Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Now that Tempe has kicked out all the homeless boy do the sidewalks look empty!
Do they have that problem down there? You know it's spreading like wildfire throughout the valley. I saw a guy with a sign in the median of Mayo and Scottsdale Rd. They're all over the Desert Ridge area. A Phoenix cop told me that there is a homeless camp under the bridge that goes over the wash on 56th St and Deer Valley. So it looks like The Blue Martini will become a shelter soon.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But where did they go?
Good question. Most were kids or "slackers" that would panhandle constantly. Pressure from Mill ave merchants forced City of Tempe to institute an ordinance prohibiting laying on sidewalks. The place looks empty now. But yeah that's a good question where they all went. It seemed like they all "networked" knew each other and kept an eye out for one another.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Do they have that problem down there? You know it's spreading like wildfire throughout the valley. I saw a guy with a sign in the median of Mayo and Scottsdale Rd. They're all over the Desert Ridge area. A Phoenix cop told me that there is a homeless camp under the bridge that goes over the wash on 56th St and Deer Valley. So it looks like The Blue Martini will become a shelter soon.
A few months back I saw two guys on the corner of Scottsdale and Mayo. One guy was a paid sign spinner for a furniture store, and the other guy had a "homeless, please help" sign.

To this day I still wonder which guy made more money that day.

·
Registered
519 Posts
A few months back I saw two guys on the corner of Scottsdale and Mayo. One guy was a paid sign spinner for a furniture store, and the other guy had a "homeless, please help" sign.

To this day I still wonder which guy made more money that day.
Judging by the amount of money I see these guys making at the 101 off-ramps here in the southeast valley, I bet they make a lot. I saw a guy the other day that was just running from car to car during a red light, he had to have made $10 in those two minutes alone. There's no shortage of charitable bleeding hearts out here willing to donate to panhandlers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Judging by the amount of money I see these guys making at the 101 off-ramps here in the southeast valley, I bet they make a lot. I saw a guy the other day that was just running from car to car during a red light, he had to have made $10 in those two minutes alone. There's no shortage of charitable bleeding hearts out here willing to donate to panhandlers.
Yet they won't tip their uber driver!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have gotten to know a Frwy panhandler seeing him during Veyo runs handing him bottled water at different times. He's always at the same spot. Ran into him once at a Circle K nearby and we both recognized each other. Paid for his big gulp and we walked outside. Began to chat and asked him straight up how much he made daily. He said it really varied but around 100 bucks. Sometimes more or less. For awhile he had a lady during the morning commute hand him 20 bucks every time. He shared that most people donate 1 or 2 dollars and that 90% of the time they're blue collar working class folks driving older cars.
To me he seems pretty happy, smart, fairly athletic looking and if wasn't for the fact that he hasn't showered for awhile and his clothes are all torn up he would probably do pretty well with the ladies.
It makes you wonder why someone like this doesn't just get a job and find a place to live. Perhaps it's circumstantial or maybe he just prefers being homeless?...zero responsibilities, no bills to pay, no car payments, no taxes.....the ultimate freedom?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have gotten to know a Frwy panhandler seeing him during Veyo runs handing him bottled water at different times. He's always at the same spot. Ran into him once at a Circle K nearby and we both recognized each other. Paid for his big gulp and we walked outside. Began to chat and asked him straight up how much he made daily. He said it really varied but around 100 bucks. Sometimes more or less. For awhile he had a lady during the morning commute hand him 20 bucks every time. He shared that most people donate 1 or 2 dollars and that 90% of the time they're blue collar working class folks driving older cars.
To me he seems pretty happy, smart, fairly athletic looking and if wasn't for the fact that he hasn't showered for awhile and his clothes are all torn up he would probably do pretty well with the ladies.
It makes you wonder why someone like this doesn't just get a job and find a place to live. Perhaps it's circumstantial or maybe he just prefers being homeless?...zero responsibilities, no bills to pay, no car payments, no taxes.....the ultimate freedom?
It's tempting.
Tax free....
Mighty tempting.
(Now Thinking of unexpected, funny message for my sign..........)
:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts