Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
It says what I figured out a while back... the driver does more work on a pool, and Uber (and Lyft) make more money

2 pax matched on a pool each getting a 30% discount means the rideshare company makes 140% of the normal fare... while paying the driver 100%

more work, less pay, the new American way.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
It says what I figured out a while back... the driver does more work on a pool, and Uber (and Lyft) make more money

2 pax matched on a pool each getting a 30% discount means the rideshare company makes 140% of the normal fare... while paying the driver 100%

more work, less pay, the new American way.
Good point. The reporter misunderstands driver efficiency.

"Those fares can drop up to 50% without hurting the company's net revenue and can make its driver pool up to twice as efficient."

Nope - pooling while paying the driver the same amount can increase the productivity of the driver, not his efficiency. Two different things entirely. The former benefits the company; the latter would benefit the driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It may not be true of all cities, but in Austin one is not permitted to use cell phones while driving, or handheld devices.

The concept of the UBERpool offering to customers in Austin puts the driver into a position where it is virtually impossible to support the product without violating the law. So with each POOL request where there is an add-on to an in-progress trip, UBER is both subourning a crime and an accomplis before the fact - to a crime that the driver is forced into, sometimes unwittingly.

The only option for the driver who wishes to be repectful of the law is to refuse or ignore all add-ons for UBERpool. Actually, to refuse it by letting it expire is the only 'no touch' way to handle it.

Any comments? Please let me know your thoughts. :)>

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A matched ride means a much healthier profit margin (for Uber). Many passengers assume drivers get a cut of each fare they have in the car. But drivers are paid the same mile-and-minute rate as always, whether they're carrying one party or more. That changes the equation completely - even with fares discounted 30% or 40%, Uber and Lyft actually recoup more on a well-matched ride while paying the driver the same amount. (Both companies emphasize that while drivers don't earn more for taking carpools, they often end up having longer rides - from picking up passenger A to dropping off passenger B - which means they have less downtime.)

I just communicated with Ellen Huet. She confirmed that UberPool & LyftLine riders are paying Fares higher than the amounts that the payouts to Drivers are based on!

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
The light came on for me when I picked up two separate pool pax from a concert letting out and took them to the same dorm at USC... I thought, both pax got a 30% discount from the X fare... so Uber got 70%X2=140% of the regular X fare... I got 100%, Uber made 40% extra on that ride, at my expense.

I did not get a longer ride because of pool, and another driver did not have a paying fare because I took 2.

Uber, the partner who sleeps with your wife.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You guys are brilliant. How many of you have opted out? Do you receive a warning every week for not accepting as many rides as other partners? What will it take for a driver to say no?
Uber Gutter? Uber BeachParty? I'd wager serious money if Uber sent email notifications that if you didn't try Uber BeachParty at least once to commemorate the one year anniversary of Uber Pool you risked deactivation. Over half the drivers would participate. We are a very dim witted group!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts