Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone be interested in an informal meet and greet? This is a great forum for Houston drivers and I sense a lot of us are frustrated by the same things. Why haven't we protested and taken advantage of media attention? With Houston's media being anti-Uber, we could really have a chance to be heard. Let's push back!!

Reactions: andaas and Txchick

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to meet and greet. Not necessarily to just complain. It does not have to be negative at all but I do think the real conversation about how we feel as drivers is overdue. Let's talk about it (good, bad and ugly) then maybe start organizing a plan to protest- via social media, interviews and directly with the Houston office. Now is a great time to capitalize on Uber's negative publicity in Houston.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would anyone be interested in an informal meet and greet? This is a great forum for Houston drivers and I sense a lot of us are frustrated by the same things. Why haven't we protested and taken advantage of media attention? With Houston's media being anti-Uber, we could really have a chance to be heard. Let's push back!!
I have noticed lately how powerful social media can be in getting the news out. There are networks for drivers that maybe we could tap into and get some help gaining steam here in Houston. Just a thought and probably easier/quicker than physically picketing the office. We could protest virtually but we would have to get organize to make a real impact.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Uber has a office on the 5th floor at 4306 Yoakum. This will be the best place to be noticed by Uber, without the press, or you can simply go to the "Office Hours". Grab a few extra signs and see if any drivers will stop by on their way in/out of office hours.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Big Whoop.... now they will not be 'forced' to take Uber X rides. Guess what guys you are still not getting tips through the app.

Quote from a UberBlack driver "Now I am forced to take cheap XL or even the dreaded ultimate cheapskate X customers in my Escalade or Denali. Are u kidding?" LOL I guess Uber X customers should shower (and genuflect) before they step inside an UberBlack.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Big Whoop.... now they will not be 'forced' to take Uber X rides. Guess what guys you are still not getting tips through the app.

Quote from a UberBlack driver "Now I am forced to take cheap XL or even the dreaded ultimate cheapskate X customers in my Escalade or Denali. Are u kidding?" LOL I guess Uber X customers should shower (and genuflect) before they step inside an UberBlack.
Haha, I wanted to post that same exact quote before you did.

Anyways, what I was laughing about, is that I have had a few riders claim to drive for Uber Black. I had no reason to not believe them since they were foreign. Also, they avoid the Inner Loop while going out. So how does that driver in the article explain those drivers riding x? I am pretty sure he has or will take an x, if he ever needs a ride.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Haha, I wanted to post that same exact quote before you did.

Anyways, what I was laughing about, is that I have had a few riders claim to drive for Uber Black. I had no reason to not believe them since they were foreign. Also, they avoid the Inner Loop while going out. So how does that driver in the article explain those drivers riding x? I am pretty sure he has or will take an x, if he ever needs a ride.
Did they tip?

Why would they not take x as a rider? They're not raking it in either anymore.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts

I'd feel the same way. Hell, I'm sick of them in my Kia.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Did they tip?

Why would they not take x as a rider? They're not raking it in either anymore.
HAHAHAHAHA....No, no tip.

Out of the riders to claim they driver for Uber. I have yet to receive a tip from any of them. Its understandable though. Money is hard to come by.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA....No, no tip.

Out of the riders to claim they driver for Uber. I have yet to receive a tip from any of them. Its understandable though. Money is hard to come by.
I have carried 5 or 6 uber drivers. Only one tipped. He got a 5. Others got 2s.

Sorry, you know what the ride cost and you know how much tips mean. If you can't afford a dollar on top of that $5 ride you can't afford the $5 ride on the first place.

Besides, if I'm dropping you off or picking you up at a bar/restaurant you have disposable income.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To the OP: would like to meet other drivers and talk.

To the post about the Uber Black driver: I guess you can be picky if this is your part time gig, I would think they would rather have a fare instead of dead time for a select or black. Or, I'm just talking out my ass since I haven't started yet.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
To the OP: would like to meet other drivers and talk.

To the post about the Uber Black driver: I guess you can be picky if this is your part time gig, I would think they would rather have a fare instead of dead time for a select or black. Or, I'm just talking out my ass since I haven't started yet.
With all due respect yes you are. Making less per mile than it costs to drive your car makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have carried 5 or 6 uber drivers. Only one tipped. He got a 5. Others got 2s.

Sorry, you know what the ride cost and you know how much tips mean. If you can't afford a dollar on top of that $5 ride you can't afford the $5 ride on the first place.

Besides, if I'm dropping you off or picking you up at a bar/restaurant you have disposable income.
Totally agree!
A so call driver that can't tip $1 or $2. But the young lady I pick up that is a waitress can. Hmmm yeah sounds cheap.

But also its not surprising. All my years in Houston I rarely have run into people that try to put out good karma.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With all due respect yes you are. Making less per mile than it costs to drive your car makes no sense.
There is a reason I put that last line there.

I get that I would lose some money on the fuel needed to run a few X's instead of a single Select. I just don't know if there are enough Select riders to justify sitting idle.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts

I get that I would lose some money on the fuel needed to run a few X's instead of a single Select. I just don't know if there are enough Select riders to justify sitting idle.
Isn't it better to do nothing and lose nothing than to take a trip that loses money? And you lumped select and black together. They are not the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Isn't it better to do nothing and lose nothing than to take a trip that loses money? And you lumped select and black together. They are not the same.
Not necessarily, it's a numbers game. If you don't make money that day because you held out for Selects, you have to work harder to make up the lose day. I don't know the average amount of Select calls per day, so maybe there is more demand for it than X or XL, which makes my comments invalid.

I know Black is more a limo service, which means paying for the commercial license and insurance, and a high end luxury sedan or SUV.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts

I've never had more than two Select calls in a single day, but I don't put in that many hours.

I'm going to start driving more next week and drive later now that I'm a little more confident and know the downtown area better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts