Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a pax I had to drive from Northdale to the base. He asked me to dump him at the entrance though. I'm pretty sure that they won't allow you past that point without proper identification.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Must differ from each base. Cause now that I think of it I remember going home on leave and took a limo to the airport and the driver was able to pick me up at my barracks. Then again this was before all Hell broke loose a few years later.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I took a lady to the airport who was working at MacDill and was staying at a local hotel. I asked her about that and she said that you have to be authorized to go on the base. She said there is a Taxi on base that shuttles people to the visitors center which is right outside the gate. That's where Uber can pickup and drop off. I also picked up a military guy at that visitors center and he said the same thing. There is also a bus stop there.

However, she also said that if you happen to be authorized already for whatever reason you would be allowed to pickup and drop off inside. I drove a guy to the airport who was thinking of driving for Uber and he said he was authorized to go on base and that if he decided to drive for Uber he would be able to go there and do that. I think that would be nice niche.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am authorized..was just wondering if there was a calling...was at Patrick AFB in Cocoa, and they had no usage, at least while I was there.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think you are one of the few who would be able to answer that since there are probably only a few other drivers with access. (I have seen, via the Passenger App, cars on base before.)

Try it and see. And if demand is low, hand out your promo number/cards. I would think it would be a good business, at least at some times during the day or night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've picked up a couple times on MacDill Air Force Base. But it's easy enough for me because I have a military ID

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a driver you need a DD1173 (dependant ID card) or CAC which is an active/reserve/contractor military ID card. The other thing you can do is stop at the visitor center outside the gate on your right and go through the background check and get a visitor pass but that wouldn't be conducive to your trip. Not only that, you would still need a base affiliated sponsor to get it for you.

You CAN get on base with a passenger id. That much IS true. But as soon as that passenger gets out of your car, you are considered felony trespassing and can be charged on a federal level if you happen to get stopped and asked for identification.

Don't risk it. Call your fare and have them meet you at Dale Mabry Gate or the visitor center. If they can't do that then you'll need to cancel the ride.

While I worked the gates we had uber drivers try to come through. (Before I became a driver) when we find out you don't have base affiliation we are required to annotate your information and run a quick background on you. This will take at least 20 minutes. That's time lost on the road and pisses off your fare.

Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not true.

Source: I'm security forces and uber driver.
Is true for drop offs at least. I did it the other day. Pax had military ID. Security did not care about me, I drove him onto his final destination on the base. Pick ups are a whole nother thing I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is true for drop offs at least. I did it the other day. Pax had military ID. Security did not care about me, I drove him onto his final destination on the base. Pick ups are a whole nother thing I guess.
If you read my next post I explained why it isn't true.

After you PAX is out of the vehicle and if you get stopped for any reason; if you don't produce proper credentials you can be charged with criminal trespassing and you will be barred from the base. How are you going to tell me I'm wrong when I am a Law Enforcement Officer on the base?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Key words are "if you get stopped on base." It is true you can drop off on base no problem, but as Tooezm8 stated, once you're by yourself on installation and if you get pulled over you're in a world of trouble if you don't have any base affiliated credential. It is the taxi companies that get pulled to the side at the gate and get their license ran for a background check every time because they have a marked taxi vehicle, even when there is a military member in the taxi just getting dropped off to wherever on base. Uber drivers dropping off on base is basically the same as a friend dropping off a military friend on base because you're driving your personal vehicle and not a taxi with markings on your vehicle showing you're an uber driver. The gate guard has no idea you're an uber driver unless you tell them. If you follow the rules of the road, then you shouldn't get pulled over. Just ask yourself, "do you feel lucky punk?"

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Is Uber allowed on military installations?
first tmie I had pax that entered inside the base as destination, they stopped us at the gate and I had to let my pax get out there. I suggested they remain in my car and I would wait until we hitch them a ride that is already headed inside. They appreciated it and we were all good.

Next time I had a MP as a pax and he said I should drop him inside. The people at the gate knew him and when we arrived they let us in.
Despite my reluctance and hesitation, they allowed me to go in and drop him off right inside the base in front of that huge building.

I headed out immediately from the closest exit on Bayshore Blvd. I wouldn't take a risk being thought as wandering around with no Military people in my car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like I'll have to pass that along. I don't like hearing that my troops aren't doing their job to ensure the driver has an ID.

Thanks for the heads up. Policies may be changing soon.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Looks like I'll have to pass that along. I don't like hearing that my troops aren't doing their job to ensure the driver has an ID.

Thanks for the heads up. Policies may be changing soon.
Please do so.

I don't want myself or anyone being burned by ignorance. I respect authority and the military and I would never do anything to taint my law abiding citizen status.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts