Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When nearly the whole map is surging, and you only have to wait a few minutes for it to go from 1.5x to 3x, it seems like that's the best possible chance for drivers to understand that it's better to go offline for a few minutes until it surges higher. Maybe if it keeps on raining enough drivers will figure this out and make it a little better for all of us. Is that being too optimistic?

·
Registered
741 Posts
When nearly the whole map is surging, and you only have to wait a few minutes for it to go from 1.5x to 3x, it seems like that's the best possible chance for drivers to understand that it's better to go offline for a few minutes until it surges higher. Maybe if it keeps on raining enough drivers will figure this out and make it a little better for all of us. Is that being too optimistic?
I will usually go online around 1.7x. Any more and pax will wait out longer rides.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Depends on the area and if the pax are in a hurry. Also depends on how often they use Uber and if they figured out how to avoid the surge. Best I got yesterday was a 2.7x 20 miles to lax.
At first blush this sounds like a good ride but I've had it happen to me too many times where showing up to the death star means the end of your day. ESPECIALLY if you arrive there between 6:30 and 9:00am

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I will usually go online around 1.7x. Any more and pax will wait out longer rides.
Right on the nose, nostrils. When I see 5, 6, 7× surges I think 2 mile rides to their car. Or if they're smart, 2 mile ride to outside the surge area, then call a UberAnt for the 25 mile base rate ride home.

There is an exception to the rule. At events and airports pax will pay the higher surge

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Shhh duck....you're divulging too many relevant trade secrets

At first blush this sounds like a good ride but I've had it happen to me too many times where showing up to the death star means the end of your day. ESPECIALLY if you arrive there between 6:30 and 9:00am

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was almost perfect, a 2.7x 20 miles to lax, then a 2.3x immediately from lax to Sherman Oaks. Except that 2.3x was the Chinese guy who I couldn't find and Uber wouldn't let me contact, maybe he didn't have cell service in America.

But yeah, getting to Lax between 7:00 and 9am is the worst.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
It was almost perfect, a 2.7x 20 miles to lax, then a 2.3x immediately from lax to Sherman Oaks. Except that 2.3x was the Chinese guy who I couldn't find and Uber wouldn't let me contact, maybe he didn't have cell service in America.

But yeah, getting to Lax between 7:00 and 9am is the worst.
Bummer man!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I rely on the early morning surge airport drop off. It gets me out of the southbay and closer to the "westside" that seems to surge crazy all morning. If I get to the airport after 7:15 I have to make a crazy choice dead mile in traffic north on sepulveda or head south on sepulveda and boost.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I rely on the early morning surge airport drop off. It gets me out of the southbay and closer to the "westside" that seems to surge crazy all morning. If I get to the airport after 7:15 I have to make a crazy choice dead mile in traffic north on sepulveda or head south on sepulveda and boost.
Yup. The only direction your car will actually move is if you head east. Don't write it off either. There's lots of surges all along 105 fwy. I think it may be preferred than trying to follow the ant trail north because after a 7:15 drop you're probably looking realistically 45 minutes to get resituated in Brentwood. Culver City is an option too...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yup. The only direction your car will actually move is if you head east. Don't write it off either. There's lots of surges all along 105 fwy. I think it may be preferred than trying to follow the ant trail north because after a 7:15 drop you're probably looking realistically 45 minutes to get resituated in Brentwood. Culver City is an option too...
I see why you call it the "Deathstar"

But not all airport rides are created equal

Attachments

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Yeah....after 7am there's a shooort window to head south or east and put a few miles between yourself and the hotel pings....

But you won't get far

And if you're OC, you won't get back before 9

For us, it means the strangest thing: a 6am LAX run should be surged or classed to charge like three times as much as a 5am LAX run to be comparably useful

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.