Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I suggest on the Uber App to detect whether if a location is a restricted area (military, state, or US Gov't Property).

When the app detects a restricted area (Google can detect), it can ask If the rider has access to the restricted area. When the rider clicks "Yes," the app can direct the rider to "Military" and easily drive through the entry after showing proper ID.

Twice I was dropped off at the gate of a military base, walk to my destination, and was tardy. I learned later that I had the option to choose an Uber for the military by scrolling down in the app.

By having this detection of the restricted area and directing the rider to the military ride option, I could have been on time to my appointments. This modification can make it easier for others who have access to restricted areas and be on time.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
May I suggest on the Uber App to detect whether if a location is a restricted area (military, state, or US Gov't Property).

When the app detects a restricted area (Google can detect), it can ask If the rider has access to the restricted area. When the rider clicks "Yes," the app can direct the rider to "Military" and easily drive through the entry after showing proper ID.

Twice I was dropped off at the gate of a military base, walk to my destination, and was tardy. I learned later that I had the option to choose an Uber for the military by scrolling down in the app.

By having this detection of the restricted area and directing the rider to the military ride option, I could have been on time to my appointments. This modification can make it easier for others who have access to restricted areas and be on time.
I don't understand what you're saying at all. Come again?

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts

Without a permit, Uber drivers and other civilians are required to go thru a time-consuming background check at the guard shack before they're allowed to enter a military base.

I learned that the hard way when I had a package to deliver to a military base and it took more than 20 minutes before I was allowed into the base. Never again.

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts

By suggesting that, you're asking Uber to bring high-tech programmers into their fold, when they're just in the transportation business.

Oh... wait... what am I saying?! :rolleyes:

Reactions: itendstonight

·
26,770 Posts
I learned that the hard way when I had a package to deliver to a military base and it took more than 20 minutes before I was allowed into the base. Never again.
When these facilities started this, we went to the Taxucab Commission to complain about this. For once, they actually listened to us. They passed a rule that stated that we could refuse to go onto certain facilities that had these procedures.

In our market, in addition to the military bases, we have NIH and that U.S. Government installation on New Hampshire Avenue in Maryland that used to be the NOL. If I get a customer who wants to go to any of those places, I let him know that he gets out at the front gate. I did once get a ping that turned out to be on facility at NIH. I suspect that he dropped the stick off-facility deliberately. He called me and told me the building number at NIH. I acknowledged him, hung up, went to where the stick was. He called me again about forty-five seconds before the timer expired. I just said "right" and hung up. The timer expired, I shuffled him. I do not think that he expected to get shuffled.

Reactions: MHR

·
Premium Member
7,755 Posts
I have 2 near me and they are a "no go" for me. At the US Military Academy they won't even process you at the gate anymore. You get directed to a visitors center about a mile down the road where you have to get processed. No way, takes 40 minutes. I will only do pick up/drop off at the gate. Food delivery drop off at gate only.

·
Premium Member
19,705 Posts
Why not drop packages, or whatever at the doorstep. Cancel if pax not at the gate... furthermore... if that is not possible becuase of distance from gate to the pick up location, then "fool me once...." applies.. if you work the market you should know where the ping comes from and just dont accept it.

I have 2 near me and they are a "no go" for me. At the US Military Academy they won't even process you at the gate anymore. You get directed to a visitors center about a mile down the road where you have to get processed. No way, takes 40 minutes. I will only do pick up/drop off at the gate. Food delivery drop off at gate only.
^^^^^^^^ exactly. Let them get it themselves from the gate.

·
Premium Member
7,478 Posts
You are expecting to be paired with an Uber driver that also has base access? That seems unlikely, especially considering how many people on base are probably not even eligible to drive in the city since they are residents of other states.

Seems like you need to call an Uber early so you can get to where you need to go on time by walking from the gate.

I have occasionally been allowed onto military bases, and on other occasions forbidden from entering military bases, forcing the passenger to walk. Not sure why sometimes they allow entry and other times not.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Ask the driver if they have a dbids permit or access card? If they don't that means they cannot get on to base.

They also can get on if they hold a military card. However this is found on on a lot of bases due to the fact of the insurance that's needed to cover anything that could happen.

I've been doing the military base for almost three years now with a dbids. And that's the only way that I know of that you can get on unless you are a military member.

·
Premium Member
65,416 Posts

Leave Earlier.

Ask the driver if they have a dbids permit or access card? If they don't that means they cannot get on to base.

They also can get on if they hold a military card. However this is found on on a lot of bases due to the fact of the insurance that's needed to cover anything that could happen.

I've been doing the military base for almost three years now with a dbids. And that's the only way that I know of that you can get on unless you are a military member.
With Covid
Not sure if a card will get you on base.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
They have not closed the two bases here 2 Taxi Traffic yet. And from what I understand they're not going to either.

Matter of fact just got off the base 35 minutes ago and dropped one out to the airport going back to Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

I can get onto any military base in North America and the commonwealth with my MilID I've done it a few times whilst travelling. They don't even question me, just waive me through. It's a major security flaw. I could be up to anything!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts