Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some of you are familiar with riders who can’t communicate effectively with you, but a few weeks ago I had my first passenger ever that spoke neither Spanish nor English. And the language he spoke was impossible for me to understand even written: Chinese (Mandarin).

Still, he used Google Translate at the start of the trip. The destination was wrong but he showed me in a map and I was able to locate the destination, the trip was ok.

How do you deal when a rider speaks a language you can’t understand? Is it necessary to communicate effectively with the rider doing rideshare?

·
Administrator
7,528 Posts
I’ve honestly never had a problem with pax that don’t speak English.

We have international students that come to our town to work during the Summer and many are from China and Japan. They speak next to zero English but pointing at the app and gesturing have always worked well.

They’ve always had the correct destination put in so thankfully I haven’t had to deal with that. The only problem I’ve had is they don’t understand when you have to veer off the suggested route due to traffic or something, they always act like I’m kidnapping them.

The Russian and Ukrainian students all want to practice their English whilst riding and I speak passable Spanish.

Google translate is always an option as you seem to have realized.

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Never had a problem with a pax not being able to speak english or communicate effectively.

Drivers OTOH.

·
25,800 Posts
I have not had that, Y-E-T. The Chinese students here mostly speak English very well. Those that do not speak it well can speak enough to get into my car and get out at Point B.

Thus far, every one that I have carried who did not speak English could speak something that I can. I speak Italian, so I can decipher Spanish and can even string together several sentences before it becomes totally Italian. The Francophones, except those from Canada, do have a hard time with my Cajun French, but, we can communicate enough to get from point A to point B. i actually have communicated with passengers in Latin.

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
Maybe some of you are familiar with riders who can't communicate effectively with you, but a few weeks ago I had my first passenger ever that spoke neither Spanish nor English. And the language he spoke was impossible for me to understand even written: Chinese (Mandarin).

Still, he used Google Translate at the start of the trip. The destination was wrong but he showed me in a map and I was able to locate the destination, the trip was ok.

How do you deal when a rider speaks a language you can't understand? Is it necessary to communicate effectively with the rider doing rideshare?
2-3 times pax used translation app
Portuguese- Brazilian lady was the last one.
Usually it somehow works out. Don't know how?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts