Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting this up for discussion. I think Lyft's strategy (nation-wide as far as I can tell) of doing these 50% off rate sales the past two weeks is really brilliant given the timing.

The timing was well-planned and quite intentional I think. The sales are coming right before the students come back everywhere in the country, and Millenials are some of ride-booking's main customers, and in cities like Philly where they really needed to promote the brand, the sales are great for getting new customers. The point right now I think was really to hurt Uber, and particularly to get Uber drivers off the road and onto Lyft or just offline permanently before a substantial part of the customer base comes back. And by doing this now, when demand is low anyway, they're probably losing a lot less money than if they had done it in September. But the word of mouth is great - and people keep telling me they like Lyft better - their Uber drivers are grumpy, are trying to screw them with longer than necessary routes, and the cars are getting junkier. Uber has actually lowered the age requirement to the year 2000 (check the site if you don't believe it.)

I'm pretty sure no one who only does Uber is making much money this week. The Billy Joel concert was just the nail in the coffin. Due to the lack of tips, guarantees and bonuses available on Lyft for drivers, Uber is only worth it if you're able to catch a couple of juicy surges every week - otherwise your hourly is just too low even if you only do the suburbs and get lucky with long trips. With Lyft completely destroying any chances of surges this week, a lot of Uber-only drivers have to be really, really angry.

Again, if anybody needs a referral code, just PM me and we'll split $1500.

·
Super Moderator
15,949 Posts
Just putting this up for discussion. I think Lyft's strategy (nation-wide as far as I can tell) of doing these 50% off rate sales the past two weeks is really brilliant given the timing.

The timing was well-planned and quite intentional I think. The sales are coming right before the students come back everywhere in the country, and Millenials are some of ride-booking's main customers, and in cities like Philly where they really needed to promote the brand, the sales are great for getting new customers. The point right now I think was really to hurt Uber, and particularly to get Uber drivers off the road and onto Lyft or just offline permanently before a substantial part of the customer base comes back. And by doing this now, when demand is low anyway, they're probably losing a lot less money than if they had done it in September. But the word of mouth is great - and people keep telling me they like Lyft better - their Uber drivers are grumpy, are trying to screw them with longer than necessary routes, and the cars are getting junkier. Uber has actually lowered the age requirement to the year 2000 (check the site if you don't believe it.)

I'm pretty sure no one who only does Uber is making much money this week. The Billy Joel concert was just the nail in the coffin. Due to the lack of tips, guarantees and bonuses available on Lyft for drivers, Uber is only worth it if you're able to catch a couple of juicy surges every week - otherwise your hourly is just too low even if you only do the suburbs and get lucky with long trips. With Lyft completely destroying any chances of surges this week, a lot of Uber-only drivers have to be really, really angry.

The only problem with 50% off sales is customers later expect to pay the same 50% off.

This will ultimately be unsustainable unless Lyft can reduce its operating expenses, marketing expenses, lobbying expenses, driver payments......

wait a minute....

yea sure!!! That's it!!!

Lyft can keep fares low by reducing driver payments.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Exactly, eventually lyft will be in the same boat. It might be great right now.. But in a couple weeks when the sales are over, uber will no longer be threatened.

·
Registered
459 Posts

I guess for a consumer it's like chosing between Pepsi and Coke, its all about religion. Also I think uber app is more apealing than pink (annoying) lyft app. so taking that into account, some customer will just stick to uber for most times. especially the ones with money, who do not really care for 50% cut. same thing applies to drivers. it is so much easier, visually and technically to use uber app.

even though, if there is more money to be made in lyft i will totally enjoy the pink.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.