Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Uber MD website

TNC License
As you may be aware, the state of Maryland created a permanent home for Uber earlier this year with the passage of legislation covering ridesharing apps. As part of that legislation, the Maryland Public Service Commission requires that all TNC drivers obtain a temporary license in order to conduct trips within Maryland.

We will submit your information to the Commission so they can review it and issue you a temporary license. This is a new process, so we do not know yet how long it will take the Public Service Commission to issue your temporary license once your application has been submitted.

You may conduct trips in Maryland while your application is pending.

Once the temporary license is issued, it will be valid for one year from the date that it is issued to you. Prior to the expiration date of the one-year temporary license, it will be necessary to obtain a permanent license from the Public Service Commission. We will communicate the procedures for obtaining a permanent license well in advance of that deadline.

The temporary license will be issued electronically. Once issued, license information must be in your possession whenever you are operating your vehicle for-hire. License information must be supplied to any enforcement personnel upon request.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you already have a TNC sticker from Virginia, do you also need this Maryland license to pick up in Maryland?
Or does it mean Virginia licensed drivers cannot pick up in Maryland anymore?
That would suck, since I drop-off in Maryland and don't want to have to drive all the way back with no more pickups.

But I do think this is what happens to cabbies. They can't pick up in a different state. That's why you see some taxicabs with TWO vehicle license plates (e.g. DC and VA). Do they also have dual driver's licenses? The language above is about "licenses", not "registrations".

???????

·
25,459 Posts
I have yet to see this e-Mail. I wonder if drivers will have to opt-out of Maryland the way that they did in Virginia. It is no big deal to me, as D.C. Residents now can purchase proper TNC insurance from Erie. I have done this, so I can accept the Maryland licence and do not care if they tell my insurance company, as Maryland would be telling Erie something that it already knows.

A few years back, Uber had some problems with Maryland. They resolved them with regard to Uber Black, but not with UberX. Uber does not offer taxis anywhere in Maryland. For some reason, be it administrative fiat, or whatever, Maryland, as a rule, decided that it would not bother TNC/UberX drivers. Now, it appears, Maryland has decided to enshrine TNCs legally.

If you already have a TNC sticker from Virginia, do you also need this Maryland license to pick up in Maryland?

But I do think this is what happens to cabbies. They can't pick up in a different state. That's why you see some taxicabs with TWO vehicle license plates (e.g. DC and VA). Do they also have dual driver's licenses?

???????
It is likely that you would need the licence in Maryland. In Virginia, they licence the vehicle. It appears that Maryland is going to licence the driver.

In the Washington Metropolitan Area, taxicabs from subscribing jurisdictions can pick up in another jurisdiction as long as :

1. They do so in response to a telephone call or previous arrangement. I assume that an electronic summons would be acceptable, as well.

The one jurisidiction in this area that does not subscribe to this agreement is Prince George's County, Maryland. Only PG taxis can pick up there and PG taxis are barred from picking up in any jurisdiction in the Washington Metropolitan Area. The PG drivers and companies honour that rule more in its breech than its keeping.

2. The trip terminates in their jurisdiction of licensure. This means that all of the trips to Alexandria, Fairfax and Woodbridge that Red Top does are illegal. National Airport is legal for Red Top, as that airport is within the confines of Arlington County.

The reason that you see dual licence plates on D.C. cabs is that the owner lives in either Virginia or Maryland. Those states require owners of those vehicles to licence them in their state of residence. Enforcement has, over the years, been inconsistent, but, of late, it has been vicious. A few years back, the drivers who resided in Fairfax County got into a squabble with that jurisdiction over that. The problem was that the cab insurers are not admitted in Virginia, so Virginia would not accept the D.C. Insurance for Virginia plates. The owners did not want to pay for two policies or for a D.C. Policy and the Virginia Uninsured Motorist Fee. Neither the County nor the Commonwealth would do anything to help the drivers. They now pay the D.C. policy and the Virginia Uninsured Motorist Fee. I am not sure what the Maryland drivers are doing.

Reactions: UberRalph

·
Registered
209 Posts
Md PsC governs pick ups and drop off in the state only. If you pu outside Md and drop in Md you are ok. The problem here is MD gets into all your business they will no doubt have some more insurance required and a big ass ugly sticker to put on your car . They kept trying to get me to participate in a test of this. I said no. Guess my Uber days are numbered in Md.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You don't drive "For Hire" vehicle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I deal with regulators in transport everyday if we gonna go there we can't be part time and drive for a dollar a mile. Period. My full time job operates SUVS airport transfer charge in this area is 225 -300 dollars. I don't know what uber SIV gets but it needs to match if you gotta jump through the same hoops

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sounds like the permanent one might be finger print and so on. Well are we tnc or for hire ? We are not treated as for hire so why all the regulations? Your car is insured and inspected, uber does a background. that should be good enough.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
This is the summary of the bill that was signed into law by Hogan on May 12 2015:
The law gives the PSC the right to regulate TNC as a common carrier, but creates a new classification to separate them from taxicab companies. TNC drivers will have to be licensed by the PSC, but this will be done through a more efficient electronic licensing system.

Under the new law, TNC will have a nine month trial period to do their own background checks while the PSC observes them to determine if they are sufficient. If not, the PSC can require TNC drivers to input their fingerprints into the system, Ferguson said.

The law also allows jurisdictions who collects taxes from taxi companies to collect 25 cents from each ride a TNC driver gives.

The page referenced by the OP does not exist anymore on Uber's MD site (http://www.uberpartnersmd.com/md-psc-test/). If you have another link to that page steriko please post it here. My take - after the trial period is over, all TNC drivers will need to be PSC-licensed and it will be done by Uber similar to their process in VA.

·
25,459 Posts
My take - after the trial period is over, all TNC drivers will need to be PSC-licensed and it will be done by Uber similar to their process in VA.
The dictates of my experience are such that I would be hard put to disagree with the quoted observation.

Reactions: waker81

·
Registered
209 Posts
Uber sent me messages on a few occasions asking me for permission to submit my info for the test. I refused. And I don't want to give them my finger prints either. As a Listened driver they already have my info cross check from there if they like. PSC is just collecting money for the state coffers. This has nothing to do with safety or security. Look at the taxi drivers. I know half of them are up to no good. And most are foreigners we know nothing about. Don't talk me to death about background checks.

·
25,459 Posts
Uber sent me messages on a few occasions asking me for permission to submit my info for the test.

PSC is just collecting money for the state coffers.
I never received one of those requests, but, as the D.C. Taxicab Commission already has my FBI fingerprint check, I suppose that I would not care too much if Maryland had it.

Is it not always all about the Benjamins?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have yet to see this e-Mail. I wonder if drivers will have to opt-out of Maryland the way that they did in Virginia. It is no big deal to me, as D.C. Residents now can purchase proper TNC insurance from Erie. I have done this, so I can accept the Maryland licence and do not care if they tell my insurance company, as Maryland would be telling Erie something that it already knows.

A few years back, Uber had some problems with Maryland. They resolved them with regard to Uber Black, but not with UberX. Uber does not offer taxis anywhere in Maryland. For some reason, be it administrative fiat, or whatever, Maryland, as a rule, decided that it would not bother TNC/UberX drivers. Now, it appears, Maryland has decided to enshrine TNCs legally.

It is likely that you would need the licence in Maryland. In Virginia, they licence the vehicle. It appears that Maryland is going to licence the driver.

In the Washington Metropolitan Area, taxicabs from subscribing jurisdictions can pick up in another jurisdiction as long as :

1. They do so in response to a telephone call or previous arrangement. I assume that an electronic summons would be acceptable, as well.

The one jurisidiction in this area that does not subscribe to this agreement is Prince George's County, Maryland. Only PG taxis can pick up there and PG taxis are barred from picking up in any jurisdiction in the Washington Metropolitan Area. The PG drivers and companies honour that rule more in its breech than its keeping.

2. The trip terminates in their jurisdiction of licensure. This means that all of the trips to Alexandria, Fairfax and Woodbridge that Red Top does are illegal. National Airport is legal for Red Top, as that airport is within the confines of Arlington County.

The reason that you see dual licence plates on D.C. cabs is that the owner lives in either Virginia or Maryland. Those states require owners of those vehicles to licence them in their state of residence. Enforcement has, over the years, been inconsistent, but, of late, it has been vicious. A few years back, the drivers who resided in Fairfax County got into a squabble with that jurisdiction over that. The problem was that the cab insurers are not admitted in Virginia, so Virginia would not accept the D.C. Insurance for Virginia plates. The owners did not want to pay for two policies or for a D.C. Policy and the Virginia Uninsured Motorist Fee. Neither the County nor the Commonwealth would do anything to help the drivers. They now pay the D.C. policy and the Virginia Uninsured Motorist Fee. I am not sure what the Maryland drivers are doing.
Phil is this you?
Diamond 333

·
25,459 Posts
Phil is this you? Diamond 333
It is I, allright. Which triple three are you? We had a couple, over the years. Sheskin had that number for some time, but after Robert sold out, it went out to a couple of different drivers. Which one are you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is I, allright. Which triple three are you? We had a couple, over the years. Sheskin had that number for some time, but after Robert sold out, it went out to a couple of different drivers. Which one are you?
Steve L. Remember when I stpped by the dispatch room right after starting with UBER.

·
25,459 Posts
Right. You had that Lincoln crossover the last time that I saw you. Is that what you are driving, still?

I have Uber Taxi and UberX. I drive UberX only enough to stay in the game. Uber Taxi and street hacking still pays better, despite all of these cab drivers' hollering Uber this and Uber that. I'm driving Ford Fusion hybrids both for UberX and Uber Taxi.

You are aware, of course, that 1101 was sold some time back. There is a building full of overpriced condominiums there, now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts