU INSIST ON FOOLING PEOPLE ? I can understand Uber doing it, but not drivers who have driven for a while.
40-50% of gross earnings? So someone grossing $2500 a week is paying $1000-$1250 in costs?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Look, sorry, I didn't really make $500 on the Sunday. I just wanted to get a reaction. But I must say I DID make far more than $14 an hour but not the $40 an hour bartenders would have made.

40-50% of gross earnings? So someone grossing $2500 a week is paying $1000-$1250 in costs?
Mate...

$1 Revenue

10c fuel
25c uber
10c dpn and other
5c left over
10c fuel

100-10-25-10-15=40

40/100 = 40% of gross earnings

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ohhh and that other 1 cent GST that UberNV doesn't pay that the drivers have to pay instead.
I thought that was 1.82 - 2.27 cents instead, depending on your uber's cut.

We are paying GST for the portion of revenue that Uber is supposed to pay, right?
Is that portion legitimately qualified as an input tax credit? ie - Are we absolutely sure that we can claim it against the GST for the revenue?

Note:
- Logic says that we can only claim a $X as input tax credit when that $X is paid by other business entity to the ATO.
- As far as I am aware, Uber BV did not and does not seem to pay GST to AU government.
- Searches proved that Uber has got an ABN. However, Uber does not quote that ABN on our Partner's Tax Invoice.
- It also does not specify GST portion of the Uber Fees on the supposed Tax Invoice.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I thought that was 1.82 - 2.27 cents instead, depending on your uber's cut.

We are paying GST for the portion of revenue that Uber is supposed to pay, right?
Is that portion legitimately qualified as an input tax credit? ie - Are we absolutely sure that we can claim it against the GST for the revenue?

Note:
- Logic says that we can only claim a $X as input tax credit when that $X is paid by other business entity to the ATO.
- As far as I am aware, Uber BV did not and does not seem to pay GST to AU government.
- Searches proved that Uber has got an ABN. However, Uber does not quote that ABN on our Partner's Tax Invoice.
- It also does not specify GST portion of the Uber Fees on the supposed Tax Invoice.
I've never taken any of their invoices seriously, however that raises a good point.
As far as I understand, if your invoice is a "tax invoice" - you are registered for GST. In fact, this morning, I rejected a supplier at work for quoting tax invoice and not including GST. However you are entitled to issue tax invoices as long as it clearly says GST is not charged, Uber's does not.

Therefore all of Uber's "tax invoices" are actually complete rubbish - and the ATO could have grounds to rejecting them?

UberDriverAU - you seem to be a bit of a guru and spend your day going through what the ATO accepts. Thoughts?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mate...

$1 Revenue

10c fuel
25c uber
10c dpn and other
5c left over
10c fuel

100-10-25-10-15=40

40/100 = 40% of gross earnings
We obviously aren't talking about the same definition of "gross earnings". You're including Uber's cut; I'm not. When I see my "earnings" on the App it doesn't include the Uber fee. So if you take out the 20-25% Uber fee you're not paying an additional 40-50% in costs.

You're quick aren't you ! :rolleyes:
Not really. It actually took me twenty minutes to do the calculation.

·
Premium Member
4,865 Posts
I've never taken any of their invoices seriously, however that raises a good point.
As far as I understand, if your invoice is a "tax invoice" - you are registered for GST. In fact, this morning, I rejected a supplier at work for quoting tax invoice and not including GST. However you are entitled to issue tax invoices as long as it clearly says GST is not charged, Uber's does not.

Therefore all of Uber's "tax invoices" are actually complete rubbish - and the ATO could have grounds to rejecting them?

UberDriverAU - you seem to be a bit of a guru and spend your day going through what the ATO accepts. Thoughts?
You can only issue a "tax invoice" if you are registered for GST, otherwise you issue an "invoice". I'm pretty sure the documents supplied by Uber only say "invoice" on them. Uber BV isn't registered for GST, and isn't required to be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can only issue a "tax invoice" if you are registered for GST, otherwise you issue an "invoice". I'm pretty sure the documents supplied by Uber only say "invoice" on them. Uber BV isn't registered for GST, and isn't required to be.
Uber BV blatantly placed a title "Tax Invoice" on those documents, albeit they were lacking what required to be of complying tax invoices (no ABN and no mention of GST). They are, in accounting point of view, useless rubbish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts