Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yup, Lyft is going to launch sometime in August in Portland. If you sign up to drive you have to actually meet with a person, otherwise it's pretty much going to be the same as Uber around here. Could be a good opportunity to cash in on rider referrals depending on what they offer - I'm going to give my Lyft code to all Uber passengers I get. Hopefully Lyft will have better rates...we'll see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Signed up for Lyft because of this and already met the mentor. Rad guy for sure and he said by end of July. They just need as many drivers as possible to start. I'm going to try to cash in just like you Nova. Pass out cards and such. I wasn't a part of when Uber first came here so if I can cash in on Lyft referrals I totally will!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly the guy is super great and it's laid back. He basically gets your insurance info, license, and registration and just chats with you. Really easy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
does he inspect your car? I heard lyft does that as well, which I think is a good idea actually. I am meeting with him this week as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I applied. After the background check authorization it says" not in Portland Maine yet but a mentor will contact." I'll wait and see.
Hey classad98! Did the same. I signed up and my results seemed to differ from the info I was hearing on this thread, but I was contacted within a day by the mentor via text and am meeting him today. No worries you're bound to hear from him right away despite the app indicating something to the effect of LYFT not in Portland yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I signed up for Lyft but I am on a wait list....I guess that means Portland will be saturated already with drivers......the only benefit i can see is that Lyft allows for tips on the app

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I met with the Rep yesterday. He told me there was already almost 100 drivers signed up for lyft.... I'm not holding my breath, hahaha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive gotten about 5 pings just last night on Lyft. Not many drivers out using it either. I doubt there is 100 drivers signed up for it here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Marketing person for Lyft should be FIRED.. what a joke, I signed on for an hour mid day over weekend, nothing, people are not even aware its available

why would any of us drive for them if Uber will guarantee us the $25 an hour ? and it does work, I made $350 and Uber came through on their promise gave me another $150 Net, was a huge help

Lyft had better smarten up if they intend to compete

·
Registered
35 Posts
I signed up for Lyft but I am on a wait list....I guess that means Portland will be saturated already with drivers......the only benefit i can see is that Lyft allows for tips on the app
Just made the 50 minimum rides by deadline 8/20 for the #200 bonus with Lyft. People are tipping well with Lyft. They like it better than Uber.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had two Lyft pings so far - one was a ride from the Jetport to Cape Neddick - an hour plus ride because of all the traffic through Wells/Ogunquit. A nice guy who tipped $20 cash. My second ping was a no-show and I love how Lyft does it, a 5 minute countdown automatically appears and at the end of 5 minutes I was prompted to call the passenger. I did and got voicemail so when I went to cancel the ride I was shown the destination - a half mile up the road so I knew I was making more by cancelling than I would driving the guy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lyft seems to be a better deal but what kind of company opens for business in a town and then has no local mentors to facilitate the mandatory mentor meetings. I have been trying to get set up with a local mentor for more than a month but all I get is people out of the Boston area. I have been texted by 13 mentors but all are a hundred or so miles away.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
What kind of demand is Lyft seeing in Portland?
It seems like their marketing was very lackluster; other than the press releases 1st of August I haven't heard much about them. I haven't heard much about them from Uber passengers either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts