Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured I'll bite and opt in this week, see if it makes a difference. Very first ride out of the gate takes me from Bellagio to Warm Springs & Pecos. No way within reason to get back into the guarantee zone within my 10 minute alotment, so I just stay online and take a local ride that pushes me even further away.

Has anyone actually benefitted from this "guarantee"?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I make more without it, plus it doesn't leave me just worrying about lyft riders, who I might say have became just as shitty as uber riders. I guess all the idiots jumped off uber and now taking lyft.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
So I figured I'll bite and opt in this week, see if it makes a difference. Very first ride out of the gate takes me from Bellagio to Warm Springs & Pecos. No way within reason to get back into the guarantee zone within my 10 minute alotment, so I just stay online and take a local ride that pushes me even further away.

Has anyone actually benefitted from this "guarantee"?
Noob error!

The first rule of Lyft hourly bonuses (they're not guarantees) is refuse all trips which take you out of the bonus zone. Some drivers tell pax that they can't take the trip because they have to get home/get to their other job/etc soon. Others say their car is low on gas. I just tell the truth, which is that some drivers are working for fares at the moment while others, like me, are working for hourly pay, and unfortunately Lyft has set the hourly pay zone very small, and their ride is not within its limits. Suggest that the pax cancel and rerequest, hoping to catch a "for fares" driver.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you, it was an error to chase this bonus. If I have to cancel pings to make it work, it isn't for me.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I agree with you, it was an error to chase this bonus. If I have to cancel pings to make it work, it isn't for me.
No, you misunderstood - in my opinion it's not an error to go for the bonus; they can lucrative. But, because Lyft requires the pickups to be done in only a small pickup area, then naturally you can't take trips that take you out of that area.

They really should modify their system so that they only send local in-bonus-area trips to those signed up for the hourly bonuses. Until they do that though, you have to filter out the non-suitable trips yourself.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, you misunderstood - in my opinion it's not an error to go for the bonus; they can lucrative. But, because Lyft requires the pickups to be done in only a small pickup area, then naturally you can't take trips that take you out of that area.

They really should modify their system so that they only send local in-bonus-area trips to those signed up for the hourly bonuses. Until they do that though, you have to filter out the non-suitable trips yourself.
And then there is a required 90% acceptance rate.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
And then there is a required 90% acceptance rate.
Yeah, it used to be 90% acceptance rate just within the bonus hour bands. But, as the saying goes, they "altered the deal". Now it's 90% weekly acceptance. Still doable, though - you just get pax to cancel. If they voice any resistance, you just tell them that the policy has changed, and cancelled-by-driver now costs the pax $10 instead of the $5 if they do it.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it used to be 90% acceptance rate just within the bonus hour bands. But, as the saying goes, they "altered the deal". Now it's 90% weekly acceptance. Still doable, though - you just get pax to cancel. If they voice any resistance, you just tell them that the policy has changed, and cancelled-by-driver now costs the pax $10 instead of the $5 if they do it.
Have you ever considered selling timeshare?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Have you ever considered selling timeshare?
Lol, no... in everyday life I'm quite an honest person. But in this game the rules are different. Being honest / a straight arrow in this is a handicap and puts you at a big disadvantage. Like going into a figurative street punch-up against Uber, Lyft and pax, and you have one hand tied behind your back.

This bonus scheme that draws you out of the bonus area is just one example. Solution: filter rides and get pax to cancel. Is it fair to pax? Absolutely not, but we didn't invent the rules of the game.

The magical mystery game of chance that is Prime Time is another example. It's not fair to pull drivers into a PT zone, send them a ping and then tell them it was only 1x at the end of the ride.

Then there are the unannounced fare corrections where they just take your earnings without telling you, lies from pax trying to rip you off and have their fares refunded, cancelling their rides mid trip etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I said above, if I need to cancel pax to play the bonus game, it's not a game worth playing. Pax aren't game pieces, they are people that just want a ride, and you are literally stealing $5 from them when you lie to them and convince them to cancel. They didn't design the game.

I had one group of milennials try to pull a cancel as they got in the car. They didn't even seem embarrassed when I called them on it. Never had one cancel mid-trip, but when it happens, I will honor their wishes and out they go.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Pax aren't game pieces, they are people that just want a ride
I'm not a game piece either. I would like fair treatment in exchange for an honest day's work. That's not an option in the Uberlyft game though - they didn't write that part in when they wrote the rules.
you are literally stealing $5 from them when you lie to them and convince them to cancel.
No, I also tell the pax to contact support and ask them to refund them the cancellation fee. I know from experience as a pax that Lyft refunds them.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a game piece either. I would like fair treatment in exchange for an honest day's work. That's not an option in the Uberlyft game though - they didn't write that part in when they wrote the rules.
No, I also tell the pax to contact support and ask them to refund them the cancellation fee. I know from experience as a pax that Lyft refunds them.
But wait, you just said you (lie to them and) tell them that if they cancel, it will cost them $5 but if you cancel, it will cost them $10. Which is it?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you tell them if they cancel themselves, it will only cost them $5, or do you tell them they can contact Lyft and get it removed? And to recap, you do lie to them and tell them that you are a classification of driver that can't take them, right?

I'm not judging you, I'm honestly not, this is a tough business, but I'm unwilling to trade out my integrity for a bonus.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Do you tell them if they cancel themselves, it will only cost them $5, or do you tell them they can contact Lyft and get it removed?
Correct, but that's just an incentivisation technique. Like on late night TV infomercials. "You too can have a full set of Ginsu knives for $39.99. But wait - order now and we will rush them to you for only $19.99!". The cost of the knives isn't $39.99. It never was. It was always $19.99. Similar principle here. You add the bit about them being refunded at the end as the closer. It's called "objection removal". You remove the customer's objections to them doing whatever you want them to do, i.e. buy a car, cancel a ride, whatever. It's just basic sales training.
And to recap, you do lie to them and tell them that you are a classification of driver that can't take them, right?
No, as I said, I tell them the truth, which is that I am driving for hourly pay, and their ride is not within the hourly pay zone.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correct, but that's just an incentivisation technique. Like on late night TV infomercials. "You too can have a full set of Ginsu knives for $39.99. But wait - order now and we will rush them to you for only $19.99!". The cost of the knives isn't $39.99. It never was. It was always $19.99. Similar principle here. You add the bit about them being refunded at the end as the closer. It's called "objection removal". You remove the customer's objections to them doing whatever you want them to do, i.e. buy a car, cancel a ride, whatever. It's just basic sales training.
No, as I said, I tell them the truth, which is that I am driving for hourly pay, and their ride is not within the hourly pay zone.
Lying is lying. Untruths on an infomercial don't justify untruths in daily life.

And you don't exactly work for hourly pay.....

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Lying is lying. Untruths on an infomercial don't justify untruths in daily life.
No, it's not the infomercial that justifies it. I justify it based on the circumstances. I probably would have thought the same as you when I first started. But after three years of dealing with shit from Uber, Lyft and their pax, one's attitude changes, believe me.
And you don't exactly work for hourly pay.....
Correct; you won't be if you take rides out of the bonus zone.

Anyway, let's resume this in about a year, assuming we're both still here. You can tell me then if your point of view has changed. Until then, each to his own I guess.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, it's not the infomercial that justifies it. I justify it based on the circumstances. I probably would have thought the same as you when I first started. But after three years of dealing with shit from Uber, Lyft and their pax, one's attitude changes, believe me.
Correct; you won't be if you take rides out of the bonus zone.

Anyway, let's resume this in about a year, assuming we're both still here. You can tell me then if your point of view has changed. Until then, each to his own I guess.
I've dealt with customers who want to get over on me for 30 years, I predict that my attitude won't change in 1 year or 10 years of doing this.....Not that any of us will be doing this in 10 years.

I come from a family that would justify any unethical behavior on the grounds of "the end justifying the means," and, of course, on it not being wrong if we don't get caught. I've worked a good part of my adult life to distance myself from that worldview.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wow you are like the uber/word police. 1 month on the board and you are all high and mighty PrestonT

Still bringing up the deadly force argument in almost every other thread you comment in.

How about you do rideshare your way and let everyone else worry about everyone else. We don't need an ethics lesson on an Uber Forum

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow you are like the uber/word police. 1 month on the board and you are all high and mighty PrestonT

Still bringing up the deadly force argument in almost every other thread you comment in.

How about you do rideshare your way and let everyone else worry about everyone else. We don't need an ethics lesson on an Uber Forum
How about this, kid: I will rail against lying to and cheating people EVERY TIME the topic comes up. If you don't like what I write, how about you put me on ignore and stop stalking my posts like a lovestruck 15 year old?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts