Uber Drivers Forum banner

Would you drive a manual transmission for uber

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in Toronto ubering manual? I never work rush hour I work off hours and middle of the night... I don't have a reg 9-5 job (don't have to do the whole rush hour traffic thing most days)

Considering manual transmission. Also soo many drivers not much demand for full time earnings anymore only adds to my buy what I want versus most practical (es hybrid automatic - so plain and boring tho)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just started Ubering (PT- less than 20hrs/wk) in 2017 and I'm driving a manual transmission. So far 30 trips, and not a single complaints from my customers. Still sitting at 5.0 rating, 92% acceptance, 0% canceled.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
I learned to drive with a manual and had that car for a long time, however I would not drive for uber with a manual if I had the option. Currently drive a hybrid and honestly having to deal with a manual transmission is just one more distraction that I would not want to have.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I drive stick with Uber, and also to/from work during rush hour. I'm only doing 10-15 hours a week. No issue at all. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Actually, one issue is when a big passenger sits in the front. It can be a little awkward to shift. But it's rare enough to not be an issue for me.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My first two cars were manual and I can tell you now that driving a hybrid is a lot more fun than manual. You don't drive a hybrid like a regular car if you want to maximize fuel economy. It's a lot of pulsing and gliding that I don't even use cruise control for the hwys. Also, manual transmission used to be more gas efficient than automatical but it's not the case anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
I can
Anyone in Toronto ubering manual? I never work rush hour I work off hours and middle of the night... I don't have a reg 9-5 job (don't have to do the whole rush hour traffic thing most days)

Considering manual transmission. Also soo many drivers not much demand for full time earnings anymore only adds to my buy what I want versus most practical (es hybrid automatic - so plain and boring tho)
i cannot handle two sticks with one hand lol

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
My first two cars were manual and I can tell you now that driving a hybrid is a lot more fun than manual. You don't drive a hybrid like a regular car if you want to maximize fuel economy. It's a lot of pulsing and gliding that I don't even use cruise control for the hwys. Also, manual transmission used to be more gas efficient than automatical but it's not the case anymore.
What car do you drive? Didn't realize you were a fellow hybrid driver. And you make a good point about driving to maximize fuel economy. I enjoy the challenge of trying to get lower and lower numbers. Been stuck at 5.7L/100Km for a while now though.

I can

i cannot handle two sticks with one hand lol
LOL

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
What car do you drive? Didn't realize you were a fellow hybrid driver. And you make a good point about driving to maximize fuel economy. I enjoy the challenge of trying to get lower and lower numbers. Been stuck at 5.7L/100Km for a while now though.

LOL
2016 prius touring

I was at 3.6 L/100 km over the summer. Winter @ 4.6L / 100km. It's like playing a video game while driving. Keeping it in electric mode as much as I can when cruising.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Manual is not for everyone, it's the aggressiveness and consciousness which most of my Canadian folks are lacking ioi
Unlike all cap drivers in Europe and Asia, majority are stick.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
2016 prius touring

I was at 3.6 L/100 km over the summer. Winter @ 4.6L / 100km. It's like playing a video game while driving. Keeping it in electric mode as much as I can when cruising.
I don't think I'll ever see numbers like that haha. I'd be thrilled to get down to 5.0 (Summer is 5.3-5.4). Of course for me my second biggest challenge with fuel economy is my own weight lol. First is the car itself is larger and heavier than a Prius.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I don't think I'll ever see numbers like that haha. I'd be thrilled to get down to 5.0 (Summer is 5.3-5.4). Of course for me my second biggest challenge with fuel economy is my own weight lol. First is the car itself is larger and heavier than a Prius.
Which hybrid are you driving?

My car is quite heavy, 3300 lbs I think.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've driven a manual Uber for roughly 90,000km in the 905, not a single issue either for myself or the pax. Quite a few compliments actually. It is also an additional safety feature for winter.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The constant changing of gears and pressing the clutch will wear you out, if you're driving for many hours every day.

Stick to an automatic for uber and courier jobs.
You also have a more difficult time texting and driving or dealing with pax. It's one extra thing to worry about. It's not as bad in the suburbs, but if you are dt, even with no traffic you are stopping at every other light.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.