Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am one of the lucky few who got my City of Dallas driver ID and car registration sticker a couple of months back...in the mail, and at no apparent charge. I didn't have to go through a vehicle inspection (though apparently I will once it's up for renewal), and Uber never got around to dinging my account for the thirty bucks or whatever that they presumptuously said they'd do.

I had been carrying it around until recently, prepared to show it at Love Field if asked (only happened once, and it was by one of the airport employees who was trying to be helpful...never by a cop).

Point is, I don't want the stigma and ugliness of one of those stickers when I am not driving passengers around. I don't need business associates asking me about it, and I don't want a target for disgruntled cabbies or whoever. I decided to find a good way to affix it with the ability to remove at any time.

I found it. It works well. Thought I'd share.

There is a kind of vinyl that's been around forever...I just didn't know how to ask for it. After a little Googling, I found it's usually called "static vinyl." It's the stuff that a lot of temporary window stickers are made of, as well as decals made to stick in children's books, etc.

You can buy it in sheets, though I didn't readily find it at Hobby Lobby or other stores. Amazon was the easy way: http://amzn.com/B002J6CO9I

I stuck the sticker to the vinyl, cut it out neatly with a paper cutter (though scissors would work fine), and it sticks on contact to the inside of my windshield. Peels off easily.

Only caveat is that you may want to wait for it to cool down after a hot day before removing. The sun makes the adhesive a little melt-y and you're in danger of the sticker separating from the vinyl.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea. I hate when people ask why I have 3 decals.
Did you try Michaels?
I thought about Michael's, but didn't feel like running all over town, and the girl at Hobby Lobby seemed pretty sure I wouldn't find it there, either.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about laminating the stick and just wedging it into the corner? Than Take it out and put it in your visor when you are not using it?
That would probably work, too. I don't know if a cop would raise a stink about it not being permanently affixed. Your suggestion is more convenient, for sure. Mine is hard to distinguish from being stuck on with adhesive, though. It got a good look by a fat cop with a fat ticket pad in his hand last night at Love Field. He walking the line of cars under the Transportation Network signs. He didn't question me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You are lucky and I realize this post is for Dallas ppl.

A Houston Permit Dept employee places the sticker on our window. The person then slices it vertically in two spots, and again horizontally with two cuts so the sticker cannot be transferred to a different car.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
The nice thing about laminating is you can always pull it out and hand it to him.
Although it does defeat the intended "security" purpose of a window sticker. The sticker is supposed to limit the permit to a single vehicle, where a laminated/removable item can be easily swapped from vehicle to vehicle (perhaps a vehicle that would not otherwise pass a safety inspection).

I realize (myself included), that we don't want these stickers visible on our private vehicles when we're not "working"... but the point of it being a sticker is to keep people from cheating the system.

·
Registered
668 Posts
That would probably work, too. I don't know if a cop would raise a stink about it not being permanently affixed. Your suggestion is more convenient, for sure. Mine is hard to distinguish from being stuck on with adhesive, though. It got a good look by a fat cop with a fat ticket pad in his hand last night at Love Field. He walking the line of cars under the Transportation Network signs. He didn't question me.
A cop doesn't give a damn about your sticker in Houston. It's the feckless ARA. ARA is NOT law enforcement and unless they have a warrant (which they won't) keep them the hell out of your car. I lock my doors and drive off. And yes, my TNC and HAS stickers are removable.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Although it does defeat the intended "security" purpose of a window sticker. The sticker is supposed to limit the permit to a single vehicle, where a laminated/removable item can be easily swapped from vehicle to vehicle (perhaps a vehicle that would not otherwise pass a safety inspection).

I realize (myself included), that we don't want these stickers visible on our private vehicles when we're not "working"... but the point of it being a sticker is to keep people from cheating the system.
Then to combat this, if a sticker is found on a car and it does not match, make the fines enormous, ie. $5000 for first offense. Oh, they don't have enough people to enforce it? Tough shit!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Markisonit said:
my TNC . . . stickers are removable.
In one piece? Everyone in Houston I know w/TNC sticker saw the permit person score the sticker horizontally in two places, and vertically in two places so the sticker is now 9 pieces.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
In one piece? Everyone in Houston I know w/TNC sticker saw the permit person score the sticker horizontally in two places, and verticallyl in two places so the sticker is now 9 pieces.
They didn't score mine but I'd still be surprised if I could get it off in one piece. Isn't it stuck just like an inspection or registration sticker? The TNC guy used a razorblade to take last year's off.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
A cop doesn't give a damn about your sticker in Houston. It's the feckless ARA. ARA is NOT law enforcement and unless they have a warrant (which they won't) keep them the hell out of your car. I lock my doors and drive off. And yes, my TNC and HAS stickers are removable.
How did you manage that?

·
Registered
668 Posts
How did you manage that?
If you were to look at my sticker, you'd see that it's in multiple pieces because ARA tampered with it. However, with the techniques I used, you can't even tell it and I have the need to take these stickers off quite often.
The way I view it, it's my car. The numbers on the stickers match. ARA can ***** and raise hell all they want.
My HAS sticker is removeable also as is my trade dress.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts