Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Dylan. Lyft's sign on bonus is the reason I am posting this thread today. This is my first time posting on this website. I've been driving for uber since November 2016, and drovefor lyft for the month of April 2017, but ripped their stickers off of my windshields yesterday, and I'd like to tell you why, and if anyone else out there has endured what I am about to recount, I'd love to talk to you about it.

I'll get to the point, we've all seen lyft's recent fb promos; drive and complete (x) amount of trips in (y) amount of time and receive (z) amount of money. Mine was "complete 150 trips by April 28th and receive $350.00". Easy, I thought. In Pittsburgh, less people both drive and ride with lyft. When I uber I complete on average 8-10 trips per hour, vs lyft's 4-5 per hour. I sat around and wasted time during the shifts I drove exclusively for lyft to reach the sign on bonus. I became obsessed with reaching the goal, imagining how easier my life will be with that $350.00. One night recently I drove nearly 16 hours from 6pm Thursday 4/26 to 11am Friday 4/27 (I can screenshot my ride history if anyone doesn't believe me). The app finally kicked me off and said get some rest. I woke back up on 4/27 2017 at 7:00pm, panicked, assuming my insentive ends on midnight 4/28 (I honestly would've been ok with that). I started driving again, and two hours flew by and I had only gotten four trips. It was 10:21pm and I emailed lyft support and asked for specifics on when the bonus ends. A seemingly robotic reply from lyft, to sum up, said the promotion ends 4/27 at 10:30pm eastern standard time but we know you can do this dylan you're so close". This was soul crushing and cruel. This is why I am writing this. They changed the rules to rip me off. They tricked me into driving hours on end for them, they tricked me into not driving for uber for days, an entire week to be exact. I lost money doing so. In Pittsburgh I made on average $14 an hour no surge with lyft. Uber I make easily $30 an hour no surge. I fell behind on my bills driving exclusively for lyft. I was having trouble affording gas. It was all to achieve this dumb sign on bonus that I have now realized even if they had kept their word and paid me, they basically owed me this money after everything I'd sacrificed to reach this bonus.

As of 24 hours ago I'm driving for uber only, again. I urge anyone driving for lyft to hold them accountable for shit like this. Not what happened to me specifically, I understand the sense of unity I'm assuming this forum may possess only goes so far. I'm not rallying a class action suit or anything, merely sharing this shitty thing that happened to me with fellow drivers, hoping to find others who have experienced this cruel and unethical shit. I'm sure somewhere in the fine print lyft's ass is covered but, I dont even know where to find the fine print so I can see it for myself.

This is long winded as is so I'll stop. I'm all outta wind anyway from the exhaustion marathoning for lyft inflicted on me. It's been a little over 24 hours and I still feel like I'm having acid flashbacks when I sit down and stand up.

Thanks for reading.

(P.s please don't blame me for "waiting til the last minute to complete the trips. As I said above, it was extremely time consuming to complete even 10 per day. I really tried my best. I had to switch over to uber every time because I was going broke.)

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
150 or nothing is not a good program. It would be better to tier it out 50, 100, 150. Like $50 bonus for 50 rides, $150 for 100, $350 for 150... Something like that. This sounds like what Uber is rumored to be doing, if they know a driver is doing Lyft and Uber they give more rides to the Uber driver doing that so they don't have time to do Lyft. With this Lyft bonus program the only way someone could get to 150 is do Lyft exclusively.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sucks, how many trips did you make toward the bonus?
145 trips I had completed when I finally emailed them at 10:21pm on April 27th. I could've completed 5 more in 90 minutes if I got lucky with short trips.

150 or nothing is not a good program. It would be better to tier it out 50, 100, 150. Like $50 bonus for 50 rides, $150 for 100, $350 for 150... Something like that. This sounds like what Uber is rumored to be doing, if they know a driver is doing Lyft and Uber they give more rides to the Uber driver doing that so they don't have time to do Lyft. With this Lyft bonus program the only way someone could get to 150 is do Lyft exclusively.
Precisely, and doing exclusively lyft hurt my bank account so badly. Idk how it is anywhere else but lyft Pittsburgh sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Wow so close. Should have given you some for effort.

Anyway thanks for bringing this up, if anything else you might save many more from trying to go for the bonus if it is a high number like that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
mine is 150 trips for $600...they gave me 30 days to do it in

It took me 25 days... but did it... I worked to get a certain amount every week. Met my weekly goals, and the last week, I just pushed through and got the thing done! It did feel good...but sorry for your situation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I uber I complete on average 8-10 trips per hour, vs lyft's 4-5 per hour.
These numbers are extremely high to me.

Your Uber average of 8-10 trips per hour means sometimes you get 6, sometimes you get 12 (i.e. 5 minutes per trip) which is pretty damn insane. Even in my market, the holy land of quick trips of minimum fare, I'd be really lucky to get 5 trips per hour. Most I got is probably 4, with overall average probably around 2.5 (because sometimes I do get those 10+ minute trips).

Also, with your Lyft average of 4-5 trips per hour (let's just say 4, as it's the lower end), that means you only need to drive for 150/4 = ~38 hours to get 150 trips. So you only need to drive less than 40 hours in April to get your bonus. The difficulty of achieving this will of course depend on how many hours you can dedicate to driving, but 40 hours in a month doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. That's only about 10 hours per week.

Unless I embarrassingly botched my math, something doesn't sound right here. Are you sure that your average trips per hour numbers that you stated above accurate?

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Lyft sign-on bonuses are designed to be impossible to achieve, IMO. I realized within a day or two of driving that at the rate I was going there was no way I would come close.
From what I've heard most of the Lyft bonuses are from 50 to 110 rides depending on the city and can pay anywhere from $100 to $500. I would do 110 rides in 30 days for an extra $500. That's very achievable.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
From what I've heard most of the Lyft bonuses are from 50 to 110 rides depending on the city and can pay anywhere from $100 to $500. I would do 110 rides in 30 days for an extra $500. That's very achievable.
Depends on the city, but 110 rides in 30 days would be extremely difficult in Reno on Lyft. A lot of days I will be logged on Lyft for 8+ hours and only get 1-3 rides.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
These numbers are extremely high to me.

Your Uber average of 8-10 trips per hour means sometimes you get 6, sometimes you get 12 (i.e. 5 minutes per trip) which is pretty damn insane. Even in my market, the holy land of quick trips of minimum fare, I'd be really lucky to get 5 trips per hour. Most I got is probably 4, with overall average probably around 2.5 (because sometimes I do get those 10+ minute trips).

Also, with your Lyft average of 4-5 trips per hour (let's just say 4, as it's the lower end), that means you only need to drive for 150/4 = ~38 hours to get 150 trips. So you only need to drive less than 40 hours in April to get your bonus. The difficulty of achieving this will of course depend on how many hours you can dedicate to driving, but 40 hours in a month doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. That's only about 10 hours per week.

Unless I embarrassingly botched my math, something doesn't sound right here. Are you sure that your average trips per hour numbers that you stated above accurate?
I know, thought the same thing on the 8-10 per hour. Maybe in a really small town or area. That is like 7 minutes per trip on the low end and is only possible if there is no wait time for the riders and next to 0 time to drive and pick up. Lets say it is even 3 minutes each pickup and 1 minute wait, that is 32 minutes out of the hour gone. So that means 8 trips would have to be done in 28 minutes after picking up. That is a little more than 3 minutes per. Some trips in my area take 15-20 minutes. You could wait 4 minutes at 1 stop light.

I think this guy was transformed into a time traveler.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Its stupid for you to go 96.67% of the way and quit before getting your $350. Either do it or dont, but don't almost do it and get nothing. If were going to fail because you ran out of time trying hard, then it is what it is, but you quit sorry to see you do that.

-=>Raja.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I know 5 trips short, that is like an hour.
Depends on your city and the day of the week. That would be like 18 hours around here sometimes. Even on Uber, 5 trips is going to be more than that here. I spent about 4 hours to do 5 trips this morning on Uber.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi my name is Dylan. Lyft's sign on bonus is the reason I am posting this thread today. This is my first time posting on this website.

Easy, I thought. In Pittsburgh, less people both drive and ride with lyft. When I uber I complete on average 8-10 trips per hour, vs lyft's 4-5 per hour...

...In Pittsburgh I made on average $14 an hour no surge with lyft. Uber I make easily $30 an hour no surge. I fell behind on my bills driving exclusively for lyft. I was having trouble affording gas.
You were doing at an incredible rate of 4-5 trips with Lyft and you still couldn't meet your 150 trips in about 1 month's time? You should've been able to hit that mark little over a week and definitely been able to afford to buy gas making $14/hour. Something doesn't smell right...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts