Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The story is about taxi drivers blocking one of the main routes to the Melbourne airport in protest of legalisation of uber....
PS, why don't the cops start fining them for obstructing traffic? That will sort it out pretty quickly...
Why can't people protest without hurting other people? Just because you have a complaint to air, doesn't mean you should be so selfish and make other people suffer too!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does it really help though, if it happened in Sydney it would make riders want Uber more and the drivers would earn equal if not abit more money due to being stuck in traffic longer plus surge potential due to more people using Uber > Taxi during the protest

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That's why it's called protest, it can't be done in closed room.
Of course, but normally most protests are just a show of numbers, eg, get 10,000 people toshow up outside parliament house (or whatever government building, or even some park/etc) and show a bunch of signs, call out some slogans, and get the media to show it on the news. The more people that are actually involved, then the more the government will take notice. In this case, it was either "Hundreds of taxis" or "dozens of taxis" (from the same article above), in any case, it seems to be a drop in the bucket, and most likely that is why nobody will bother talking to them. I hope for the Uber Melbourne drivers sake, the government doesn't pander to the taxi industry, and does go ahead and de-regulate the industry.
(PS, from the Melbourne drivers that keep posting in the sydney group, I also think that Uber Melbourne needs to cleanse their crappy drivers, or else it will destroy the brand, and their own livelihood)...

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
It is important that they protest. I will kindly remind the forum that my worst Cab experience in the World ... yes the world happened at Federation Square in Melbourne at the rank, a few years ago and let me say I got in a car with one angry bloke who I would be surprised was still in business. the second I took , the driver got me to follow the google map and guide me while he spoke to his brother in Somalia on skype. He told me that...

·
Premium Member
11,059 Posts
Sydney taxis have already protested before Uber was legalised....

The horse has bolted, there is no turning back now....

Of course the taxi operators will still whinge about lack of compensation....

All the taxi associations could not get together unitedly to make their case to government...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I really like this new law: http://www.cscmediagroupus.com/2017...llowing-people-hit-protesters-blocking-roads/
Apparently a few states are actually legalising running over protesters... Even though this melbourne mob were in cars, it still sounds like a great idea :)
PS, maybe the reason nobody does anything about the taxi protests is because everybody already knows that the taxi's have enjoyed a monopoly for far too long, and the only people interested in preserving that are the taxi drivers themselves. In any case, endangering the public, costing business and individuals time and money, just so you can have a whinge is NOT the right way, it doesn't build rapport or support or sympathy from anyone. Kind of like hijacking a plane and demanding that the government negotiate properly with you, it is destructive behaviour (IMHO).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts