Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering moving to Saint Cloud for a job there, which would give me a very erratic, unstable schedule, but pay is good. So, I'd likely need to do something else on the side for income.

For 75cents a mile, that something else won't be Uber. One of you suggested Mears, but do they have a station in Saint Cloud?

What's the 411 on Mears anyway? I have the title to my own non-luxury sedan. Could I get my own commercial insurance and a new paint job, and work for Mears? What else would I need? I'd be working in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and possibly other counties.

Otherwise, how much is the daily charge to use an equivalent vehicle from the Mears' fleet?

Also, one issue is that I've never lived in the Orlando area, so I'm not familiar with the lay of the land, and where things are. Are there other taxi companies that would be more flexible to work with me despite my geographic ignorance?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Daily charge for a mears taxi varies based on which of umpteen assignment areas you pick up from as well as what time of the day you get it for

Winter park, east and west unincorporated orange county, the Sanford airport and Seminole county. (winter park Yellow, fairly easy to get)
Orange county, NO Disney WITH Orland0 international airport (yellow, harder to get)
Orange county, NO Disney WITHOUT Orlando international airport (city, kinda sorta hard to get when you want it)
Disney, Southern unincorporated orange county (Checker, easier to get)
Disney, southern unincorporated orange county Osceola county (Checker select, hard to get)
Winter park, The entirety of orange county, Seminole county, NO DISNEY, Osceola county, No hotel/theme park cab stands and no airport stands (Mears Ride, Very rarely available)
Wheelchair van that can work FREEKING everywhere (Yellow wheelchair, Unicorn)
wheelchair van that can work everywhere but the airport (city Wheelchair, never available)
Winter park, The entirety of orange county, Seminole county, NO DISNEY, Osceola county, Sanford Airport, (City Van, Almost never available for a shift)

Note that every vehicle that is a mears taxi is one of these.

That said the daily rate varies between $66 and $140 (66 is a POS crown vic at winter park 10 PM-10 AM, 140 is a yellow van)
Shifts are 12 hours long and start at , 5 AM, 6 AM, 9 AM, 10 AM , 5pm, 6 pm 9 PM and 10 PM

With Mears you use Mears' vehicle,
I also may have checker/checker select backwards. I cant remember.
Also some of these assignment areas may NEVER have a car available for a shift.

Reactions: TwoFiddyMile

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
IF you don't believe this insanity I bet a nickel that I can name what cab number it is based on where its picking up from.
In downtown or universal studios for example,
A mears cab will be 2-299, 801-999 or 1801-1899 (Rare for 1801-1899 to exist let alone be downtown)

At Disney however it will almost always be 301-699

And in the airport line they will ALWAYS be 2-299

1 - 3 of 3 Posts