Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 20-Mar-2019, Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) filed a federal lawsuit against Lyft at The United States District Court for the Northern District of California. According to the complaint, the San Francisco-based ride-hailing app excludes persons with mobility disabilities who need wheelchair-accessible vehicles (WAVs) in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I hadn't read the Complaint, but, at least according to the Forbes article, Lyft had an "access" mode on their app, but when a customer requested a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV), Lyft directed them to paratransit and other non-comparable outside services."

If DRA is successful, expect rideshare companies to provide incentives to provide WAVs. They aren't going to do it unless forced to because their business model is essentially commission-based.

Forbes article on disability lawsuit - www.forbes.com

According to the article, a suit against Uber was filed last October on the same issue.

·
25,005 Posts
The Washington Lawyer's Committee and the Equal Rights Centre here sued Uber over this some time back. Uber was addressing the accessible demand here through the Uber Taxi platform. The do-gooders sued because the wheelchair bound could not get a ride for UberX rates. Uber does offer Uber Assist and Uber WAV here. There are not many drivers on the platform because Uber can not find too many people who are willing to spend 2019 dollars on an accessible so that they can hit the street and collect 1979 cab fares.

VIA addresses this by paying one or two cab drivers a flat twenty dollars the hour to be on duty for an eight hour shift. The hackers can run whatever they want, but, if they are available, they must respond to an accessible request. If they have a customer when the request comes in, they must cover it as soon as they discharge the passenger. As they are being paid by the hour, it is no big deal to go chasing a request.

In this market, to my knowledge, Lyft has nothing to meet a demand for an accessible.

Reactions: Jo3030

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
For a hot minute, Uber was trying to get X drivers to pick up people in wheelchairs. Here's the thing- picking up people in wheelchairs takes extra time and effort, and I had to help them get out and back into their chairs, as well as help break the chairs down and store the chairs. I have NEVER received a tip from any of them despite all I did to get them to their destinations. So no, I'm not picking up anyone who's in a wheelchair. My mom is in a wheelchair and she tips CONSIDERABLY because she knows how much time it takes to get her situated, and how much effort it takes to get her in and strapped down safely. Plus, taxis don't start the meter until after she's strapped in and everything. Sometimes, she tips more than her ride!

We're getting ready to see a play at MGM, and I'm about to recruit one of her favorite drivers to be on standby for the day. We have a big trip planned as well, and the whole deal is going to put about 250 miles on some poor schmuck's car. I talked to my mom, and had her set aside a good chunk of change. Our driver is gonna get about 800 bucks for the day. There's no wheelchair bound person that's willing to pay like that for someone's time. If I get paid like that, then I'll cart them around all damn day. Until then, I'm driving off if I drive up and see someone waiting in a wheelchair.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I can count on one hand the number of times I had to store a folding wheelchair. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t want to be “that guy” because eventually we will all need wheelchairs, canes, or scooters when we get old. Karma, ya know?

·
25,005 Posts
We used to have this lady in a foldable wheelchair who went from the NEA on 16th Street to the 1700 block of P Street, N.W. Often, she was my "going home" job, as I lived at 17th at New Hampshire.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If the person requires physical assistance to transfer in and out of the wheelchair, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit if the person falls or gets hurt while you are assisting. I was working through an agency when a client went down while I was trying to help her get into a wheelchair from a car seat (her legs were weak), plus she didn't get hurt, plus she knew me for several years and we were kind of buddies..... but a random driver who is not trained to do transfers and is not under an agency's liability coverage, should not risk helping a ride-share rider in that way. Not only that, but the driver could get a back injury or something using improper technique, or the rider could claim you damaged the wheelchair when handling it.

If the person can't handle the wheelchair alone and transfer alone, and the person does not have a human aid to help do those things, you shouldn't take the risks. If U/L haven't already clarified somewhere, they should (if they have, perhaps someone could tell me where to look).

·
25,005 Posts
Fubar and Gryft have clarified it, allright: do not haul the customer and you will not be hauling any more of these customers, unless you get a hack licence, that is. If you refuse to haul them in your cab, not only will DFHV take your hack licence, it will restore it to you so that it can take it a second time.

Refuse to carry them and it is Deactivation Station for you.

These statements should not be taken to be either in support of or disagreement with these policies. This is just how it is. Hillary did not win, so, you are not required to like it, but, still you are required to do it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Fubar and Gryft have clarified it, allright: do not haul the customer and you will not be hauling any more of these customers, unless you get a hack licence, that is. If you refuse to haul them in your cab, not only will DFHV take your hack licence, it will restore it to you so that it can take it a second time.

Refuse to carry them and it is Deactivation Station for you.

These statements should not be taken to be either in support of or disagreement with these policies. This is just how it is. Hillary did not win, so, you are not required to like it, but, still you are required to do it.
I guess I need to scour U/L stuff for where they say drivers have to be able to lift a certain amount of weight, carry, bend, reach, etc, and where they say people with physical disabilities can't be drivers because they can't physically handle wheelchairs and physically assist with human transfers. They may also have to also require proof from drivers of training certification which is required of professional caregivers to provide such physical assistance.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a 2005 Chrysler T&C converted by Entervan or similar. With the weight of hydraulics, batteries, sleds (rear and both side entry), the suspension had to be upgraded. Then the transmission was upgraded to handle extra weight. Then brakes were upgraded to stop all that weight. Then the air conditioner was upgraded because the door panels and roof were modified for all extra gear. It's a very cool ride in summer and winter. on board CO2 tank, 3600watt inverter (roof air, chargers for chairs).

Damn thing gets 7-9mpg, can carry 1 front seated person beside driver, and 3 scooter / wheel chair / autochair combination. I haven't ran it in couple of years other than word of mouth request for church or hospital. Probably only qualifies for basic of tnc since only 4 passengers. Maybe black due to dark dark blue color.

Then insurance got crazy high because of CO2 being on board and huge Lithium battery bank (saves weight).I could not afford to run it even running under U or L insurance. I can't even afford to bring it to TX because TX requires insurance to register / get title.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... on board CO2 tank ... Then insurance got crazy high because of CO2 being on board and ...
Whatever do you use the CO2 for? The only things I've heard of is airing tires when off-roading and given that it's Texas, maybe taking care of runaway barbecues.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pressurized the fire suppression system for the Lithium Batteries and provided fire suppression for the Motor / Electric works. It was a requirement in Missouri due to total weight of "Flammable Metals".

Interesting note is that once Lithium begins to burn, it is quite difficult to extinguish. CO2 would accelerate the fire by providing additional oxygen from CO2 breaking apart at high heat. As I understood the process... CO2 liquid flowed into the battery through metal plates, cooling it and becoming a Vapor which then pressurized the suppression system which discharged into battery box. I seem to remember being based on finely ground / powdered salt of some sort, possibly same as table salt. Something about the salt is poisonous to Lithium metal and converts to inert form I think. CO2 Vapor could be applied to motor / electrics compartment to suppress fire there. I think either side of system being triggered caused both sides to be triggered. Pretty sure there was a foam activator for the fuel cell (gasoline) as well but I don't remember details about it.

The Lithium battery bank was also designed to drop and be pushed away from vehicle. I don't think fuel cell and motor works had that 'feature'.

A few stations of firefighters received material on the system for education / training. I also had to keep a copy of the binder in van as well.

Reactions: unitacx

·
Registered
321 Posts
Knew this was never going to take off.
You'd have to pay me like $20 a trip to take one of these.
You are not very far off. Medstar and the like pay paltry per mile when driving company vehicle. Sometimes hourly. My rate started with $20, and accumulated from there. In other words, guaranteed $20.01+. And I typically had a route already planned for the day. Not the shortest by any means, but one that made riders the most comfortable and didn't mess up a van with a 'taco' underneath.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts